KoF '95 without the ROM card

KoF '95 without the ROM card

Lo,

A friend of mine bought PAL King of Fighters 95 (without ROM card) for 50 pence for me, and i'll get it by mail next week... now I've read that the game will only work with the card
sad.gif


<techie mode enabled>

Now I've been thinking, as I do have a AR 4M plus hooked up via a comms card. Now I'm not really sure on the address space issues, but shouldn't I be able to upload the ROM's contents to the carts' RAM using SSFEXE or similar so that the game might think it's the ROM card? Is the AR's RAM at the same location as the ROM? Has the rom ever been dumped?
 
KoF '95 without the ROM card

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Jun 12, 2003 @ 04:28 PM

<techie mode enabled>

Now I've been thinking, as I do have a AR 4M plus hooked up via a comms card. Now I'm not really sure on the address space issues, but shouldn't I be able to upload the ROM's contents to the carts' RAM using SSFEXE or similar so that the game might think it's the ROM card? Is the AR's RAM at the same location as the ROM? Has the rom ever been dumped?

Won't work.

While running a game, the AR's flash ROM can't be written or read (and besides that it's only 512KB).

And the AR's RAM is volatile; you'd have to upload to its RAM while the console is turned on... and it still wouldn't work. DRAM has to be re-written after reading (usually), and since the game is looking for mask ROM it will only read. You'd have to upload the ROM data continuously.
 

mal

Established Member
KoF '95 without the ROM card

I don't think the cart has actually been dumped yet anyway.
 
KoF '95 without the ROM card

Originally posted by mal@Jun 12, 2003 @ 06:22 PM

I don't think the cart has actually been dumped yet anyway.

Can't be anyway... unless you want to make a Saturn cart copier? They don't exist, mostly because there are a grand total of two games which use cartridge ROM...

However, if you know what you're doing, it could be done using an EEPROM reader...
 

mal

Established Member
KoF '95 without the ROM card

Well duh.
tongue.gif


I've had enough arcade PCBs dumped to know that it's possible.

Maybe I should track down a copy of KOF 95...
 
KoF '95 without the ROM card

It only runs about $10-$15. It should be hard to get. I got the entire KOF Best Collection (box set with KOF95, 96, 97 with KOF95 ROM cart) for $25 and that was a few years ago when Saturn was more in demand..
 

antime

Extra Hard Mid Boss
KoF '95 without the ROM card

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jun 13, 2003 @ 12:00 AM

And the AR's RAM is volatile; you'd have to upload to its RAM while the console is turned on... and it still wouldn't work. DRAM has to be re-written after reading (usually), and since the game is looking for mask ROM it will only read. You'd have to upload the ROM data continuously.

The Saturn should take care of A-bus RAM refresh, no problems there. What would be more problematic is if the KoF cart's layout didn't correspond to the RAM cart's.
 
Top