Lunar Silver Star Story Translations

Jaded God

Established Member
I just had this spur of the moment idea... What if someone had a project to translate the Japanese Saturn version of Lunar: SSS? Then we could finally have the beloved Lunar on our Saturns... Just a thought... I know it would probably be a pain to work all the english text in their with the japanese text, but I have seen it done with psx games.
ph34r.gif

Wow! Brilliant! Someone give him a cookie! Nobody EVER thought about translating LunarSSS! That was all we needed: someone to come up with the unique and inedit idea of translating that awesome game! If someone had this amazing idea before, everyone could have been playing Lunar SS in english! W00t

*AHEM*

You make it sound so easy it hurts. Yeah. There are loads of poeple who would love a translated Lunar SSS, but can't hack games nor read Japanese (if they could read Japanese, they woudln't need a translation, right?).

Willpower alone isn't enough for geting a game translated.

Also, if I'm not wrong, there is a PSX version of Lunar SSS that was fully translated to english and relesed in USA by Working Designs. That's a turn off for most of the very very few people that are half-capable and have a bit of interest in translating Saturn games.

Umm yes I own SSSC for psx... It isn't the same as having the saturn version... And yes I do know that it takes forever and it is a hard task to translate... But guess what??? People DO do it.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Mar 3, 2003 @ 03:26 PM

And yes I do know that it takes forever and it is a hard task to translate... But guess what??? People DO do it.

In that case, let us know when you get somewhere with it.

wtf why is it that im the center for attacks every time. It's like no one can ever joke with me or just be nice to me... A million others say things and im the one who gets the singled out stuff. All i did was post about translating Lunar SSS on saturn.. It wasn't that stupid.. I can link you to some psx japanese translation projects who have 100 percent completed translating games if you think im ridiculous.

I don't think you are ridiculous at all.

It's just that only talking about a translation will never achieve anything.

Someone actually has to get in there and do something about it.

If wasn't going to be you, then who did you have in mind?

The problem with SS translations is largely interest. PSX translations are fine due to the large fan base, but the skills required to be able to translate a game are not trivial.

The technical difficulties of extracting what are usually embedded, in-house text formats from any game are often insurmountable. A technically competent programmer with fluent Japanese/English skills are rare - rarer when you consider the size of the fan base.

Eh...besides you can get TSS for Sega CD and PSX - the demand for a translation is hardly there...

(Nice enough for you?
smile.gif
)

Yes, I fully understand both of your points mal and curtis. I just thought it would be cool, I didn't expect anyone to go "I will do that now." Heh, I just thought some of you programmers or Hex Editors may find this interesting. I know it has been thought of... Anyways yea, that is all I am asking just to joke around with me and be nice
blush.gif
I just want to be treated like everyone else. Because I like this forum and it is sad when it feels like everyone is being a certain way to me.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Mar 3, 2003 @ 12:43 PM

I just thought it would be cool, I didn't expect anyone to go "I will do that now." Heh, I just thought some of you programmers or Hex Editors may find this interesting. I know it has been thought of...

The thought of having a translated version of a popular Japanese game in your hands seems tempting to a lot of people. However, it involves the hard work of many volunteers (unless you got money) and a heap of resources. I'm sure D-BOY or others in here can explain in sufficient detail what kind of a pain in the a** it can become to mess around in such a game. And it's the hard work and all the problems you might face that scares people off. So if you think this project would be "hella cool", you can go on writing messages on here, or maybe you can just take some time and learn the tools of the trade. This is not meant to be a flame or anything, but if you want to see it happen on Saturn, you need to get the ball rolling somehow.

Don't expect too much from other translators or programmers on here, most of them got their own projects. They are open for discussion and able to help, as long as the question is a more specific one. Now, I don't know what your background with Saturn is, but if you find this project appealing enough, why not go into programming yourself? Learn the basics, take your time, read the documentation in the developer section, get your TAKtools out
wink.gif
and start searching for things you'd like to change. With dedication you can make your dream come true... try it yourself. Just don't expect to find people willing to do it on their own, there are simply too many games for too few translators/programmers. I know I'd like to see more newbie translators/programmers simply for sake of expanding the home dev world.

Geez, sorry on there, dude. I didn't even knew that the rest of the forum was picking on you already.

Absolutely nothing personal, but the way you posted sounded really n00bish and retarded, like if you were saying:

Have any of the Saturn coding GODs ever thinked aboot translating LunarSSS? I guess nobody had such idea, since it's NOT translated yet, or they think it's IMPOSSIBLE. Pussies...

But hey! People translated PSX games! So it's possible to translate Saturn as well!

EUREKA!

I KNOW there are TWO versions of the game in English already, and people could better spend the unholy amount of energy and work demanded in translating other Saturn games, like Langrisser or Policenauts, but I love Lunar SO much I'd love to have ALL versions in English!!!

Sorry, bu I had to smack some reality upon you... do not take it personal. This is an internet forum after all.

Also, if you look at the DEV forums from time to time, you'll see ongoing translation projects, and the trouble they are having to go on. You can't then ask people to shift from games that never had a US release, to games that were translated in other systems, making it 100% possible for you to understand the story.

Thanks m3d for caring.... And thanks for aswering I fully understand. More people should take your advice and realize this is only an internet forum
sad.gif

Originally posted by Jaded God@Mar 7, 2003 @ 07:06 AM

More people should take your advice and realize this is only an internet forum
sad.gif

How about you take it as well?
smile.gif

hehe ya, I think Jaded was talkin about talkin shit on ppl....but Jaded, u need to be able to take it too....if ppl are pricks and talk shit...let them, they dont know u personally. remember....if sumone smudges your puma....let it sliiiide......

yea but every single time I post? I am sorry when looking at the back of DBOY's head I thought he was a girl I mean honest mistake... I didnt see his face... So how would i have known? This is also completley off topic.

Back