Mac vs. PC thread

it290

Established Member
Okay here's the thread to duke it out in. I just wanted to post this because I had to disagree with racketboy's last post in the other thread stating that PC's are on top for power. Dude.. the G5 is more powerful than anything on the market right now.

Other than that statement, I don't really have a preference. I'm a PC (mainly linux) user myself, but OSX is a sweet OS and if I had the beans for a Mac I'd probably get one. I do hate pre-OSX Macs however. IMHO Mac OS classic is a piece of crap- not the interface (although there are some things that bug me about it), but the underlying technology. Of course I feel the same way about any non-NT Windows, and I dislike Windows quite a bit to this day (I'm an old school Amiga user), even though I have it installed on one of my PC's (since I need to run apps like Lightwave and Photoshop).

Anyway, feel free to weigh in...

Ok if the G5 is so technologically advanced than what does it have?

And don't look it up if you really think it's that much better you should just know.

I've already summarized my opinions on the HL2 thread, but the G5 is 64bit. Mut PCs will be there shortly too.

Like I said though, performance isn't everything.

It's all in your priorities.

I own a PC because for a workstation I value speed, customizing, and price.

But I would like a Mac for a future laptop possibly because my priorities would be different.

Dude pc's are alraedy at 64 bit just not widespread. If you want to build a 64 bit capable pc it isn't really difficult.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Oct 4, 2003 @ 07:14 PM

What about newegg?

oh I forgot -- time flies

crap what month is this now?

anyway -- like I said, PC performance is still tops -- but my original arguement still stands

on a side note, what's everybody think about the 64-bit rumor with the Prescott?

Id say : Use Amiga! OS4 is soon released. It runs on the PPC Gx type processors (like Mac), but modiefied for Amiga hardware. (Amiga Either use the Pegasos systems, which are 100% amiga compatible. (Morph OS Loads of great freeware software is avaiable and there are commercial ones to. (not anyway near the broad library of the pc, but then again, who needs 100 different text editors anyway. I make it with two).

Here is a screen of OS3.9 (released 99)

which is the one I use.

aos39_screen_1.jpg

Oh, I have to mention that it almost never crashes. The opposit to windows :)

Dude pc's are alraedy at 64 bit just not widespread. If you want to build a 64 bit capable pc it isn't really difficult.
Yeah, but there are no pc programs supporting it.

I dont think what kind of processor you have will effect the programs that can run on your os dude...

Speaking of Amiga. I've been dying to use Amiga DE 4.0 for a long time. You think I can partition my Mac to run both OS X AND Amiga DE 4.0? Hm...

Gentlemen.....damn! I haven't posted here in a long time!

I currently have, on my desktop, a G3 that handles all my telephony needs, a souped up G4 that is my gamer and multimedia workhorse, an older but still usable power book 1400c and a pc that I use daily for a variety of functions.

In the long run, it's a matter of taste. There are many in the pc world of users who hate, loathe and detest Macs. I don't know why. They do pretty much the same job a pc would do and price is no longer a separating distinction, as Macs used to be known as a hell of a lot more expensive as pc's. Not so anymore. I will say that Macs have this too cool design aura about them. But then more pc's are going that way too. (love the micro pc's coming out!)

The Mac os is very easy to learn and use. It flows very logically and has a short learning curve. File are labeled in a way that you know what they do just by looking at them. I have OS X on my G4 and it is a thing of beauty to look at and work in. And as it is Unix, it's very stable!

I think it's good we have a choice. So many seem to hate bill gates these days and the Mac gives them an alternative system. No it is not supported by every software vendor, but then I can usually find what I need. By the way, there is a strong emulation world out there for the Mac user.

But like I said, it's a matter of taste and you should use what works for you. But don't hate the Mac (or the pc) if you have never really given them a chance. They have a very long user life. I have an SE30 from 1989 w/9 gig hdd and 128 mb of ram that I use as a file server. How many pc's from 1989 are still usable for anything? :cool:

Hey falstaff - long time no post. :)

I'm sitting here at Uni on a Sunday (bloody sunday) using this damned horrible G4 "classic" keyboard but not hating Macs. :)

I don't agree that OSX is any easier to use or learn than XP is on PC - I find lots of things on Macs counter-intuitive, like file navigation for example. You either get hundereds of open windows on your screen, or a messy horizontally scrolling glue of all your files. You must be right - it is just a matter of taste.

Hi Curtis.

Actually, I was referrring to pre OS X versions of the Mac OS being easier to learn. OS X can be more difficult especially at the command line level. But if you never have need to go there, it is a stunningly beautiful OS, especially on one of those 21" studio displays.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Oct 5, 2003 @ 02:30 AM

I agree that osx is pimped out. I wish I could skin 2K to look like that some how.

with the right software you can

but when you go to use it -- it won't run as slick

looks good in screenshots but that's about it

OSX is mighty sweet-looking -- especially on the big LCDs like mentioned before.

The iApps are excellent for people getting into computers for the first time.

I did some work for a family that had a PC and a Mac. The PC was newer and faster, but they all liked using the Mac better because it was easier to use and never gave them problems. (It was a classic G3 BTW)

however, I got to play with a display G5 model in CompUSA. I wasn't blown away at all by the speed from the demo stuff. Launching apps and doing some simple stuff didn't seem much better than the G4 demos. My P4 loads stuff way faster. Of course I didn't get to do any hardcore stuff like encoding stuff or anything. however any PC you're paying over $1000 for should load basic apps in no time.

Where Mac wins is not in hardware, but in software. In the end, megahertzl, megabytes, and megabuzzwords don't really matter, as long as it's enough to run the software you want to run, and Apple realized this. Mac had the first productivity software that a non-geek could go out and buy and expect it to "just work", partially because the average non-geek was Apple's target user, but mostly because it was done right. A program is nothing without its users, and too many developers see it as a purely mechanical thing when it really isn't.

Yeah, what he said!

I've stated this before. Having the fastest if it doesn't work, does no one any good. I don't need the fastest. But I need it to work right when I need it too. There are a lot a PC progs that do this well now. But this was Apples bread and butter in the day. Thats why, although not so much anymore, it was the computer of choice in schools for so long. I will say that the PC world has really closed the gap that used to exist in this respect, whils Apple has closed the price gap from it's side. And like I said, they do look cool too.

Originally posted by racketboy+Oct 4, 2003 @ 09:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Oct 4, 2003 @ 09:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gallstaff@Oct 5, 2003 @ 02:30 AM

I agree that osx is pimped out. I wish I could skin 2K to look like that some how.

with the right software you can

but when you go to use it -- it won't run as slick

looks good in screenshots but that's about it

OSX is mighty sweet-looking -- especially on the big LCDs like mentioned before.

The iApps are excellent for people getting into computers for the first time.

I did some work for a family that had a PC and a Mac. The PC was newer and faster, but they all liked using the Mac better because it was easier to use and never gave them problems. (It was a classic G3 BTW)

however, I got to play with a display G5 model in CompUSA. I wasn't blown away at all by the speed from the demo stuff. Launching apps and doing some simple stuff didn't seem much better than the G4 demos. My P4 loads stuff way faster. Of course I didn't get to do any hardcore stuff like encoding stuff or anything. however any PC you're paying over $1000 for should load basic apps in no time. [/b][/quote]

OOO Well I do have a gig of ram. How do I skin it up?

In all seriousness (as in, this isn't a fanboy post ;)), one reason as to why I prefer Macs so much to Windows machines, is that Apple designs both the hardware and the software. That helps limit incompatibility problems. This also benefits software. A piece of software can be specifically designed for a G4 or G5, for maximum effiency. As much as I love Macs, the one problem is that you can't upgrade them like with a Windows machine (Video Card, Sound Card, etc.) unless you got a G4 or G5 Tower.

Time for a fanboy remark:

But, at least Mac Users got a REAL operating system that actually works ;) :cool: :p :devil :hehehe: :thumbs-up: :eek:wned

Back