Making a Game

If anyone is going to make a game, then wouldn't it be better to do it as a group?

First, what type of game do you wan't to play?

Action/Adventure

RPG

Driving

Shoot-Em-Up

And should it be in 3D or 2D?

just add at the end of this, what type of game you think it should be. It may help people who are trying to make games.

If it is the first time the group makes such a big effort, I think an RPG is the best... enough to learn the tricks necessary... BUT you need to be GOOD at story telling and character development above all =)

Quote: from MasterAkumaMatata on 2:33 am on Aug. 28, 2001

What about a text-based RPG? No fancy GUI or anything, just plain old text. That should be simple and doable.

i'd hope it'd wouldn't be like an infocom text adventure, or else inputting the commands would take forever on a controller (is there a saturn keyboard? i've never seen/heard of one.)

A Pong-style game done as a coding tutorial might be neat... as for a text adventure, one using menus might not be too bad, and for something more in the infocom style, a mechanism could be devised that allows choosing words from a list to construct an action sentence. I think a reasonabe mechanism could be designed by taking advantage of the Saturn controller design. For example, words/phrases could be grouped by type into lists activated by the different buttons (such as X for actions, Y for inventory items, Z for objects or exits in the current room), and L/R would allow fast scrolling. Just an idea... :)

Nethack rules... but would you make graphics for a Saturn version, or just be cheap and make a DOS-like font? The DC would be a good platform for Nethack. Hmm.

I have now spent a good (time interval unknown) playing Nethack, and it does indeed kick much ass.

(Edited by ExCyber at 10:51 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

Well, see were getting somewhere.

Group voices are allways the best at decisions.

Okay, now for something else.

Wouldn't making a game be easier if you make tools?

Like, something to convert Windows low quality sound files to Saturn and so forth (nobody has actually tried to do sound for Saturn, midi or wav, you may make a game, a 3D rpg, but there is no REAL info on sound)

Well, there's no info on sound, unless you count the SCSP Manual :). of course, doing effects (by which I mean things like reverb and pitch changes) and synthesis would probably require programming the DSP; AFAIK that kind of stuff is not built in. Of course, there's probably a Sega-made library floating around out there...

Well, nethack has pre-designed graphics for the X11 and a couple of other platforms. I was thinking in using them. The _big_ program is all the actions you can perform :p I can think of using the L R switches for extra options (ie, L = Actions, R = Magic) and menus to select stuff :p.

And also, a (DJGPP) executable of Nethack I have is 1,617,778 bytes*. On a Saturn, adding in the graphics and any RAM used by the program (which would probably be quite a lot, there are a lot of stats and variable conditions and stuff) you would either have none left over or a very tight fit. You could always hack the code into an "overlay" scheme though...

* this is assuming that the Saturn would need all of the standard lib calls... it probably would considering that Nethack is a PC program

Edit: Corrected dumb mistake

(Edited by RadSil at 5:33 pm on Aug. 30, 2001)

Why not port Rogue instead? Might be a bit less time consuming graphics wise.. and I like it more than Nethack.. even though I still haven't gotten that blasted.. thingamabobber that you're supposed to find way down in the 20's :p Oi. Just an idea. Good luck =)

Back