Marvel Super Heros

lethal_illuminati

Ban Hammered
I dont know if i have the PAL or US and the game runs slow..is this normal or is it just that i have a pal version of the game and it doesn't run nicely on ntsc us saturns.

well, you're fortunate enough to live in NTSC land so you'll never be plagued by the scourge of PAL games (unless you move to Holland for our quality herbal remedies ;) ) which arent PAL-optimized. Most PAL releases are not reprogrammed for PAL so they run in fact slower (at 50hz while they were designed for 60hz). So, the chance of MSH being PAL optimized is rather slim and even then I'm not really sure if it would run noticeably slower... maybe it's just slowdown because the machine can't maintain a steady framerate when drawing gets too intense..

It is slow if you're used to super street fighter II turbo, marvel vs. capcom, and the like. It's not meant to be a 'turbo' game- it's more along the lines of x-men:cota.

It was not converted well from arcade to saturn. It tends to be very slow at times, and it is worse(yes worse!) with the 4meg cart(more frames though). I bought MSH after owning MSHvsSF for years, and it really doesn't compare. I suppose it came before Capcom had figured out the best way to harness the saturn's power. The only place to play MSH is the arcade, where it is really and excellent game. I think it is a little misleading when you read reviews that talk about how wonderful saturn ports are; the fact is, some are, and some aren't.

MSH was a bit too much for the Saturn's RAM (and the PSX version has even MORE slowdowns), so even with the butchered animations, there are lotsa slowdowns.

Using the 1MB RAM cart (no, it does not make full use of the 4MB cart because it didn't exist when the game was made - only the SNK 1MB cart was avaliable) the option "3MB MODE" will become avaliable.

If you turn it on, you'll get extra animations. It isn't the full arcade, but things looks nicer. As example, most characters will have an actual "walking backwards" animation, instead of merely re-using frames from the "walk foward" animation in reversed order. The gems special effects also become more fluid. But the framerate doesn't change much (it becomes a LITTLE faster, but slowdowns still occurs with big characters os moves).

But, I noticed that using a RAM card with the 3MB mode OFF actually eliminates most of the slowdowns, but won't improve the animations. The game become much more enjoyable that way.

Back