Matrix Revolutions

I thought Revolutions was excellent. It's not often I wish I could see the movie again this soon after seeing it just so I can catch some of the subtle nuances that I missed the first time around. The fact that they didn't explain the technology that made some of the stuff possible was a plus. Too many sci-fi movies get too caught up in the technology and the storytelling suffers as a result.

Personally, I really enjoyed the first one. The second one was great, but it annoyed the hell out of me, because it was to be continue.... .. So I am not that into it cuz of that crap they did...

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Nov 9, 2003 @ 11:50 AM

They didn't need to re-do the "lobby scene". I got bored - you knew what the outcome was going to be, and what it would look like.

They didn't quite redo it - Seraph was there, they had to show him fight at least once, and the villains were AI's. The lobby shootout villains were normal humans.

Too many new questions raised. The Smiths, Neo's hand waving thing, the Station, The French Man, etc, etc.

The Smiths was raised in the previous movie. Basically after Neo fudged his code at the end of the first movie, Smith became a virus and gained the ability to 'take over' other programmes (human minds included). Neo's hand waving thing was a direct result of his 'One' powers - he has an intrinsic link to the Machine AI, and has some control over ANYTHING involving it, even in the real world. The Station was explained well enough, it's a "link" between the Matrix and the Real World... the two 'parent' AI's were real machines from outside the Matrix (and had machine bodies, I would assume) and the Train Station was the means by which they put their "daughter"'s code into the Matrix. The story behind the Frenchman? Good lord, man, did you pay any attention to one of Reloaded's longest scenes?

Factual (or seemingly so) errors - like the hovership. How did that get above the clouds?

They pulled up at full velocity, and I assume by the time the engines cut out, they had enough inertia to bring them just over the cloud layer. Simple physics. The engines don't have to be on the whole time.

Action too intense at times - Strobe lights are fine in moderation, but can ruin the experience and give headaches if used too much.

Strobe lights?

Lobby scene: Talk about splitting hairs. Different fighters, different targets. Either way, it's the same scene. FYI, in the commentary on the first DVD (original release), they refer to the military shooters in the lobby as programs and clones. Not that it matters.

Did I pay attention to Reloaded? Nope. Nice highway chase, though. :)

Simple physics? There is no way a tank like that would have enough inertia to get above the cloud layer. I'd always assumed that those things worked by generating a field that repulses against metal surfaces - at least that's what they look like they were designed for. Not much metal in the atmosphere to get any lift. Anyway, a minor point.

Strobe lights: The Neo/Smith impersonator fight on the ship on the way to the Machine City. Way too intense, I couldn't watch it. Likewise with the Neo/Smith fight at the end. Not as bad, but still difficult to watch at times.

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Nov 9, 2003 @ 08:25 PM

That won't work...and why was a New Matrix created again.. if the war is over why is there a need to have another matrix just so the cycle can repeat...

Easy - how else are the machines going to get the power they need to survive? And remember, the Architect said at the end of Revolutions that any humans that wished to leave, were free to go, they wouldn't try to stop it anymore.

Lobby scene: Talk about splitting hairs. Different fighters, different targets. Either way, it's the same scene. FYI, in the commentary on the first DVD (original release), they refer to the military shooters in the lobby as programs and clones. Not that it matters.

Ah, I dunno. The opponents in The Matrix's lobby shootout acted human, they didn't pull any odd stunts.

We're both splitting hairs, really.

Did I pay attention to Reloaded? Nope. Nice highway chase, though.

Precisely. There was a decent amount in Reloaded that, if you didn't pay attention, could trip you up watching Revolutions.

Simple physics? There is no way a tank like that would have enough inertia to get above the cloud layer. I'd always assumed that those things worked by generating a field that repulses against metal surfaces - at least that's what they look like they were designed for. Not much metal in the atmosphere to get any lift. Anyway, a minor point.

Heavier mass = more inertia, thus the equation balances out if the ship can accelerate to a high enough velocity.

The thing was moving damned fast, remember?

Strobe lights: The Neo/Smith impersonator fight on the ship on the way to the Machine City. Way too intense, I couldn't watch it. Likewise with the Neo/Smith fight at the end. Not as bad, but still difficult to watch at times.

True about the real world fight, but the final battle used few to no strobes. It was in the rain, though - there were a few flashes of lightning but nothing remotely regular.

Seems to me that this whole Matrix series(which I absolutely loved) is based on gnostic Christianity, obviousy there are other elements but gnosticism seems to be the main thing it draws from, any you guys know anything about gnosticism?

Originally posted by Lyzel@Nov 10, 2003 @ 02:19 AM

Personally, I really enjoyed the first one. The second one was great, but it annoyed the hell out of me, because it was to be continue.... .. So I am not that into it cuz of that crap they did...

By the way, THEY SAID IT WOULD BE TBC WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED THEY'D CONTINUE THE SERIES. ohhhh dear how awful

You tell us to pay attention to the movie. Like we didn't actually watch it or something. I did pay attention, doesn't change the fact that I think the second movie sucked the fattest horse cock in the entire world. I do wish I had my time and money back, and I'm glad I wasn't duped into seeing the third one too. If I want to listen to a bunch of philosphy or something I'll take a class on it.

The ship ISN'T really a true hovercraft. They just call it that because that's all it can do in the tunnels. Think of it more like a chopper on roids. It can basically do impressive manouvers close to the ground (like a chopper) but can also use bursts of speed to exceed it's normal operation ranges (again like choppers). Remeber the technology that the ships use to fly is the same one that all the sentinels and other machines use to fly. The whole electricity arching thing is either because they generate some sort of magnetic field using electric gyros or simply because it looks cool. Also from the looks of things the dark clouds looked like they were only 1 or 2 km from groundlevel. So getting above them wouldn't be that hard.

As for why all the clone smiths just stand around at the end. It could be possible that they were simply not capable of putting up a fight. Remember in the reloaded how easily neo kicked all of their asses? Well in revolutions what I think happened was that the standing ones "sent" their power to that one smith copy (original?) to use in the fight. Hence why he was so much more powerful and harder for neo to fight.

At the end the matrix didn't reload (that would have cause all the humans hooked up to it to die). It simply got uncorrupted. Kinda like how a virus scanner removes the bad bits to restore a file.

Also remember that the machines think of themselves as better than humans (the architects last line is a perfect example). So the idea of going back on their word would seem too dirty and human like. And they're not gonna just unplug all the humans at once, there would be no way to feed and shelter that many people. Not to mention the shock it would cause to them all (remember neos reaction in the first movie?).

And am I the only one who felt the ending was really depressing?

Agreed on all points, EXCEPT:

At the end the matrix didn't reload (that would have cause all the humans hooked up to it to die). It simply got uncorrupted. Kinda like how a virus scanner removes the bad bits to restore a file.

No, all the humans would NOT die. the Architect said nothing of the sort in his speech in Reloaded. The only humans that would be killed off would be the previous inhabitants of Zion.

You tell us to pay attention to the movie. Like we didn't actually watch it or something. I did pay attention, doesn't change the fact that I think the second movie sucked the fattest horse cock in the entire world. I do wish I had my time and money back, and I'm glad I wasn't duped into seeing the third one too. If I want to listen to a bunch of philosphy or something I'll take a class on it.

Reloaded would have def been worse with no plot, just action.

tho ive not seen revolutions, id say all these nay sayers actually expected the movie to kick @$$. if you go into a movie with expectations your gonna be disappointed, end of story.

I went into reloaded expecting it would be arlight, but not wonderful, I agree that reloaded would have been bad with no story just action, cause even the action in that movie was bad lol. In any case, the movie wasn't good even with the story so I think that says something.

You know what else I just noticed?

There wasn't really any attractive female lead in any of the movies IMO. I mean... dont you think if they're gonna make a shitty movie they should give us a pair of titties to look at for two hours?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Nov 22, 2003 @ 03:27 AM

I went into reloaded expecting it would be arlight, but not wonderful, I agree that reloaded would have been bad with no story just action, cause even the action in that movie was bad lol. In any case, the movie wasn't good even with the story so I think that says something.

A heavily-Xiaoxiao influenced battle didn't faze you? Wow.

And next time you think about that highway chase, I'd like you to think about how hard it would be to choreograph that.

Fuckin who cares how well it's choreographed?

I'd take bill and ted and it's budget of a few thousand dollars over the matrix any day of the week. Did you see any fancy coreophrahing in that? Well... other than the bar fight.

But still, putting work into something doesnt mean shit if the product isn't entertaining.

Gotta say one thing. Watching this movie on an iMax screen is something else. It's SOO much better than a regular movie screen. Where I sat the whole image filled my field of vision without making my neck hurt or having to squint to focus on it. Really immersive that way.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Nov 22, 2003 @ 10:38 PM

I'd take bill and ted and it's budget of a few thousand dollars over the matrix any day of the week.

im strangely reminded of clerks, with looked like about 1 grand

Back