Mega Drive I/II FM chip differences?

Are there any differences in sound between the MD1 and MD2? I just recently bought a MD2 and most, if not all, games sound very different from MD1. More treble. Distorted. Crunching sounds in basses. Just some of the instruments are like this.

Is this normal? :huh

Fried FM chip?

Edit:

I scoured the entire genesis archive but didn't get that many answers.

I wouldn't want this md2 to be "normal sounding", because it sounds real crappy :( I actually bought this thing only because my one channel just died on my old md1.

I can make some sound samples if someone wants to hear the diff..

The md2 is a model MK-1631-50

/Jens

I've heard that the MD II has a weaker power supply which causes a bit of distortion in the audio amplifier. The only difference in the chip itself is that it's integrated into the VDP in the Model IIs and it's a standalone chip in the Model I.

I have both models and I use them both on a fairly regular basis, and I would have to say the difference is subtle. I actually notice the difference in video quality a lot more than anything else. So I'd conclude that something is afoot with your MkII.

I will be going "home" for christmas today, but I will make some recordings when I come home around the 27th.

Any games in particular you want me to sample off?

I will perhaps make a "before and after" so you can hear difference. Even my neighbour thought it sounded bad.

Anyway, merry christmas!

/Jens

Yeah the MD2 does sound like shiite, exactly like you describe. According to Steve Snake the weaker power supply is the likely culprit (as already mentioned). Do yourself a favor- dump it and buy another MD1. Shouldn't cost ya more than 10-15 dollars, and you might even get a couple games with it at that price.

Actually I've heard it varies amongst MD2 units, as some of them did have different chip revisions. I'm sure there's someone who knows more about them, because as it290 says most of what I notice is that my MD2 looks a bit sharper, though what the cause of that is, I couldn't say. I DO like not having to use the headphone jack to get stereo sound out of my Genesis 2/SCD 2/32X unit.

I can notice some diff between MD1 & MD2. I find the video on MD2 to be nicer, but the MD1 sound is better.

Although I use the MD1 more, plus its a lot nicer looking.

Back