Metal Gear Solid on Saturn

Could MGS, one of PlayStation's finest exclusives, have run on the Sega Saturn? :borg:

To this question, some would argue that the Saturn was outdated in terms of 3D capabilities, and only Sony's 32-bit console could handle the psychic powers of Psycho Mantis (indeed, no way to make a Saturn controller vibrate! :biglaugh:)

To restore Sega's honor, I created this prototype. There are some bugs, but I believe the demonstration is made: yes, we could have hidden in cardboard boxes in a tight-fitting suit and crawled on the ground if Sega had managed things better in the mid-'90s :dead:

At first my Protoype was based on the Jo Engine (made by Johannes Fetz) and I moved after on the Z-Treme Engine (made by @XL2 ). Big respect for you guys! You are Saturn experts and crazy geniuses!

Do you plan on providing playable files to the public so everyone can try this for themselves?

Also, how long did it take you to do this?

Sadly for the moment I won't share the iso to the public, I don't want to see scammers selling it on ebay in a fake Saturn blister pack :cwm23:

For the time of dev, hard to tell, I work on it since severals months on my spare time.
I can understand that regarding eBay sellers.

I hope you'll forgive some skepticism in the community about whether this is genuinely running on a Saturn. Do you think you could record an off-screen video of a real Saturn booting up and running your Metal Gear Solid prototype?

Is there a chance you could send an ISO to a private tester with a Fenrir or other ODE to test on actual hardware? Definitely understand the concern of posting an ISO for the public, but would love to see this running on actual hardware.

I hope you'll forgive some skepticism in the community about whether this is genuinely running on a Saturn. Do you think you could record an off-screen video of a real Saturn booting up and running your Metal Gear Solid prototype?
It's not running on real hardware, it's Saturn Emulation (Retroarch with a Shader for the CRT filter :grin:)

Ofc I can make a record on Retroarch, open the Shaders, change them in live but even with that with so many people convinced that the Saturn sucks in 3D I'm sure there would still be skeptics :bandit:

It's not running on real hardware, it's Saturn Emulation (Retroarch with a Shader for the CRT filter :grin:)

Ofc I can make a record on Retroarch, open the Shaders, change them in live but even with that with so many people convinced that the Saturn sucks in 3D I'm sure there would still be skeptics :bandit:
Well, I think anything like that would help silence skeptics. So you haven't tried to run this prototype on a real Saturn yet?

I'm really sorry to say this but if you never ever tested in real hardware, you can't say it's a Saturn game simply because you don't know if the console can run it. It's sure a software that runs on emulators.

I'm really sorry to say this but if you never ever tested in real hardware, you can't say it's a Saturn game simply because you don't know if the console can run it. It's sure a software that runs on emulators.
You make a valid point, it's time to test it on a real Saturn :banana:

My Saturn is a PAL V2, can I play NTSC game directly on it with a Pseudo Saturn Kai?

For the sceptics : I tried the demo in Mednafen and it's all legit, from the intro screen to the Easter eggs.
I haven't tried it on real hardware, but other than potential extra slowdowns I see no issues here.
Even if it didn't work on real hardware (like issues with bytes alignment while loading stuff from the cd), it's nothing that can't be fixed.
I did consider myself doing a MGS tech demo, but I went with Unreal instead as I already had almost everything I needed with Hellslave.
I shared with Frogbull some extra source code (ZTP's newer versions) and a few suggestions, so hopefully he will manage to have a demo similar to the PS1 demo (which ended in the tank hangar I think).
Good work overall Frogbull and hopefully you will have a polished demo ready in time for the competition!

Last edited:
This is a really cool demo, and basically if XL2 says it's legit - well, we've got nothing else to say.

I guess the question is - as a community - how can we help you release this to the public without putting yourself in jeopardy? Or is there a different obstacle in your way? How can we help?

Even if you're not willing (or able) to make the demo public, if you'd be willing to share how you made it and your thought process behind it, we'd all love to hear it!

For context, personally, I always thought the Twisted Metal games (all of them) ran and looked like shit on the PS1, and could have been better on the Saturn.. but making that kind of conversion isn't easy. I have worked on it a little bit, but even though I know what needs to be done, actually doing it is extremely difficult.

MGS on the Saturn is probably even harder, so basically the Saturn community is so interested because your demo looks really good!

Back