Microsoft considering halting Xbox sales in Oz?

Ugh...that'd be right.
sarcasm.gif

Fortunately, I am yet to choose which "next gen" console I'll be buying...looks like it may be narrowed down to just the PS2

Of course it is just hearsay. I find it hard to believe that MS would completely exclude the XBox from their business model in Australia especially when the system is improving sales. Anybody really interested could easily import from the UK anyway...

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 20 2002, 12:12 pm

Fortunately, I am yet to choose which "next gen" console I'll be buying...looks like it may be narrowed down to just the PS2

GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE! Why isn't that in the equation for you anymore?

Who knows just what they'll do?

Probably lobby for legislation change or maybe team up with Sony and appeal the court's decision. Didn't the ACCC support the legality of mods a while back? That should make things interesting.
biggrin.gif

Changing the price structure would just screw things up further. The console is meant to continue to get cheaper after release. Any sort of price rise (hardware or software) would be damaging.

Who knows... ???

Originally posted by Myname+Oct. 21 2002, 1:18 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ Oct. 21 2002, 1:18 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Curtis@Oct. 20 2002, 12:12 pm

GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE! Why isn't that in the equation for you anymore?[/b][/quote]

Eh, I dunno...the 'Cube just never grabbed me. Plus I've been a total die hard Sega fan from way back - I was always strongly "anti-Nintendo". As unreasonable as it sounds, there is probably still an element of that in my decision.
smile.gif

Plus GT3 rules
smile.gif

I think the ACCC did rule that it was perfectly legal to own and install mod chips in Australia. In their view it is the consumers right to be able to copy thier own games and play the copies. If you need a mod chip to do that, then so be it. Also, if you'll remember the PS2 had a drop and then a rise in price a while back and that didn't kill it...business economics confuses me ???

i just read a post on xbox live forum about modchips being legal in europe -- and xbox is sold there -- whats the deal ? mabey largest mod sales are in Oz

Don't believe everything you read about mod legality, or law in general for that matter; there is a lot of misinformation out there. I'd particularly doubt anything about them being "legal in Europe", as Europe is not a country, and the European Union is far from having universally accepted and well-defined legal authority.

Originally posted by Curtis+Oct. 20 2002, 5:12 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis @ Oct. 20 2002, 5:12 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Myname@Oct. 21 2002, 1:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Curtis
@Oct. 20 2002, 12:12 pm

GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE! Why isn't that in the equation for you anymore?

Eh, I dunno...the 'Cube just never grabbed me. Plus I've been a total die hard Sega fan from way back - I was always strongly "anti-Nintendo". As unreasonable as it sounds, there is probably still an element of that in my decision.
smile.gif

Plus GT3 rules
smile.gif

I think the ACCC did rule that it was perfectly legal to own and install mod chips in Australia. In their view it is the consumers right to be able to copy thier own games and play the copies. If you need a mod chip to do that, then so be it. Also, if you'll remember the PS2 had a drop and then a rise in price a while back and that didn't kill it...business economics confuses me ???[/b][/quote]

I'm the same way, but I'm actually leaning towards the gamecube because, like Sega, they have some unique games. Plus Monkey Ball is on there
smile.gif

I like the system hardware itself too. Sony's harware seems too cheap and the XBox is too big. Also you get a bit of choice in colors now with the GC.

Oh yeah, and Wavebirds are nice too
smile.gif

damn console developers (aka, nintendo, sega, sony, microsoft, etc.). they think that since they own the patent the own "rights" over every system made from their patents!

the gdrom (sega) is relatively illegal in the commercial market,

xbox "cannot" be altered,

ditto for ps2.

i side with the ussc, if you own a piece of property, real or chattel (personal), you can do what you want with it.

Back