Modding 64-pin Saturns

Hey all,

Well, apparently I have the dubious pleasure of owning a 64-pin (CD board chip) Model 2 Saturn - although I have to check the ribbon cable to ensure that it's not actually just a Model 1 in a newer box. :/

I have had a look at the main modchip threads, before anyone starts raging at me about posting an unnecessary topic; however, I couldn't find exactly what I needed to know on them. :(

Basically, putting a modchip in a 64-pin Saturn is possible, right? But I believe that the chip has to be put in the other way round or something?

I'd appreciate any input here, as I would like to purchase a modchip from Racketboy, but not if I don't have a compatible Saturn at the moment. I'll probably hunt down a 21/32 Saturn, but only if I absolutely have to.

Thanks tons! :)

Here we go again...

I have had a look at the main modchip threads, before anyone starts raging at me about posting an unnecessary topic; however, I couldn't find exactly what I needed to know on them. :(

It is covered in the big thread, but you do have to have a lot of patience.

Basically, putting a modchip in a 64-pin Saturn is possible, right? But I believe that the chip has to be put in the other way round or something?

It is possible.

Yes, the mod does have to face away from the CD board. It should be that simple.

I have succesfully installed a mod in a 64 pin Saturn, but that was a long time ago.

I've tried to do it again more recently but without any luck. I don't know if it's that there's been some change in the programming of newer mod boards, or if it's my installation techniques, but I've never been able to get it to work with any mods that I've bought in the last year or two.

I'd appreciate any input here, as I would like to purchase a modchip from Racketboy, but not if I don't have a compatible Saturn at the moment. I'll probably hunt down a 21/32 Saturn, but only if I absolutely have to.

All I can suggest is to give it a try.

You might get lucky. I just don't know. :sigh

Here we go again...

Yeah, sorry to be annoying..! :)

Thanks very much for your reply! I might purchase one from Racketboy and 'take the plunge'. Although I could buy a Model 2 from someone I know in the hope that it has a 32-pin chip...

Anyway, thanks! If anyone else has any success or failure stories about 64-pin Saturns, I'd appreciate hearing them.

(goes to read the HUGE modchip thread again) ;)

I think i'll add to this thread. I recently bought 2 chips off of Racketboy. the 1st chip i think i've killed through constantly moving it. The second chip however, i installed at it worked perfectly.

I have a 64pin pal Model. I did find with the first chip that you had to push the modchip away from the cd drive towards the edge of the case for it to work. Seems its to do with the connectors.

Sorry to hear the one chip died you, but on the other hand congrats on the 64-pin mod :)

So you didn't have to do anything else special?

The first chip would have worked if i didnt insist on pushing it so much. It would work without the case on top but with the top on it seemed to push something and the dodgy connections happened again.

Before i got it working it was doing exactly the same as everyone else with their cd player only functions. Now all i gotta do is switch it. Thanks racketboy :D

Adrock, could you please explain to me in detail how you fitted it? It's just that I'm confused. Did you use the "without soldering to the CD board" method?

Sorry to be inconvenient; but I'd really appreciate the help. :) Thanks!

I followed the exact same methods as read on this forum.

I had the chip's component side facing out to the casing. The cable still has the twist in it.

I used the A+B method that mal pioneered.

The problems i encountered with the first chip was that it required a slight push towards the casing when using the machine. Whenever i put the top case on though it push the chip towards the cd drive as it pulled on the cd cable from what i could work out. It did boot everything perfectly fine without the top on and me pushing the chip towards the casing.

I thought maybe this was due to the pins on the chip not correctly touching so i decided to solder a small layer onto each pin of the chip. It didnt work though :(

I think everyone who has a 64 pin saturn and a chip try the method i said. I havent tested any other saturns yet but i have had mine working.

I don't understand :( Well, I got a model 3 saturn, and I am having trouble installing it. I got my mod chip from the jandaman site. I kinda see a few picks onto installing it to the third model, but my blue wire can't reach the 8 pin :( I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Please be more clearly onto making the instructions.

Originally posted by kidvid711@Wed, 2005-03-23 @ 11:55 AM

I kinda see a few picks onto installing it to the third model, but my blue wire can't reach the 8 pin :( I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Replace the blue wire with one that's longer.

OK, I got my hands on another Saturn. Its a model two with a daughter board for the controller ports.

daughter.jpg

I personally never came across this board. Its got the 64 pin chip on the CD board. Well I tried to mod it with one of Racketboys chips and it failed in every way i modded it (AB crossover, solder to the 8th pin). So I wanted to try something out. I took a CD board out of a model 2 with the 32 pin chip. I tossed the bugger in there and turned on. The CD_rom works. BUT, the mod still doesn't work. This leads me to believe the chip doesn't work on some 64 pin chip cd board model 2's, not because of the cd board, but because of the main board.

Other problem im coming across is region modding the bitch. (I've never seen this kind of mobo) can anyone help?

I have that same Model 2 with the daughter board, it is a bitch to perform any mod on.

All the common points are differant, or moved around, even the 50/60Hz mod is becoming a pain to install. I do plan on buying a mod board though, if I kill the saturn I'll just buy a new one.

The "A" and "B" method doesn't work for my saturn, I'm going to try the 8th pin method another time..

This is what happened so far, after the "A" and "B" method installation. It can't play the originals nor the back ups. I decide to calm my nurves onto listening to some music. oh well, Going to try the 8th pin method another time.

Meanwhile, 3rd time makes the charm!!!

When I put the orginal game cd in the saturn, and let it do a disc read check. It always works on the third time. So I tryed it on the back ups, AND IT WORKS!!!!!

I comfirm to you guys that jandman mod chip successfully works, But you just have to let it load in the cd player screen.Just keep trying to load it up and it will.Im not sure about the 8th pin method, I'm giong to try to find out if it works better then the "A" and "B" one..

Can someone confirm to me that the 8th pin method works better then the point "A" to point "B" one.

P.S.

I just realized that I had to put the mod backwards, facing the case.

Attachments

• Sonic_running.gif
    Sonic_running.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Sonic_running.gif
    Sonic_running.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 87
I have a 64-Pin chip here and it behaves just like yours.

Every third try it will boot originals and backups, else

it just let's me play the soundtracks.

It's a Xinga chip.

Any solutions for this?

Problem solved ... was a connection problem.

I resoldered every pin on the modboard AND

coated the connector to the mainboard with

a little solder (every golden pin).

Voila, working nicely now.

Bye

Sebastian

Back