Model 1 with no sound. Again.

Cloud121

Established Member
Is there something up with Model 1 MegaDrives/Genesis' that cause them to stop outputting sound?

I've had to repurchase many of my consoles my father bought me, so I could play them at my mother's. I purchased a Model 1 a few years ago, as my original Model 1 (December 1990. my first game console) was at my father's. It sat dormant for awhile (though I tested it shortly after receiving it. It worked perfect), as I stuck with my slick looking Model 2/CD/32X setup. One day I decided to hook up the Model 1, and I got no sound. Puzzled, I tested all the combinations:

Model 1 via RF

Model 1 via A/V

Model 1 with Model 2 CD via RF

Model 1 with Model 2 CD via A/V

Model 1 with 32X via RF

Model 1 with 32X via A/V

Model 1 with Model 2 CD with 32X via RF

Model 1 with Model 2 CD with 32X via A/V

Got nothing. I tried them on two or three other TVs, and still the same result.

I got another Model 1 later on, and it didn't have any sound from the get-go. Again, tried all the possible combinations on multiple TVs.

My response to all this? "Meh, they're used consoles. The previous owners must not have taken good care of them. If only I had my own personal one from Christmas 1990."

So I finally got it back this past Christmas (I promptly asked my dad for all my gaming stuff that was rightfully mine. That's all I wanted.), and tested it out a week or so later...

No sound! I was absolutely dumbfounded! This was my own personal machine, that I had taken the utmost care of. Sure, it just sat away in my dad's closet (Or wherever he stashed it) for the last four years, but it was just the way I had left it. No dust, dirt or anything. Perfect shape.

So, does anyone know what the deal is with these Model 1's? Why does the audio go out? This actually happened to my old Saturn (that I since traded for a working one) a few years back.

Anyone know where I can send it to get repaired if need be? I know of Old School Gamer, but that's it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Back