MP3 vs. OGG

Dud

Established Member
Don't think this has been done before....

I've started ripping my CDs using Quality 6 Ogg Vorbis, and it is a tiny bit better sounding than MP3 so I am going to go with it for now.

i tend to encode everything to OGG these days.

Music quality is great and video quality is excellent too.

Best thing i liked about OGG as a container was that it allowed dual audio and multiple subtitles. Reminded me of why DVD's are so popular

I can't audibly tell the difference between the two. I do know OGG has better file compression, though I've only tested this with medium to low bitrate ogg's against 196kbps MP3's. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason why I would be debating the better file format would be because I want to know which file format is the least "lossiest" at a given bitrate. And since subjective measurements don't convince me, it's a question best left for those who can find the time and resources to do an objective test.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Thu, 2005-06-23 @ 09:11 AM

I can't audibly tell the difference between the two. I do know OGG has better file compression, though I've only tested this with medium to low bitrate ogg's against 196kbps MP3's. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason why I would be debating the better file format would be because I want to know which file format is the least "lossiest" at a given bitrate. And since subjective measurements don't convince me, it's a question best left for those who can find the time and resources to do an objective test.

[post=135630]Quoted post[/post]​

Good point if you can't really tell the difference is that OGG is a completely free codec and MP3 the most popular one is patented which makes life more difficult for all of us.

Are we just voting on quality, or overall? Because MP3 obviously has a big advantage in the portable device area.

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2005-06-23 @ 10:57 AM

Are we just voting on quality, or overall? Because MP3 obviously has a big advantage in the portable device area.

[post=135644]Quoted post[/post]​

Just overall.

I've gotta go with mp3...

First I have been using it for a long time. Everything I have is in mp3 and to rip them again to ogg would be time consuming.

Its so well supported. My car stereo plays it, portable mp3 player, my computer at work which we aren't allowed to DL new codecs too.

All my friends us it. I can easily swap stuff with friends, hand them a disk and say "check this shit out" instead of, "go here DL this then check this shit out". Especially with how comp illiterate a lot of my friends are.

It is mainly for convenience.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-06-23 @ 09:04 PM

I've gotta go with mp3...

First I have been using it for a long time. Everything I have is in mp3 and to rip them again to ogg would be time consuming.

Its so well supported. My car stereo plays it, portable mp3 player, my computer at work which we aren't allowed to DL new codecs too.

All my friends us it. I can easily swap stuff with friends, hand them a disk and say "check this shit out" instead of, "go here DL this then check this shit out". Especially with how comp illiterate a lot of my friends are.

It is mainly for convenience.

[post=135662]Quoted post[/post]​

lucky for me i only know one person out of my friends that actually has a computer and he knows a thing or two :p

I voted MP3 because more stuff plays it.

No OGG on my iPod.

That's the most important thing to me.

I rip all my new stuff to Apple Lossless on iTunes though.

Then iTunes will convert it to lower bitrate on the fly when syncing with my iPod.

lame 3.96 --presets completely trash the "ogg is better and smaller" argument.

otherwise, Musepack plz.

If FLAC is lossless, then how come the file size is relatively small? Shouldn't it be around the size of a wav file?

I see. So it's relatively large. Still, I don't think it's quite as large as a .wav, so there must be some compression. The question is, is that compression a factor when it comes to faithful sound reproduction? If you got the hard drive space, why not stick with .wav? I'm really just skimming the surface with these questions, 'cause I don't know much about pc audio and its formats, but surely someone will have an easy answer for this.

Simple, on a CDR you can burn about 2h30 of music with CD quality (Wav) if you use Flac, and again it is patent free.

Back