• Rise from your gwave!

my DC can't read Shenmue 1 disc 1 !!!!

Discussion in 'Dreamcast' started by ninjakun, Dec 22, 2001.

1. ninjakun

ninjakun New Member

okay. the game is bought used but it's in perfect condition and there are no visible scratches on the shiny side of disc 1. so far, the game has booted exactly TWICE since I got it.

by the sound it makes, the laser simply can't find the tracks to read (TOC ?).

any help ? the DC is made April 2000 and it's US Shenmue.

2. ninjakun

ninjakun New Member

oh, one more thing. disc 2 and 3 boots fine as well as Shenmue Passport (although this one hangs when certain movies/promo videos are played.....)

it affects none of my other games (legit and backups).

could this be the first example of backups damaging your hardware ? arrrrggghh, why me !

3. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

boil the cd and it will work fine, i've experienced similar problems on other people's dc's with PSO, has nothing to do with piracy. just boil it, wipe it off, and play.

4. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

Hehe, just make sure you're very careful and don't put the wrong side in or else you'll totally fuck it up, LOL.

5. ninjakun

ninjakun New Member

do you mean:

1) boil water in pot

2) drop the disc in boiling water ?

MasterAkumaMatata: which is the wrong side to put "in" ?

6. MasterAkumaMatata

I've never done it before though, so I can't confirm if it really works or not. According to SkankinMonkey's suggestion, my guess would be to put it in boiling water with the laser read side facing the water (so as to clear away some layer of film on the read side?).

7. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

yea, you drop it in and when it starts to warp, turn the heat off and let it cool and return to its normal form, it gets all the crap that they put on it off

8. Cynnamin

Cynnamin New Member

I prefer putting them into the microwave, shiny side up, for 3 - 5 seconds. Depends on the power of your microwave. Anywho, the heat from the microwave will totally destroy all the film on the cd's surface. This is better if you are hesitant about putting your cd's into boiling water ;)

9. MasterAkumaMatata

Oh, it will do that and more, [​IMG]

10. Quadriflax

Quadriflax New Member

Kinda reminds me of the time someone in alt.games.redalert2 said they tried to fix a scratch on their CD by putting it to a light bulb. *sigh...*

11. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

what is that broken pic of in your post Akuma? and the microwave doesnt really give off heat, it vibrates the water molecules so they create friction and thus create heat.

12. MasterAkumaMatata

It's an LOL emoticon from another message board. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't; it's weird. If only the Admins added more emoticons, that would be nice, so I wouldn't have to steal them from other boards, LOL! ;)

13. paulpsomiadis

paulpsomiadis New Member

Yup, you're another guy with GD-ROM laser reading problems. I had this with my first DC and some of the games.

But adjusting the GDROM BIAS POT makes even scratched discs easy to read...

Email me at: -

gppsomiadis@yahoo.co.uk [​IMG]

and I'll send you a document on how to do this! [​IMG]

14. SegaSaturnDDR

SegaSaturnDDR New Member

actualy, i did have problems running an original of shenmue on my dreamcast, it just randomly froze at loading screens, the way i fixed it was buy downloading the backup, which had no such issues

15. Funkstar De Luxe

Funkstar De Luxe New Member

Have you tried an Audio CD lense cleaner? The one with the two little brusher that you put cleaning liquid on? Try this first before doing anything drastic, coz it worked for me.