my dev Saturn died again....

RockinB

Established Member
Just some minutes ago, I tried if I can get my CommsLink cart to work again with a DOS boot disk. Now my lovely CD-swap-only CD-RW modded Saturn has died. I bought it in Berlin and it revived my Saturn addiction some years ago.

It's been my only chance to test my Saturn apps, since my old PC is always crashing when running Saturn emus.

Too bad, really. I just came here to start a new batch of Saturn work.... I'm running out of Saturns and out of everything :damn: .

Well, I just could do some testing for VBT before it died. Now I just don't know what to do...

Back in 2003 contest, my Saturn died due to Commslink, too. Years later, I could magically revive that Saturn (though the cartridge slot is a pain in the ass), the involved EMS 4M Plus cart died just some weeks ago and I'm sure the commslink cart is dead, too.

For personal reference: I swear that I'll never ever use a commslink/freewing/whatthefuck again on my Saturn.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 05:05 PM

Too bad, really. I just came here to start a new batch of Saturn work.... I'm running out of Saturns and out of everything :damn: .

Arg really bad news, is it really dead ? what the saturn does when you swicth it on ?

Well, I just could do some testing for VBT before it died.

I'm guilty :(

Now I just don't know what to do...

You still have the Saturn of the contest.

Back in 2003 contest, my Saturn died due to Commslink, too. Years later, I could magically revive that Saturn (though the cartridge slot is a pain in the ass), the involved EMS 4M Plus cart died just some weeks ago and I'm sure the commslink cart is dead, too.

I hope not everything is dead. I guess you can verify the commslink with the dos app.

For personal reference: I swear that I'll never ever use a commslink/freewing/whatthefuck again on my Saturn.

the best solution is a modded saturn with cdrw support except if you have a model 1 like me. I pray to never have the same problem with my commslink.

Originally posted by vbt+Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 07:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vbt @ Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 07:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Arg really bad news, is it really dead ? what the saturn does when you swicth it on ?

[post=140254]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

CD spins, but no security check. Black screen. I guess some importand chips got killed. The power supply, CD drive and case can be used for repairing other Saturns. I got a model 1 Saturn without CD drive, but I guess this is not compatible.

Originally posted by vbt@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 07:21 PM

I'm guilty :(

No, you're not. It's absolutely my fault. I needed to correct the insertion of the GameShark cart, PC and Saturn were off, but somehow there must have been some current on the PC side. I'm so stupid.

You still have the Saturn of the contest.

I won't touch it, it's already packed aside for the winner ;) . Additionally, I got a very expensive japanese Saturn, the broken but magically alive 2003 contest dev Saturn and a Saturn without CD drive. None of them are at my location, currently.

I hope not everything is dead. I guess you can verify the commslink with the dos app.

Damn commslink, I need a more reliable connection method via serial or pad port. Like is used on Dreamcast with the serial upload slave. Anyone?

I had a nice idea for the commslink: a Kaillera client for PC which is controled by the Saturn over commslink for online gaming of new homebrew games. Online gaming without NetLink modem. A nice idea, but commslink is no good choice...

<!--QuoteBegin-vbt
@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 07:21 PM

the best solution is a modded saturn with cdrw support except if you have a model 1 like me.

[/quote]

Definitely the best solution.

This is a desaster to me, I love my Saturn so much :blush:

Originally posted by slinga@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 09:29 PM

In the mean time code on emulators.

[post=140260]Quoted post[/post]​

If it would be that easy on my old computer...

not working: yabause 0.5.0, any of the hacked GiriGiri

too slow: Saturnin

too incomplete: GiriGiri debugger 6a

fast but crashing: Satourne 1.1p

So my only option is SSF and that one requires SSE (+ other stuff), so I need to take the old SSF 0.06 alpha 4. But the speed is far behind Satourne.

So now I need to search for new PC components and a new Saturn.

Hey Rockin'-B, PM me your address, I'll send you a free (but you pay the shipping) model 2 Saturn chipped and working great, but with some crazy ugly blue paint job (I didn't do it!). Hopefully you can move the guts to your dead Saturn shell. I can also add a Gameshark for a moderate amount.

Let me know if you're interested.

Originally posted by dhau@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 03:06 PM

Hey Rockin'-B, PM me your address, I'll send you a free (but you pay the shipping) model 2 Saturn chipped and working great, but with some crazy ugly blue paint job (I didn't do it!). Hopefully you can move the guts to your dead Saturn shell. I can also add a Gameshark for a moderate amount.

Let me know if you're interested.

[post=140422]Quoted post[/post]​

Crazy man, this must be christmas! :rolleyes:

I'll PM you my address and let's see what the cheapest shipping costs (usually by ship, not airmail).

Thanks, dhau! :banana

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 07:47 PM

Damn commslink, I need a more reliable connection method via serial or pad port. Like is used on Dreamcast with the serial upload slave. Anyone?

I'll get started on fixing my transfer protocol tonight and if I have time, on the saturn port. What is the most appropriate address to load a binary to on the Saturn? Or I suppose the more appropriate question is, what region of memory is least likely to be used by a program. I want to make it so a program aware of the loader can exit back out to it.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny+Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 02:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 02:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll get started on fixing my transfer protocol tonight and if I have time, on the saturn port.
[post=140581]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Wait, you already did it for Saturn? That would really be my solution.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 02:44 AM

What is the most appropriate address to load a binary to on the Saturn?

I don't know any homebrew which is not loaded to address 0x6004000. Some commercial games may use a different address.

<!--QuoteBegin-Mask of Destiny
@Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 02:44 AM

Or I suppose the more appropriate question is, what region of memory is least likely to be used by a program. I want to make it so a program aware of the loader can exit back out to it.

[/quote]

Maybe the low work RAM at 0x200000 (or any other region than work RAM would have to be tested)?

But you never know...

What's 100 percent sure is, that no program is executed from cartridge memory, as this is strictly forbidden by SEGA.

A 3rd and crazy option is to configure the SH2 cache to be half cache and half RAM and execute the program from the RAM half of the cache. But you would have to ask Cyber Warrior X if it's possible to put a minimalistic version of CDC library for file access into 2kB.

There must be a 4th option, since the FLD lib I used in my Atlas bootloader uses a memory region in high work RAM prior to 0x6004000. I don't know the details, have a look at the docs.

I haven't started work on the Saturn version. I want to fix the protocol on the Sega CD version before I port it. I got done with most of the protocol design last night. Just a few more details to work out and then I can work on implementation. Assuming I can find time to work on it (generally a bad assumption) I see no reason I couldn't have a basic version running on the Saturn sometime this week.

But you would have to ask Cyber Warrior X if it's possible to put a minimalistic version of CDC library for file access into 2kB.

I don't see why I would need the CDC library. The whole loader will be crammed into the IP.BIN. If the program that gets loaded needs CD access I assume it will handle that itself.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny+Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 03:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 03:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't see why I would need the CDC library.

[post=140617]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Of course, sorry I mixed it up.

<!--QuoteBegin-Mask of Destiny
@Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 03:54 PM

The whole loader will be crammed into the IP.BIN.

[post=140617]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Good idea!

It will transfer data over the controller port just like my Sega CD cable. They're electrically the same, I just need to build an adapter (I'm just going to hack a Saturn keyboard adapter).

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 03:15 AM

[post=140250]Quoted post[/post]​

It's *magic*, again: I could repair my EMS 4M Plus cart, it works again!

Oh, big thanks to dhau, he donated a modchipped canadean Saturn. I applied region mod and 50/60Hz mod and placed it in a newer case and the Saturn works great! Thanks so much! :bow

Back