My new project is up!

mrkotfw

Mid Boss
Update! 2006/10/10

Update! 2006/12/18

Hello everyone! After a few months of hard work I have finally been able to call my "scraps of code" a real project! I have decided to have it hosted at SourceForge. The project name is libyaul, its basicly an alternative to the SBL/SGL libraries.
  • It has support for the standard digital and analog pad using the SMPC control mode. (SH-2 direct mode will not be supported.)
  • Support for all the documentated SMPC commands. (except for the Netlink/X-band commands.)
  • Basic support for the normal and basic rotational VDP2 backgrounds. (Functions are named similar to the SGL libraries.)
  • Support up to 32,768 colors.
  • Basic CPU DMA support.
  • Basic SCU DMA (direct) support. (Hopefully indirect will work.)
  • Interrupts supported by using the BIOS functions. (Using SCU interrupts; not SH-2 CPU interrupts.)
  • And a few other features I can't think of right now!
  • It Will have support for the SCSP, and the CD block.
  • Automaticly calculates the VRAM cycle pattern timers. (Code is currently broken.)
  • Incomplete DRAM support.
If you would like to help contribute code, please check out the repository! The site itself is incomplete, but I'm sure Guillaume and I will get it up soon.

RockinB said:
Very cool, Piratero!

Sorry, I haven't had time to release my SGL replacement...still to come
Mine still has a long way to go until its complete. Good luck! I'm hoping that I can maybe get some ideas from your code :proud:

It sounds good.

Looking at the sources, I don't see high level functions. Could you provide some simple code sample for us to see what a program using libyaul would look like ?

thanks.

vreuzon said:
It sounds good.

Looking at the sources, I don't see high level functions. Could you provide some simple code sample for us to see what a program using libyaul would look like ?

thanks.

There are two samples now :

- Line Screen example

- Paddle test

I'm very sorry for not responding! I've been busy (and I have forgotten about SegaXtreme!) I haven't really attempted to find an easier way to display a sprite onto the screen, but it isn't very difficult. Check the CVS repository (src/vdp1.c) as to how to display a normal texture. The idea is to send a "packet." I'll write up an example soon. By the way, I have updated my first post.

Thanks vbt. As of now, I'm too busy with school! I made a TODO list so I know what I need to cover in order to have something decent to officially release. As of now, everyone can check (an outdated) a snapshot of the work I've done. The directory is called "rewrite."

I'll be sure to have something done before 2008.

The code is there for anyone to contribute! CONTRIBUTE!!!

I apologize. I never got around to committing the repository. I've stopped working on the project for at least a year.

Chilly Willy, if you're really interested, send me an e-mail and I'll try to find a working copy of it.

Chilly Willy said:
You took care of it before I could PM you. :biggrin:

Thanks for putting it up. Even broken code is better than nothing.

You're the first to ask for the source code (at least ONE person is interested!).

Oh, and... please contribute! Send me patches! Anything!

Piratero said:
You're the first to ask for the source code (at least ONE person is interested!).

Oh, and... please contribute! Send me patches! Anything!

I most likely will... I do mean to try my hand at Saturn homebrew, and something other than SGL/SBL seems like it should get more attention.

Hey Piratero, I was interested in it. I grabbed the link off you a while ago. I wanted to grab the source off you but you sent me to the repositories. I took a look at it for reference.

Chilly, it is just one of many SGL/SBL replacements. RockinB has one, theres Piratero's and then CyberWarriorX has one too iirc? A few just do all the stuff themselves and reuse the code so in a way...

Amon said:
Hey Piratero, I was interested in it. I grabbed the link off you a while ago. I wanted to grab the source off you but you sent me to the repositories. I took a look at it for reference.

Chilly, it is just one of many SGL/SBL replacements. RockinB has one, theres Piratero's and then CyberWarriorX has one too iirc? A few just do all the stuff themselves and reuse the code so in a way...

Maybe a sticky thread could be set up with links to the various replacements along with a list of pros and cons for each. I don't remember seeing something like that in the development forum - every one I've looked at points you to SGL/SBL.

Chilly Willy said:
Maybe a sticky thread could be set up with links to the various replacements along with a list of pros and cons for each. I don't remember seeing something like that in the development forum - every one I've looked at points you to SGL/SBL.

Good idea. I can already tell you that Lapetus supports a lot of exotic features. Mine has them, but they're not up in the repositories, yet.

Back