My sister doesn't know how to use a computer

My sister is frustrating the hell out of me. She doesn't know ANY BASIC COMMANDS under WinXP. She can't figure out how to install Office and she can't explain to me the problem!!!!!! :flamethrower:
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

Anyway, are there any good "idiot" sites she could look at and figure this out? Thanks.

Have her get a "Dummies" book or maybe take a class.

It worked for my mom
smile.gif

Your sister doesn't know how to use a computer, and you want us to tell you about a site she can look at? An Internet site?

Think about that.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Jurai@Jul 21, 2003 @ 04:27 AM

Send your sister my way and ill make her the best 'joystick' user on earth

ROFL!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by Jurai@Jul 21, 2003 @ 04:27 AM

Send your sister my way and ill make her the best 'joystick' user on earth

That went way too far.
angry.gif
Don't you ever make such a snide comment like that again.

That's not for you to decide. If tsumake doesn't find it acceptable, then it's not a joke.

hmm, I wish you would have been that nice to my feelings as you are to tsumakes.

Next time someone else picks on you I will.
smile.gif

If she wants to learn, the best way is probably to have her drive you crazy by using it and asking questions. But I doubt that solution is acceptable to you
wink.gif
. The best way to learn is always to mess around and make mistakes, but you can't always do that with something as expensive as computers. I think a lot of the time the problem is that if you're inexperienced with that kind of stuff, you always think you're going to break something if you do the wrong thing.

A bit of gentle encouragement would probably work wonders.

Well, this won't last forever. She's getting a mac for college, and I don't know diddly about the system, even though I know it's a superior system and all (I'm a PC gamer, dammit). Anyway, we got her a book about OS X and she'll just have to learn how to use it on her own.....hopefully. <_<

Originally posted by tsumake@Jul 21, 2003 @ 04:45 PM

Well, this won't last forever. She's getting a mac for college, and I don't know diddly about the system, even though I know it's a superior system and all (I'm a PC gamer, dammit). Anyway, we got her a book about OS X and she'll just have to learn how to use it on her own.....hopefully. <_<

Well I know some people that are not the most computer literate and they feel more comfortable with Macs.

They are known to be more intuitive for new users and take difficulties out of a lot of things. She should be happier with a Mac

I've found the best way to learn is to not be afraid to screw something up. I've found the best way to teach someone something is to say: "Play around with it, if something goes wrong I'll fix it, just don't be afraid that you'll screw something up". Works like a charm.

I gave my 4th grade cousin a computer about a month ago... today I just got an email from him ^_^; and he hasn't messed the computer up yet!

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:49 PM

I've found the best way to learn is to not be afraid to screw something up. I've found the best way to teach someone something is to say: "Play around with it, if something goes wrong I'll fix it, just don't be afraid that you'll screw something up". Works like a charm.

I gave my 4th grade cousin a computer about a month ago... today I just got an email from him ^_^; and he hasn't messed the computer up yet!

good advice

whenever I talk to PC-phobics I tell them that playing around with it is the best way to learn. That's what I did when I was younger.

Problem is most people don't believe me when I tell them that.

It's like they think they must be born with PC-user-talent.

Good choice to go with the Mac! Tell your sister I'm proud of her! Since Macs rule and all... and Windows nothing more than... um... I got my point across.. I'll shutup now.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 22, 2003 @ 05:35 AM

Good choice to go with the Mac! Tell your sister I'm proud of her! Since Macs rule and all... and Windows nothing more than... um... I got my point across.. I'll shutup now.

From my direct experience with the average PC user (I'm selling them on a daily basis), a good 60% (at least) would benefit from not using PCs and instead switching to Macs. I mean, throw out that shit about 'non-upgradeability' and 'lack of programs' - most people don't need that extra nonsense. A Mac is self-contained - if more people knew that, there'd be more Mac users. Yeah, the older Mac OSes really were awful, but hacking FreeBSD was the best thing that Apple could've done. That, and getting intel and others to help them.

Originally posted by Lyzel@Jul 22, 2003 @ 08:20 PM

Give her a romance book. She doesn't need a computer!

And you wonder why us girls are very rare to find out on the internet, shitheads like you just make us want to come out of the closet and talk. :damn:

Back