mystery problems w/sat

OK I just sold my second saturn which is in perfect condition on ebay.

So before it goes out I check and make sure everything is OK. I put in a US game no problem.

Next I put in one of two ARP4mb auto I have to boot up Radiant Silvergun and the system locks up at the CD control menu (yes I wiggled the cart and pulled it up just a bit but no go) anyway I did not have time to screw around so i grabbed my second cart and all is good.

The first cart worked perfect the last time I used it, so I figured it may just be dirty.

After sending out the saturn I grabbed my primary saturn and cleaned the ARP that was giving me trouble. I plugged it in and nothing works. I cleaned the contacts on the cart and nothing. I take the cart out still nothing.

Now I'm worried.

By the way, this saturn is a brand new 21/32 modded that I used less than 20 times. Last time I used it everything was perfect. Next I open the case and remove the mod, re-insert the ribbon cable on both ends and nada.

I have a feeling the ARP that was not working cooked my mother board or the CD board, though I'm not positive because I booted w the ARP first. I will bet it is though. I was pissed because I just sold my backup saturn and can't do a damn thing.

I just bought two saturns off ebay, and have no intention to use that ARP and I'll put a region switch in because the cart is very suspicious. Has anyone seen this before?

Also the cart in question has the vampire mod, and it worked perfect last time I used it. If anyone wants the cart to screw around with let me know, cause I'm not taking any chances.

you said it didnt work when you put the arp4 on the catridge right?

now..... did you try playing the console before opening it up and removing the modchip? it seems that you just tried it with a arp (which didnt work) and opened it up and unplugged the mod chip and brought back everything together in original place (which you didnt test without the arp)

well i havent heard of a case where someone actually get their saturn fried by the catridge........... it shouldnt really happen that way.....

did you check if the saturn is getting any power? or if the saturn cdrom was not getting any power? it could be that the saturn voltage box is malfunctioning

well sorry if couldnt be anymore of help to ya =/

Check that the AR cart hasn't damaged the cart slot.

My brother had a 1MB AR that was a little thicker than a Sega cart. One time when he used the cart it somehow bent a couple of the pins within the cart slot and shorted them out. Until I separated the pins, the Saturn appeared to be dead.

It may not be the problem you're having, but it may be worth a look.

last time i used my primary saturn it worked fine with the ARP, so when i tested it i did not try it without it first.

the cart does have a thick board, also this cart does not have the beveled edge like my good one. i checked the cart slot, it seamed ok but i will look closer.

i can tell you whats it doing though. when you have the cart in it acts the same as without it (wont boot to menu). then it says checing disc format and then nothing it just sits. wont load tracks nothing,sometimes it says drive door open when its not. dont know what happened, tell me more about the power supply-thanks

A damaged cart or cart slot can cause problems with CD block communication, as they're both on the same physical bus.

hey i noticed something new even if there is a disc in the drive or not the cd hub keeps pulsing it goes for a sec then stops and repeats. usualy when you open the cd door to remove a disc when the power is on the cd brake kicks in and stops the disc but it wont with the door open or closed.i think in the wrong direction to.i heard other people asking about this, but dont know what it could be. well even if my saturn is shot i just want to know what is still good for parts. i would be happier if the mobo was gone so i would have a replacement laser(since its new) when i need it. does anyone know if i could use a 32pin IC cd board with a saturn that had a 64 pin IC board.question is can i mix and match. maybe when i get some time i could buy the defective core units from VGLQ on ebay for 5 bucks each and perform some surgery. also VGLQ will let you choose the style and model number of your choice.i asked them and they said thats fine.so who knows.Thanks for the help guys

hey guys i got my new saturn and the first thing i did was install a region switch,cost me three bucks and some labor.works perfect, only thing triky was getting those micro resistors off the main bord where the jumpers are.but before i did the mod i had to experiment, so i took the laser out of my recently dead saturn and put it in the new one i just got off ebay.well what do you know it does the same thing i descibed in this thread. now i know its the cd board or the laser at fault.the laser has little to no wear could it be the board? but what the hell, this unit was brand new and worked perfect the last time i used it.anyway at least im up and running again but this remains a mystery.also for the PAR cart in question it will never see another cartridge slot again just to be safe. if anyone is interseted i noticed that the US release of Panzer Dragoon 2 is both USA and Jap region coded so it can be played in both systems with no mods. found that out when i had my switch in jap and it booted up with no problems.

Back