N64 and Neo Geo

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 2, 2003 @ 05:23 AM

Like you've never once in your life blown in a cart

If my cart does not work, I get up, go to the phone, dial 1-800-USA-SEGA, and wait for further instructions. If this option is not available, I calmly walk to the tool cabinet and get a can of compressed air which I apply from a distance to 9 inches to the contacts.

:bs

ok, ok, I blow on it too.

Originally posted by jeff-20+Jul 1, 2003 @ 09:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeff-20 @ Jul 1, 2003 @ 09:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-googlefest1@Jul 1, 2003 @ 09:04 PM

to put a console in an arcade box -- id probbaly choose the saturn

I was thinking the same thing earlier, google, but would the "loading screens" bug you? [/b][/quote]

no, i dont get bothered by that -- i dont mind -- i understand that its a limitation of the mechanizm and i would rather be playing a game off a cd ( for all the extras you can put on a cd i.e. video and better sound) than a cart

personaly i wouldnt put a console in a arcade cabinet -- id put arcade boards into arcade cabinets

-- i would feel i jiped my self for trying to pretend i have an arcade

but if i had a choice of console -- saturn

-- dont take me wrong im not trying to rain on your parade -- just trying to explain why the loading screen wouldnt bother me

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Jul 2, 2003 @ 06:30 PM

i've played arcade games that had loading screens, so whats the big deal?

Which game? Do you remember? Did it actually say "Now Loading..." ?

Over here I've seen two rather odd Tekken 3 and Street Fighter EX cabinets in an arcade.

What was strange? They were obviously the PSOne version, with FMV intros, loading and all that shit.

How did they made those into actual coin-op based arcades? I think there was some extra hardware wired-in. It would print "insert coin" over the game image. When a coin was inserted, it seems the hardware triggered the PSOne's start buttom twice (so it would get directly into arcade mode).

I think it obviously was not able to detect if the player has lost, so the extra hardware simply worked like this:

- Overlay a "insert coin" message if there's no control activity after some time

- Press start buttom twice when coin is inserted.

it was some hunting game cost like a buck a play and it said generating or something of the like took it like 30 seconds to generate the land and like 2 deer you had ta kill. on each level. then there was jurassic park it had lil screens telling you to get ready and stuff like that.

Back