Nakoruru Translation POC by Derek Pascarella for Dreamcast

Mr^Burns

Staff member

"Nakoruru: Anohito Kara no Okurimono (ナコルル 〜あのひとからのおくりもの〜) is a visual novel for the Sega Dreamcast. It is a spinoff from SNK's Samurai Shodown series."

Since the video preview posted yesterday, I spent some time on creating a new font. Unfortunately, this game only has full-width (22x22) font-rendering built-in. I have yet to be successfully in reducing the pixel width by a third or half.

That being said, this new font's lettering is thinner than the previous and as such, it definitely has an improved look. If this is as good as I can get it, then I'm happy! Here are a few previews...

1630511543730.png

1630511555401.png

1630511570390.png

1630511580198.png

1630511669428.png

Just a little preview for those interested :)

As you can see, we've got our English lyrics at the top (with creative liberties taken for purposes of natural poetic flow and limited screen real estate) and our Romaji at the bottom. The player gets to learn the meaning behind Nakoruru's song throughout four different iterations of this minigame, including the phonetic pronunciation. Originally, this game was a very elementary Japanese keyboard test for players, and this is the best I can do to deliver something in this patch that A) makes sense and retains the original purpose of the minigame and B) is actually playable.

Back