Neo Geo Clones

Since SNK is no more and Playmore have bought their intellectual property rights, is there any chance of someone manufacturing cheap AES Neo Geo clones? Does Playmore just own the rights to SNK's software? It'd be really great if some Korean or Taiwanese company started making some cheap AES systems and cartridges for those of us who'd like to pay less than $100 a game...

It'd be really great if some Korean or Taiwanese company started making some cheap AES systems and cartridges for those of us who'd like to pay less than $100 a game...

It would probably be possible to make the Neo-Geo hardware quite a bit less expensive, though it would very likely require a redesign - a lot of older hardware is designed for older manufacturing processes; unfortunately, it's not just a matter of sending the design files off to TSMC and asking them to make more.

As for games, getting them under $100 (in terms of newly-manufactured carts) would be a challenge, even in today's market. You could sit around and compare meg counts or whatever, but what it comes down to is that the Neo cart design is inherently more expensive than typical cartridges - a Neo cart needs two PCBs, at least 5 memories, and a large case. Basically, Neo-Geo CD was made for a reason (and it might not be such a bad idea to revive that concept, actually).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Dec. 13 2002, 1:24 pm

(and it might not be such a bad idea to revive that concept, actually).

with a large speed increase of course.

heck -- if they did that, I might buy one.

I can't afford Neo-Geo carts.

Yeah, NGCD was actually an excellent idea, it was just limited by the technology of the time - CD-ROM drives were too slow and RAM was too expensive. I imagine an NGCD system made today wouldn't have much of a disadvantage except for startup time.

ExCyber,

Everyone can afford the carts bro. And I dont mean everyone is rich or whatever.. (im FAR from wealthy). YOu just gotta look in the right places. Here are some of my experiences.

KOF 95 and 98, found from a guy in Japan, got both of them for 80 bucks. They were mint, only thing was that the clasp for the cart case was broken on 98, woo big deal.

Windjammers (kind of a rare game, worth almost $200)- i found it at a PAWN shop. Seriously, they had no idea what it was, $25, pretty much mint. Same thing with Panzer Dragoon Saga, found it at a pawn shop. 5 bucks.

found a neo with 5 games at a flea market, 150 or so. I didnt buy it, i had one already. But i SHOULD have bought it.

Those are my only neo experiences, but you can find them if you look hard enough. I never liked the NeoCD, it just wasnt the same. To me, it was like playing a port of the game on the Saturn/PSX, etc.

alot of that's luck

some of us are far from wealthy and far from lucky

yeah, a negogeo cd with decent load times would definantly be worth getting

I'm not trying to say that it's impossible to find Neo stuff, just that it could be better, and that it would be nice for Playmore to actually make some money on it (sales of new AES games aren't exactly brisk).

Well, I know that !ARCADE! was supposed to make a new version of the AES. Calling it an AES2 or something. (www.neogeousa.com) The thing about it was this. It was going to be able to play BOTH MVS and AES carts. I don't know how they were gonna do it or whatever, and it wasnt going to look as nice as the original AES. I believe the idea was scrapped, why I dont know.

That would have been nice to have though. Especially for MVS only games.

The rumors I heard heavily suggested that the "AES2" was going to be based on retrofitted MVS hardware (new case, video outputs, controller connectors, and AES cart slot). It was probably scrapped because more money could be made on modded AES systems and converters, though IIRC the official reason was bad reception by the Neo fan community (read: neo-geo.com forums).

And so on. For now, it's not clear to me that anyone is in a position to actually make new Neo hardware.
sad.gif

if some other company made systems, altho illegal, i wouldnt complain so much. but fuck, pirateing the games?? thats just wrong.

and SNK is not dead or gone as you may think. PLAYMORE not only owns all the IP's, (except the snk logo because it has HUGE debt attached to it) but they ARE SNK (under a new name)

as far as cheap neogeo goes...you are going to want to go with MVS carts. most mvs games dont break the 100 mark. kof2002 is allready $250 something i think.

there are three ways you can go about doing this.

1. get a neogeo home system (can be had for $150) and an arcade convertor ($250) and never spend outrageous prices on home carts again.

2. you could buy/build a supergun. the bect one you can buy is the one from www.massystems.com which'll run you $300 to buy or about $200 to build. plus you will need a neogeo MCS board, available in many different flavors (tons of 1 slots, and all the way up to 6 slot...more infor can be found at www.hardmvs.com) shouldnt cost more than 100 for a 1 slot or 200 for a 6.

3. you could go all the way (which can be the cheapest AND most rewarding. get a cabinet. find an arcade auction or an ebay auction near you (so you can pick it up) and just go that way if you have the room. i payed 400 for mine with 12 games and a 1 slot and 19 monitor (and i actually over payed, but i didnt know better) basically you wont have to spend more than 200 at most (for a 19) if you look hard enough.

so there you have it, the complete run down. if you have any questions drop me a line at sonic1687@comcast.net

and yes, im from neo-geo.com. but im originally from here WAYY back when. (remember freedrives? thats how long ago)

Actaully what would be the coolest is if they made new software for the 64 bit system !!!!!!!!!

Theres only i duno seven games on it :'(

Originally posted by DBOY@Jan. 04 2003, 7:33 am

That's because it sucked ass. The 3D Samurai Spirits and Garou Densetsu were just awful.

the games I played werent so bad and I think this motherboard has tons of potential but only about 6 games for it so far .

Originally posted by Xavier+Jan. 04 2003, 11:48 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier @ Jan. 04 2003, 11:48 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DBOY@Jan. 04 2003, 7:33 am

That's because it sucked ass. The 3D Samurai Spirits and Garou Densetsu were just awful.

the games I played werent so bad and I think this motherboard has tons of potential but only about 6 games for it so far .[/b][/quote]

I could have sworn there were only 3 games made for they hng64. Could be wrong of course.

Yeah, I only thought there were 3. It wasn't any more impressive than an N64 and the fighting games were just bad. Even the people I know who are huge Garou fans didn't like Wild Ambition.

nope theres a driving game , a shooting game (beast buster), and at least four fighting games .....you guys keep missing the point who cares if you like the games released on it or not ...it another motherboard 4 times as powerfull as the standard mvs cart one it had alot of potential .

But as I recall the hardware was incredibly geared to 3D games ONLY. Much like the Nintendo 64. Sorry but that being that case I see no reason to revive it. It pretty much proved that classic SNK series could not survive the transition to 3D.

Originally posted by DBOY@Jan. 05 2003, 1:14 am

But as I recall the hardware was incredibly geared to 3D games ONLY. Much like the Nintendo 64. Sorry but that being that case I see no reason to revive it. It pretty much proved that classic SNK series could not survive the transition to 3D.

Yeah I think you just want to argue , I dont believe theres totally geared towards 3d anyways the reason n-64 and ng-64 hyper games are mostly 3-d is because thats the fad of the time period . Just because some guy you met told you he didnt like these games doesnt mean there no good and snk games cannot transition to 3-d , any game can in the right hands .

Originally posted by DBOY@Jan. 04 2003, 2:40 pm

Yeah, I only thought there were 3. It wasn't any more impressive than an N64 and the fighting games were just bad. Even the people I know who are huge Garou fans didn't like Wild Ambition.

oh and the games ive played are much better than any n-64 game ever wil be . about 100X as much detail .

Also compring the hyper to a n-64 is like comparing the aes system to a genesis

I wo..uldnt count on you to make any kind of archive .

either your not very good at counting or remembering or you just know nothing ....look at your post were you said theres only 7 street fighter games and 5 kof's .
tongue.gif

Back