NeoGenesis on XBox 1 problem

I rather ask the question here than on the Xport forums, which seem to be quite deserted. I use the latest version of NeoGenesis for the XBox 1, and have the strange problem that I can't play BIN/CUE SegaCD images unless the bin file does not have spaces in the file name. Weird!

Is this a known bug in Neogenesis? Anyone else has this problem?

The reason I found that out is that I am currently digitizing all my SegaCD and Saturn games properly, i.e. in BIN/CUE format instead of ISO/MP3. What wasn't practical a few years ago because of harddisk space issues and led to the infamous ISO/MP3 ripping spree, is now not a problem anymore with regular desktop harddisks approaching the 1TB mark. Still, new packers like 7zip can reduce the rip size to about 60-70% if really necessary.

So, I was looking for a filename convention for my properly ripped images, and came up with (e.g.)

(SegaCD) Shining Force CD (U)!.cue

(SegaCD) Shining Force CD (U)!.bin

That works fine in Kega, but Neogenesis refuses to load that unless I rename it like this (and modify the CUE sheet contents accordingly):

(SegaCD) Shining Force CD (U)!.cue

(SegaCD)_Shining_Force_CD_(U)!.bin

That is a bit annoying, because I usually play emulated games on my big screen with the beamer using the XBox 1 as platform.

Any suggestions? Help appreciated.

I think this might actually be related to limitations in Xbox's FATX code, but I don't really remember; it might just be a bug in NeoGenesis. I'm pretty sure there are apps floating around on e.g. Xbox Scene to automatically munge filenames to deal with the FATX limitations, which will probably become an issue for you at some point anyway since the filename length is fairly limited (42 characters including extension, I think).

ExCyber said:
I think this might actually be related to limitations in Xbox's FATX code, but I don't really remember; it might just be a bug in NeoGenesis.

Probably it's a bug because with most files I haven't reach the filename limit yet - and the issue also occurs when loading the images via SMB instead of from FATX locally.

I guess I'll just post the report on the XPort forums anyway, and hope there'll be a new release of NeoGenesis sometime.

I wish Kega Fusion was available for XBox1...

Back