NES emulation

I had a little time to work on that today and managed to display something
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SnowBros.gif

Thanks
smile.gif
In fact I was always using the NES 64 colors palette, and I have put palette redefinition in comment.
blush.gif
blush.gif
Now it work better but it seems on every game the palette is redefined 1 time more than it's needed. SO I loose the right palette.
sad.gif

SnowBros-good.gif

Project restarted from zero. This time I will use FCE Ultra as source code and will try to port it correctly. I just started to compile this project and load the ROM in memory :)

Just a few side notes:

The first Dreamcast NES emulator also ran half speed with sound, but now there are two that run full speed with sound about 99% of the time (I've never seen NesterDC slow down).

PS1 isn't a good comparsion. PS1 just doesn't have the CPU muscle of Saturn, and it has half the usable RAM... two 26.8MHz SH-2's clobber PS1's r3000A, then you factor in the ~14MHz 68EC0000 for sound and the 20MHz SH-1... =) I don't know exactly how much the SH-1 could be used, but it could certainly handle the cartridge interface and probably also mapper emulation (incidentally, it has 512kb local RAM, and guess how big NES's biggest games are?).

I don't know exactly how much the SH-1 could be used, but it could certainly handle the cartridge interface and probably also mapper emulation (incidentally, it has 512kb local RAM, and guess how big NES's biggest games are?).

I don't think the SH1 can be programmed in any way (or not that we know of) - same thing for accessing the CD buffer

PS1 isn't a good comparsion. PS1 just doesn't have the CPU muscle of Saturn, and it has half the usable RAM

Well, the MIPS is a bit more efficient than the SuperH (at least from my exp) and the hassle involved with running the 2 SH2's in parallel throws away some of the extra performance, even more because they run on the same RAM... so the performance won't be that bigger.

Moreover, what makes you think the Sat has the double amount of RAM?

PS1 has 2MB total. Saturn has 4.5MB total.

Saturn has 2MB general-purpose RAM that the SH-2's can access at will.

And that's before you count expansion cartridges.

PS1 has 2MB total.

No, it has 2MB work RAM. There's also 1MB VRAM and 512KB of sound RAM. The additional RAM in Saturn is dedicated to particular functions (specifically CD block RAM and framebuffers for VDP1-VDP2 rendering integration), so it's not as simple as having 3.5 vs. 4.5.

hmm.. that nes emu for psx, called pnes I think, ran mostly fullspeed, and I'm sure it could run fullspeed with some optimizing.. SMS worked too afterall. so full speed on saturn shouldn't be any prob either.

well PnesX ran slower than imbNES... the first one was written in C and the last one entirely in MIPS assembly. Shows you what a lil' optimizing can do :p

It's just to say I've really started to port FCE Ultra, this is a small pic. It seems to be a little faster than previous try of porting FCE 0.1 :) but it need more work.

mario.gif

a second update :) with Mario 3 this time. There is no pad management but it should not be too hard. The main problem is the speed, it even slower than SMS emu. Maybe the core of FCE Ultra is slow ? I removed everything useless and won nothing :( .

next tasks are :

- pad management

- a menu (derived from SMS Emu :) )

- work on speed (but no idea for now)

Back