New Dragon Force PS2 Images

New images of the Dragon Force PS2 remake have surfaced. You can find them at Sega's Official Site.

ss_03.jpg
ss_09.jpg

That's....pretty durn kewl. Are they going to release this game stateside? I have it on the Saturn, but I would definitely pick up a copy to play on my PStwo.

Originally posted by schi0249@Sun, 2005-01-30 @ 03:06 AM

Man I hope so. This is my all time favorite saturn game. I was hoping they would release 1 and 2 together.

[post=128610]Quoted post[/post]​

Now that would be icing on the cake. I would pay 50 bucks for DF 1+2 combo any day of the week.

What's interesting about the screenshots is that it looks like they kept the same game engine from the original saturn version but added antialiasing to the sprites. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but why not? If it lowers production costs that's fine by me. It just reminds me of when I used to play my PSX games on ePSXe.

Heh, years after the PS2's release I finally have 2 reasons to purchase one. This and Phantasy Star!

:wanker :wanker :wanker

Originally posted by tsumake@Sat, 2005-01-29 @ 09:43 PM

What's interesting about the screenshots is that it looks like they kept the same game engine from the original saturn version but added antialiasing to the sprites. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but why not? If it lowers production costs that's fine by me. It just reminds me of when I used to play my PSX games on ePSXe.

[post=128615]Quoted post[/post]​

PS2 doesn't have anti-aliasing. It simply cant do it. All they did is run the game at 640x480 on ps2, and downsize the screenshots.

I thought anti-aliasing was possible on the PS2, but only with a software implemenation since the hardware does not support it natively. According to IGN, Summoner was the first to do it, though there was some form of a performance hit. Here were sections of the article:

In a recent interview with Daily Radar, James Hague of Volition claimed that they had licked the whole aliasing problem, as they were able to get Full Scene Anti-aliasing running on Summoner, the company's upcoming PS2 RPG, with a negligible hit on the game's performance. This was seen as a titanic revelation because based on previous reports, people were claiming that while anti-aliasing could be done on PS2 or that it could only be done with a serious hit to the game's performance.

... ...

The method that Volition got working is a type of FSAA that is a process performed in the display hardware to the entire screen after the frame is rendered but while it is being sent to the TV. And while you will still see jaggies, it will be a lot less apparent. The most noticeable affect is the substantial reduction of the shimmering in the game's background.

To my knowledge though, most companies don't attempt this.

Yeah that is true that they found a way to use AA on ps2 through software but you are correct, pretty much no one does this because it takes a mean chunk of processing power. It's not true AA like all modern PC graphics cards support. But like I said, those images are just 640x480 shots shrunken down so they appear softer. This isn't rocket science people. Play some 3d pc game right now in 640x480, hit Print Screen, import into photoshop, and resize to 50%. Theres your "anti aliasing".

Wow.. the AA myth is still alive and running.

The PS2 is capable of Anti-Aliasing via hardware, whether anyone here believes me or not I can guarantee you it's true. Just do a little research, or :rtfm

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Mon, 2005-01-31 @ 12:02 AM

The PS2 is capable of Anti-Aliasing via hardware, whether anyone here believes me or not I can guarantee you it's true. Just do a little research, or :rtfm

[post=128727]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd rather you show me this...F-ing manual.

...in the document posted by Sony in the PS2 developers' forums. According to the document, developers could use the display hardware to perform the anti-aliasing. It just wasn't explained fully in the hardware documentation as it simply said that there's a display hardware and it let's you do some stuff.

Anyways, to sum the whole thing up, the PS2 has always been capable of Anti-Aliasing via hardware, but Sony, being the geniuses they are didn't go through the trouble of explaining any of it in detail in the dev manuals. Until of course, people started complaining.

Anyways, here's a link to the whole article if you're desperate to read it. PS2: Aliased No More

hopefully this puts to rest the entire myth about the PS2 and AA in this forum. If we're gonna bash Sony we might as well have facts on our side when we do it.

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Mon, 2005-01-31 @ 12:24 PM

Anyways, to sum the whole thing up, the PS2 has always been capable of Anti-Aliasing via hardware, but Sony, being the geniuses they are didn't go through the trouble of explaining any of it in detail in the dev manuals. Until of course, people started complaining.

Anyways, here's a link to the whole article if you're desperate to read it. PS2: Aliased No More

hopefully this puts to rest the entire myth about the PS2 and AA in this forum. If we're gonna bash Sony we might as well have facts on our side when we do it.

[post=128790]Quoted post[/post]​

No one bashed sony. Calm yourself. Besides, show me some games that actually use this feature? Because every game I've seen on the system has jagged lines out the butt. Very easy to notice on multi-console titles. The developers like to show fake screenshots of their PS2 games. Look at the ones for Silent Hill 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3. 100% fake. PS2 can't do 1600x1200 resolution heh.

Originally posted by FunkyPoopMonkey@Tue, 2005-02-01 @ 06:25 AM

Because every game I've seen on the system has jagged lines out the butt. Very easy to notice on multi-console titles. The developers like to show fake screenshots of their PS2 games. Look at the ones for Silent Hill 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3. 100% fake. PS2 can't do 1600x1200 resolution heh.

Not fake screenshots, those are called DevShots™, and every developer for every system does it, not only PlayStation2 developers.

If every game you have seen has a huge amount of jaggies, you have not seen enough.

Play Metal Gear Solid 3, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4, Anubis Zone of the Enders, and others - when good development teams make use of the PlayStation2 hardware, they get good results.

And also let me add, that you will get to see jaggies in games on all 3 systems, obviously, depending on who's developing.

Almost all new PS2 games use this feature as it's been fairly well documented at this point. AA isn't going to get rid of all the jaggies, a lot of other factors tie into it.

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Mon, 2005-01-31 @ 01:02 AM

The PS2 is capable of Anti-Aliasing via hardware...

Yeah, and it looks like this myth that the PS2 can perform true full screen anti-aliasing with no loss in performance is alive and kicking too.

You and IGNorant's article make it sound as if Sony's PS2 could deal with the problem of aliasing all along by blurring out the rough edges on jagged textures, but most developers were either unaware of it in the beginning or simply chose not to use it because the method in question (which someone has made sound like the exact same method the Dreamcast uses) would detract from texture quality. What's that I smell? Bullshit.

Allow me to quote a relevant point from another article:

"Some developers like THQ (Summoner) have used a form of CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) blending to fake the effects that true anti- aliasing would offer. This is something which the DC has had for over two years, but unlike the DC CRT method, the PS2 method results in washed out, blurry textures. Tekken Tag Tournament is the perfect US launch title example. While they have eliminated the jagged edges which plague the Japanese version, the end result is that all of the textures in the game seem blurry or washed out. Hardly what I would call revolutionary for a next-generation console.

While all Dreamcast games run at 640x480 resolution, many PS2 games only utilitize a 640x240 field- rendered display which fakes a 640x480 display. Bad jaggies are the result, and these need to be hidden through some form of anti-aliasing (AA, not yet available), or by using the CRT method described above, with all its unintended consequences".

Face it: the PS2 has no in-built support for true full-screen anti-aliasing. The Dreamcast does, and does it well while the fake PS2 method does not. The only hardware involved in any true PS2 anti-aliasing is the Emotion Engine. Btw, Konami nearly used half of the Emotion Engine's processing power to smoothen out the rough edges in Metal Gear Solid 2 much to the horror and surprise of many PS2 fanboys. Perhaps that's part of the reason why the textures are so bland and grey... unlike Shenmue.

Besides, the Playstation 2 doesn't even need to use anti-aliasing; developers can work their way around the problem by drawing finer 3D character models. Compare the first conversion of Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2 with Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution to see what I mean.

:bs

The largest difference between the DC and the PS2 as far as AA go is that the DC automatically does it, whether you want it to or not. You can hate on IGN and me all you want, but the hardware documentation does not lie.

Back