NO AUDIO! MODCHIP!

Jaded God

Established Member
OK... I just got my mod from Mal... with A+B wires soldered so I only have to solder one wire to the 5v power supply... I plugged in the chip right and put the white cable through it and just slid the wire into the 5 v power supply to test it... All of my games and burns work but one problem... THERE IS NO AUDIO! Sound effects work, but no AUDIO not even on my ORIGINAL Bought SATURN GAMES from the store... Do you know what is wrong?!!

When you say there is no audio, are you talking about CD audio?

I've never heard of anything like it. ???

Do the originals play audio if you remove the mod?

The music tracks any kind of music in the backround is gone from all the games... Even on the menus and such... Picking a character... etc... I will unplug the mod and plug back in the Ribbon Cable and see if it works still that way... I bet it does... Anyways grrr.

Ok here is the verdict... I took out the mod and plugged the white ribbon cable back in and Viola... Music in games all working fine... Put the mod back in.. Test it... FMV works fine with sound... But no Music in any games just sound effects... WTF is wrong? Is it the way you did it with one wire Mal or is it the mod.. The mod does look to be a bit banged up..

Again, I have no idea what is wrong with your set up.

I put the mod into my Saturn to test it and it worked fine. I even play tested a game that I know has some issues with some Saturns (Andretti Racing) and there were no problems.

I don't think it's anything to do with the one wire mod method either as I've modded a few Saturns that way myself and several other SX people have as well.

The mod is no more 'banged up' than any other that I've seen. That's just how they come.

If you can't get it to work, send it back to me and I'll refund your money and give you some more for return postage and stuff.

Then you're on your own to find a new mod and install it however you like.

This has been far too much hassle.
sad.gif

jeez mal you think im retarded... I ask a lot of questions and may make it seem that way... But I always ask again to make sure I know everything I can.... I am doing everything right with this mod and I have tried everything... If anyone can think why music wouldnt play but Sound effects and everything else are fine... When I take out the mod and put the cable back in everything works perfect again.. So it isnt my saturn... ANd if I actually soldered the mod's 5 v wire to the 5v power supply that shouldnt make a difference if it isnt working right when just sticking it in there.. Correct? I dont want to get refunded I want to get it to work
angry.gif
???

No I don't think you are retarded. Asking questions to cofirm things is good, but so is doing research for yourself...

Soldering the wire to the 5v part of the power supply isn't neccessary; I had it wedged into my Saturn's power supply for ages before I bothered to solder it.

I want to get your Saturn to work as well, but this is a new problem that I've not come across before and I don't have an easy answer. It might just be that a refund and trying a different mod might be the best solution. ???

Just out of interest, which type of Saturn do you have?

64pin or 32 pin? You never ended up saying...

Theres a reason why stores don't do this kind of install mod. I guess you guys found one of them.

Edit: You should tell people this trick doesn't work in all cases, rather than self-promoting your mod as a fix all solution. Most of the time you just point people to your thread and when things don't work, blame it on the source of the mods (When they all get the same mods from the same places). Its missleading to new guys, thats all.

You're always fucking useful, aren't you?

At least you didn't come up with any crap about getting 'good' mods from secret Chinese stores this time.

I miss the days of the solderless mod boards....

Oh the good ol days when you just had to plug in the ribbon cable and the 5v connector and thats it, no soldering....

Too bad those things are hard to find now.

I know that you said in your previous posts Mal that you turn the modchip 180 Degrees so that it is facing outwards and not towards the CD Unit... But I was going to try that but the Ribbon Cable isn't long enough to be plugged into the mod when you have the mod plugged into the board... So how do you do this? Anyways If I get that tried and it doesn't work then I was thinking maybe I could ship my saturn to you and the mod you gave me and put the mod in for me and get it to work.. And if that mod you gave me doesn't work try another or something.. Im really stressed and I would appreciate anything... I just want to play NiGHTS sooo bad!

It's only the 64 pin Saturn that needs the mod facing away from the CD board.

I think I'll try sending you another mod before you send me your Saturn.
ohmy.gif
The shipping would be huge!

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Dec. 05 2002, 12:11 am

I miss the days of the solderless mod boards....

Oh the good ol days when you just had to plug in the ribbon cable and the 5v connector and thats it, no soldering....

Too bad those things are hard to find now.

I can see why you gave up selling mods.
sarcasm.gif

No offence intended Jaded God.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Jaded God@Dec. 04 2002, 3:25 pm

Im really stressed and I would appreciate anything... I just want to play NiGHTS sooo bad!

Gee, I sure can understand you fucking around with modchips and warez copies because it's not as if it's one of the most common games or that there's over eighty copies of that game going on eBay right now which will work without hassles or headaches.

Originally posted by antime+Dec. 04 2002, 9:59 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Dec. 04 2002, 9:59 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Jaded God@Dec. 04 2002, 3:25 pm

Im really stressed and I would appreciate anything... I just want to play NiGHTS sooo bad!

Gee, I sure can understand you fucking around with modchips and warez copies because it's not as if it's one of the most common games or that there's over eighty copies of that game going on eBay right now which will work without hassles or headaches.[/b][/quote]

Hehe buying a $20 mod to play a $5 game.

And as for your problem it's really quite simple. The mod is not allowing any CD audio to pass through it. There are several reason why this would happen.

1. The mod is damged and the traces on it that pass through the CD audio signal (at least two of them maybe three if it passes ground as well) are either cut or somehow disconnected from either or both connectors.

2. One of the ribbon cables is damaged and has a break in the wires that send the CD audio signals. Check the one that came with the mod to see if it has any sharp bends in it or if either connector looks damaged.

Other than these two things I doubt anything else is wrong.

Originally posted by antime+Dec. 04 2002, 9:59 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Dec. 04 2002, 9:59 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Jaded God@Dec. 04 2002, 3:25 pm

Gee, I sure can understand you fucking around with modchips and warez copies because it's not as if it's one of the most common games or that there's over eighty copies of that game going on eBay right now which will work without hassles or headaches.[/b][/quote]

Umm not just NiGHTS I have a ton of games... NiGHTS is just the one i want to play most

This thread looks like a Jaded God<->mal private conversation... hehe

humm, as gameboy900 said, and I agree with him, the problem should be something related to the bus, maybe you're not plugging it well on the modboard, or the mod is not well connected to the mainboard... if it doesn't solve the problem.. well, maybe some modboard pins are damaged.

Back