Notebooks

My boss' laptop was stolen a few weeks ago. It was a brand new IBM T41 that cost around $2000. It had waaay more power and capabilities than she needed or would ever use. Despite my advice to the contrary, she insisted on spending the extra cash to get something "nicer." So, we bought it anyway.

Now that we need a replacement she's willing to go cheaper. I have $1000 to spend and was wondering what people could suggest. I didn't really enjoy shopping for a laptop last time and even less this time. What I'm looking for is simple and basic. It needs to be able to run Office applications, check email, surf the internet, and that's about it. Nothing at all spectacular. It also should come installed with XP Pro, not Home.

However, she would like it to be small, if it can be in the price range. I know the Sony T Series is really tiny, but also expensive. Are there any other notebooks out there this size that aren't quite so well equipped?

I've been looking at Dell and Toshiba at her request, and I'm comfortable with both of those brands (though I'm inclined to steer clear of Dell, I've heard their laptops aren't too shabby these days). I've found a number of cheaper systems that will fit the bill. The Toshiba A60-S159 is what I'm currently looking at.

I just thought I'd ask for some advice on this since it's driving me somewhat mad. I don't know if it's just me, or is Dell's website a clumsy, slow, disorganized way to try and shop? Trying to customize things just.. pages of worthless add-on crap.. all I wanted to do was upgrade from Home to Pro.. arrgh.. :damn: oo.. time to go home.

Get a refurbished/used Thinkpad for your cheaper machine.

The only laptops I consider buying are Thinkpads and Powerbooks (and maybe iBooks)

Been owning Thinkpads for 10 years and love them!

For new IBMs there is this for $1100, and this for $1000. If you *must* have XP Pro (and can't live with 2K), I didn't spot any steals on the used IBM hardware. I didn't spot any outstanding deals on a Toshiba, this (the A60 you mentioned) is probably the best deal they have, with a larger battery option for $30. With regards to the Toshiba, there are comparable values at Compaq/HP and Gateway. It comes down to brand preference. Sony laptops tend to be pretty expensive, so I don't know that you've got any options there. Looking at Dells, a properly configured Inspiron 1150 may be your best buy. Maybe. Depending on what you need. I personally don't like Dells.

You need to consider if there any additional needs - battery life important? Wireless necessary/desired? DVD reading capability? CD or even DVD writing? Any additional software?

I've been told and have read in numerous places that you should never buy a used laptop. The logic being that it's such a large purchase, and notebooks are more difficult/expensive to repair, that it's just not a good idea. Though if it comes straight from the company it would probably carry a warranty on it of some kind.

Like I said, all it needs to do is the bare minimum of stuff. Economy to average performance:cost is what I'm looking at. Mostly it's just a way to make files portable and to be able to edit them on the go. The only thing she wanted me to look into was the size this time. But I'm not seeing anything else as small as the Sony, so I'm assuming there's not much else that can be done with that.

Originally when she was set on IBM I was looking at the R series. Again she insisted that we get something "nicer." You'd think that operating on a budget you would listen to the guy that's trying to save you $1000 and knows mostly what he's doing. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Quadriflax+Sat, 2004-12-11 @ 10:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quadriflax @ Sat, 2004-12-11 @ 10:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've been told and have read in numerous places that you should never buy a used laptop.  The logic being that it's such a large purchase, and notebooks are more difficult/expensive to repair, that it's just not a good idea.[/b]
Typically, yes.

<!--QuoteBegin-Quadriflax
@Sat, 2004-12-11 @ 10:17 AM

Though if it comes straight from the company it would probably carry a warranty on it of some kind.[/quote]Yes, and this is all I meant (personally) by referring to used IBM hardware. Of course you can get it cheaper elsewhere. But if you can live with Win2k, there are a couple of pretty good deals on IBM's website for refurbished units.

If you're set on new and you don't care about the extras, you can configure a Dell Inspiron 1150 to be pretty affordable. Like $728 for a pretty basic unit. They're not too big either. The default warranty sucks though, and you have to pay for better.

Edit: If you want to play around with it, make sure you go through their small business section. It costs less.

I actually just got an older iBook (last year's model). Normally I wouldn't use it but it seems to work great for my web work. Not to mention I can play ScummVM and some emu's perfectly on it, Sam & Max is great as it ever was. The only downside is it doesnt have built in wireless like the newer models, anyone have a Airport Express card for sale? :)

Back