Official Swap Trick Support Thread

well its a crappy pic... but you see that thing my arrow is pointing at? its a switch, tape it down!

swapmod.jpg

Another question, If I used the swap trick with the Saturn Satelite or action replay would I be be able to play Import backups?

Although I'm sure its been covered before, I've found that different certain original Saturn games lend themselves to be easier to use in the Swap Trick than others.

For example, I was able to perform the swap trick successfully on my second try using the extended swap method, (boot with CDr until audio tracks are recognized, then reset and swap) usind disc one of the game "D" on a model 2 Saturn.

I've never had any success swapping using NiGHTS as on original, but I really only tried less than 5 timesm cos it kinda hurts knowing that you're damaging the motor each time you swap....

BTW, I was able to run a back up of Radiant Sivergun using the swap trick WITHOUT an import cart but I'm not 100% sure that it was an unpatched image.

I'll take a look at the Saturn header to verify the country code to see if has been changed to run on an NTSC-U Saturn

Hi.

It's been a while since I visited this great site. A year ago I posted some info about an easy mod that makes disk-swapping a lot easier and less destructive. But I notice that it hasn't gotten the attention that it deseves.

I have now taken a couple of better images and made a small video to show how great this mod works.

[attachmentid=1289]

[attachmentid=1290]

[attachmentid=1293]

And you don't have to worry about killing the motor for the lens... or anything else for that matter. Because the power is cut while you do the swap. I have used this mod for a little more than a year and it works perfectly every single time...

The original post can be found here:

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=9740

As you can see in the video, the switch I use is just taped on top of my Saturn... I don't want to drill a hole... But ofcourse you can make the switch look much nicer than that.

Hm.. maybe I should mention that my Saturn is a Model 1 with modelnr:MK-80200-50.

Ofcourse I do not take responsibility for any harm that you may cause to your Saturn if you try this.... But it sure is worth a try..

I had some problems attaching the video... I had to rename it.. If it doesn't work try to save it and rename it to "swap.avi"... its coded with ffdshow xvid...

Attachments

• wire1.JPG
    wire1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 688
  • wire1.JPG
    wire1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 688
  • wire2.JPG
    wire2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 590
  • wire2.JPG
    wire2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 562
  • swap.avi.mpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 851
  • swap.avi.mpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 828
  • wire1.JPG
    wire1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 669
  • wire1.JPG
    wire1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 657
  • wire2.JPG
    wire2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 571
  • wire2.JPG
    wire2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 566
  • swap.avi.mpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 836
  • swap.avi.mpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 818
Ah, I've been having a little trouble with the swap trick on my Model 1 PAL Saturn recently... Not because it's particularly difficult, I can pull it off most everytime, but all of my backups save Radiant Silvergun halt on the 'Sega' screen. This occurs regardless of whether they are correctly patched to Europe, and only Radiant Silvergun seems to be spared from said problem (despite it allegedly being patched to US... o_O Or so sayeth satconv...). All the backups, including Silvergun, were burned at the same speed, with the same program and the same CD burner. I've tried several different original games as bootdisks, and none seem to help. Originals play fine on my Saturn, as does the aforementioned Radiant Silvergun. I'd conclude that either my CD drive or my Saturn was buggered up were it not for the fact that Radiant Silvergun works just fine. I'm kind of puzzled...

So yeah, I'm somewhat at my wits end and sick and tired of making coasters, but since Model 1 Saturns aren't really moddable, there's not really much else I can do as far as backups are concerned... So I came here ^_^ Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

The behavior you describe seems consistent with swapping from the original to the CD-R too late. Your original needs to be out of the drive before the pickup has finished returning to the center.

If you can't do the swap trick. Try opening the lid up and do the swap trick by seeing the lens move. when you see the lens move to the back put the real game in , then when goes back to the center put the backup in.

I could never do the swap trick until i have to cover open cause i could never time it right. ( i couldn't heard the sound of the motor to well cause i'm little deaf..)

So try this trick.

I don't think you stop the motor long enough to kill it. A forcefully- halted motort draws lot of watts, and begens to heat up and that's what COULD cause damage. It'll take awile of holding it still for that to happen, because the moter has very little torque. And, with a saturn, it seams as thought the motor cuts out if it's stopped forcefull, likely to prevent damage to the system :lol: and, assuming you don't drag the disc over the laser, ther's no way in hell the swap trick would damage it :banana

Back