OH HELL YEAH! YES YES YES! FINALLY!

Originally posted by mal+Nov 4, 2003 @ 11:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Nov 4, 2003 @ 11:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121@Nov 5, 2003 @ 01:39 PM

And yes, that REALLY is Locke. He never comes to SX anymore (although I keep telling him to come back) though.

Kick his arse back here already! 😀

BTW Cloud, that mac is very 😎 [/b][/quote]

Thanks mal! I keep trying to get him to come back. Perhaps he can help me show Gallstaff how superior the Mac is and we Mac users! :lol: 😀 😛 :bow :cheers :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Cloud121@Nov 5, 2003 @ 08:58 PM

Well.. . I read that in order to get it to recognize it. I'll need to Format it in DOS first. Then, put it in the Mac, boot from the Jaguar Install disc, and then format it with Jaguar. You think that'd work?

It should recognize it without the DOS step; however, the Revision 1 (or is it A) G3s have a very flaky IDE controller. I tried sticking an 16 or 17GB drive on the secondary channel, and the thing won't boot at all. The Open Firmware console comes up. I've also had a hard time getting Panther to recognize it as a bootable drive at all (though it will recognize the disk and let me format it).

Originally posted by Cloud121@Nov 4, 2003 @ 09:39 PM

That's a great setup! Compare it to my current Mac:

Current: 133 MHZ, 96 MB RAM, CD-ROM, Ethernet, 2 - 4 MB VRAM

New: 350 MHZ, 384 MB RAM, Combo Drive, Ethernet, 16 MB VRAM

Keep in mind, I'm only getting this to hold me over until I can get a much more powerful one in about a year and a half. And yes, that REALLY is Locke. He never comes to SX anymore (although I keep telling him to come back) though.

The Blue & White model G3 was first introduced in January 1999.

Seven years ago I had a Pentium MMX 233MHz with 32MB RAM and an S3 Trio64V2... which I upgraded to 160MB and a 12MB Voodoo2 (no AGP slot).

~3-4 years ago I replaced that with an 800MHz Pentium III with that same Voodoo2 and a new 2D-only graphics card, plus 128MB DRDRAM.

My comp is still more powerful than that 'amazing' Mac you just got.... and incidentally, it was introduced, according to your date, only a tiny amount of time before I got my P3 system.

I now have 256MB RAM and a Radeon 9500 Pro. $20 say everything other than video editing would have my obsolescent comp destroy yours, including stability tests.

Then again, you're upgrading from a complete shit old mac to a not quite so shit newer mac, so I guess that's a good enough upgrade.

Can we get over the Mac love here? I'm not totally anti-Mac, but dammit, your obsession is pathetic. Macs have their place: Video and image editing. It should stay there.

quit harrasing him.

it's a respectible machine.

who cares if yours is better.

let him enjoy his new purchase

if he's happy, that's all that matters.

Cloud does obsess, but you just have to put up with it.

(Although, Cloud you could tone it down some)

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Nov 6, 2003 @ 09:56 PM

Can we get over the Mac love here? I'm not totally anti-Mac, but dammit, your obsession is pathetic. Macs have their place: Video and image editing. It should stay there.

I.... I love you :blush:

Finally someone who gets it

Tagrineth was a little agressive, but I couldn't disagree. I'd say that it all comes down to money. Macs don't "hold their value". They just cost more than they're worth.

BUT, it is his money. Its still a step up from what he had, and he's happy with his purchase. Nowadays pretty much all car purchases are based on emotion - not on logic. It doesn't matter if various respected sources say it is unreliable and very costly to own (just as an example of one logical reason to NOT buy it). That doesn't mean everyone, and it doesn't mean there's no logic involved, but the end purchase comes down to feelings.

So maybe what I'm getting at is this: it doesn't bother me at all, as long as he doesn't try to flaunt how wonderful his mac is *in comparison to PCs*. THAT, is perhaps the only real problem I have with Mac fanatics. So as long as he doesn't go off a an anti-PC rant, I'm happy for him.

no macs do hold their value better -- just because its a brand that has a following. Just try looking on eBay for a cube. But any Mac from the 2nd Jobs era has held value pretty well 'cause each model has a niche.

in a way it's kind of like Toyota and Honda cars here in CA. Lots of people here like them and their resale value is much higher than, say a Chevy or Ford (substitute Dell or IBM here)

This is how it'll be once I upgrade that G3 (around February or so)

G4 500 MHZ (that's the best G4 upgrade I can give it. I think... maybe I can find one faster. Doubt it though).

64 MB VRAM (depends if the Radeon 7000 PCI is compatible or not. If not, I'll just go with the 32 MB Model)

640 MB RAM

30 - 60 GB HDD

It'll be a pretty smooth machine. And once I get Panther.... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm just about ready to kill Gallstaff.... :angry:

I'm all happy because I finally got a newer/more current Mac. I can actually upgrade this thing in more ways than two, and that punk has to ruin my celebration by saying shit like "That'll work more has a mitten warmer than a real computer" and "I'll be surprised if that thing even tells time," Hey Gallstaff, you never saw me get on you in your "Wintel Machine Help" threads did you? Just get the hell out of this thread. :rant :rant :rant

Originally posted by Cloud121@Nov 6, 2003 @ 11:23 PM

This is how it'll be once I upgrade that G3 (around February or so)

G4 500 MHZ (that's the best G4 upgrade I can give it. I think... maybe I can find one faster. Doubt it though).

64 MB VRAM (depends if the Radeon 7000 PCI is compatible or not. If not, I'll just go with the 32 MB Model)

640 MB RAM

30 - 60 GB HDD

It'll be a pretty smooth machine. And once I get Panther.... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm just about ready to kill Gallstaff.... :angry:

I'm all happy because I finally got a newer/more current Mac. I can actually upgrade this thing in more ways than two, and that punk has to ruin my celebration by saying shit like "That'll work more has a mitten warmer than a real computer" and "I'll be surprised if that thing even tells time," Hey Gallstaff, you never saw me get on you in your "Wintel Machine Help" threads did you? Just get the hell out of this thread. :rant :rant :rant

Hehe, it's funny cause you're angry

Cloud, I know you love macs and thats cool. However, maybe you could stop shoving it quite so hard down people's throats...

And to all the people giving Cloud grief, just cut him some slack.

I know he can get a little over enthusiastic in his love for all things Apple (and his hate for Sony - but that's for another time), but that's no reason to be shitting on him. If he is happy with his new machine, let him be. If you're happy with what you have, that's all the better.

I don't know why there's so much anger here these days...

Originally posted by mal@Nov 7, 2003 @ 12:32 AM

Cloud, I know you love macs and thats cool. However, maybe you could stop shoving it quite so hard down people's throats...

<snikt!>

I don't know why there's so much anger here these days...

There's anger because he always 'shoves it quite hard down peoples' throats' in any thread which discusses Windows or PC's in general. It's almost completely inevitable, and usually for the wrong (or at least, insanely prejudiced and ignorant of ACTUAL EVIDENCE) reasons.

Gah... Lately I've been feeling a bit behind the times with my Athlon XP 1700+ and 640 MB of PC133 SDRAM. I upgraded from a P3 700 when my motherboard died. It's not a bad machine, and it does all I need it to, so I'm happy with it. And I think that's the point I'm trying to make. As long as your machine does what it needs to, and does it well, then who cares how it compares to more current machines? When this machine gets too slow or I can't run the latest game I really want, then I'll upgrade (or, if, knock on wood, it should up and die on me again). It's like these people who keep buying the latest video cards. Why? The hell are you spending $300-$400 on the latest card? Doesn't something that's at least half that price pretty much do the same thing? Bah. Maybe it's me. Enjoy your new mac, cloud. And get a mouse with some more buttons while you're at it 😉

It's not just that but he is always shoving it down our throats.

And this little move pisses me off: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :bow :bow :bow

As long as your machine does what it needs to, and does it well, then who cares how it compares to more current machines?

I, for one, compared his new G3 "introduced in 1999" to my "1999-2000" PC and it still got mashed. I wasn't comparing anything current in my post at all. 🙂

It's like these people who keep buying the latest video cards. Why? The hell are you spending $300-$400 on the latest card? Doesn't something that's at least half that price pretty much do the same thing?

I chose the then-$177.75 Radeon 9500 Pro, however the then-~$350 9700 Pro was up to twice as fast in older DX7 and early DX8 games. i.e. there was a purpose at that time. Though right now, no, the difference is negligible.

And get a mouse with some more buttons while you're at it 😉

Mmm, I'd like to see even Cloud try to argue that 1 button mice are good.

Back