Old IBM Thinkpads

racketboy

Established Member
Right now I'm kind of testing the waters.

I have two older IBM Thinkpad laptops that I'm planning on parting with in the near future and was wondering if there is anyone here that would like to give them a new home.

One is a 266 Pentium MMX, 192MB (256 Max), 3GB HD, CDROM, USB

The other is a P133, 92MB (Maxed), 2GB HD, CDROM. This machine has a higher resolution screen. (don't kne the exact specs off the top of my head)

Here's the same model @ CompGeeks

They are both great machines and are in excellent condition for their age.

You can't go wrong with a Thinkpad.

Here's the prices I'm thinking about, but they are negotiable:

P266 - $190 plus shipping (Mal has this one claimed)

P133 - $150 plus shipping

I also have an offical IBM docking station for the older machine that I'll throw in for $10 plus the price of shipping (I have to ship it seperately since it's in MI).

I have run Win95 (on the oldest one), Win98, Win2K, and WinXP (on the newest) on the machines and they seem pretty compatible.

The 266 was my main machine for a number of years and was great for basic stuff and light graphic work. I've also ran NES, SNES, and Genesis emus with no problems.

The older one was my wife's main machine through college.

These would be nice for student on a budget.

If you're interested in more details, lemme know.

ha! "old" thinkpad.

I still use my "old" thinkpad 350.

Blazing fast 25Mhz 486/SL (No math coprocessor) and 300MB harddrive (I upgraded it from 130MB) and 20MB RAM (maxed)

It's currently running Debian Linux. :) I like squeezing different OSes on it. It was MULinux and it ran great, I think I'll put that back on it. . . . Or Win 3.11 :-D

No, sorry. Not for sale! ;-)

I've been using a p233 thinkpad for a while that belonged to my dad. The dvd-rom drive had slowly been dying. It is now running 2k advance server (great laptop OS huh?) because that's the only os cd I had that it would read well enough to install lmao. Other than that it's been a good laptop, we have a wireless NIC in it right now and it's kinda handy when I wanna go downstairs and read manga or something.

hehe yeah I almost put "older", but I figured somebody on here would rag on me. Ironic, huh?

Anway, if someone wants to make an offer thats fine.

These are really nice machines -- just trying to clear out some of my aging PC collection before my wife gets on my case more :)

I have an old toshiba 486 laying around. Can't really remember much about it except that I think it had 6MB of ram, and an 80MB hard drive lol. Screen was monochrome too lol. Used to use it for reading fan fics and stuff, but it died last year of a hard drive controller issue (as in complete failure lol). I suppose I should just trash it lol.

Geez, that reminds me of my ol' tandy i gave to my dad 2 years ago. He won't upgrade, 386, 2mb ram, i think it had 250 hd, have to see, maybe i can post a pic.

What's the model of the 266MMX? I was thinking of re-purchasing the Armada 4220T (oh, how i miss it so) but if this one strikes my fancy, I might just have to buy it from you.

And Tindo, what version of Debian are you running? I have a Toshiba Satellite w/ similar specs that I'm trying to find something to do with.

EDIT: Lehigh U finally killed my account. I guess i'm officially a college grad. :lol:

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Oct 23, 2003 @ 04:33 PM

What's the model of the 266MMX? I was thinking of re-purchasing the Armada 4220T (oh, how i miss it so) but if this one strikes my fancy, I might just have to buy it from you.

And Tindo, what version of Debian are you running? I have a Toshiba Satellite w/ similar specs that I'm trying to find something to do with.

EDIT: Lehigh U finally killed my account. I guess i'm officially a college grad. :lol:

Here's the best info I could find

Here's some more

IBM's site can be confusing sometimes.

I've been quite interested in getting a laptop for college.

I'm on a very tight budget, but I might be able to squeeze by.

There are also some video games, accessories, and a N64 that I could trade if we can work out something like $100 plus some games or something.

I'll wait for MTXBlau first, though, but for reference, I'd like the faster one, heh.

Originally posted by Lyzel@Oct 24, 2003 @ 12:55 AM

I too would be interested (266 one), but you are overpricing it a bit after I did some research on eBay.

even with the amount of RAM I have?

Most of the older laptops on eBay only have the base amount of RAM.

But like I said, I'm willing to negotiate.

BTW, I also have a laptop bag for each of them that I'll throw in for $10 each

Consider me out of the running. :( I ran the idea by my fiancee. After getting the death stare and the dramatic pause, I know this one isn't going to fly.

In any event, ratfish, I would recommend the machine highly - I love thinkpads (I already have two). It uses the MMC-1 standard chip, so that 1400 could be reasonably boosted up to a Celeron 400Mhz (if you're not afraid of disassembling the machine).

Good luck with the sales, racket.

thanks man

BTW, ratfish, I already have a n64 I'm looking to part with :)

I'm hoping to sell these two machines and get a slightly newer one (can't afford a brand new one)

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Oct 24, 2003 @ 12:24 PM

I ran the idea by my fiancee. After getting the death stare and the dramatic pause, I know this one isn't going to fly.

I know what that's like. :lol:

Originally posted by mal+Oct 24, 2003 @ 02:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Oct 24, 2003 @ 02:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau@Oct 24, 2003 @ 12:24 PM

I ran the idea by my fiancee. After getting the death stare and the dramatic pause, I know this one isn't going to fly.

I know what that's like. :lol: [/b][/quote]

sadly, me too

I almost got that look when I mentioned buying slightly newer machine to replace these

:D Hehe, I'm glad I'm not living with some one else, or something...oh whatever.

Teh 266 sounds good to me. Thanks for providing a link.

What type of shipping are you thinking about? I need to know how much I'm looking at here total.

For the USPS calculator, I'm at 98122.

I can do paypal or a money order if I must.

well I don't want to use UPS -- too many bad experiences.

I'll shop around though.

What timeframe are you looking at?

I'll have to do some preparation like backing up and wiping the drives, etc.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Oct 23, 2003 @ 12:33 PM

It's the current "Woody" distro. If you have a network card you can easily boot from floppies and download the rest over the network/internet.

You can get the floppies on this (and many more) FTP:

ftp.us.debian.org

in:

/debian/dists/woody/main/

Mind you I only have a base insall, forget about a GUI.

I would really recommend MUlinux if you want a GUI on a slow machine. It's an awesome little distro.

http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/

Good luck with the Thinkpad ratfish, they are really great machines.

Originally posted by Tindo@heart@Oct 24, 2003 @ 03:37 PM

Good luck with the Thinkpad ratfish, they are really great machines.

Yeah actually I'm gonna be sad to see them go.

But hopefully another Thinkpad awaits me.

This is actually the first computer I'll ever part with other than a 386 I bought for $100 years ago and then sold after a year before I got my PII. (theres a jump for ya)

I've had so many memories with these machines.... :sigh

Originally posted by racketboy@Oct 23, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

well I don't want to use UPS -- too many bad experiences.

I'll shop around though.

What timeframe are you looking at?

I'll have to do some preparation like backing up and wiping the drives, etc.

Take as much time as you need wiping and preping the machine and looking for good shipping, I'm in no hurry.

I'm going to try to convince my parents to pay for half of this since I'll be using it for school work.

I forgot to mention, I don't know if you're still interested, but if you want, here's some things that I can include in our transaction in place of some money (didn't know if you want just money or not):

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (PAL) complete

Fighting Vipers complete

Virtua Fighter Kids complete

Shining the Holy Ark complete

also, I have an extra model 1 Saturn with all cables and a controller

an extra Genny model 2 with cables and a controller, heh

Final Fantasy Tactics "Greatest Hits" and Incredible Crisis

Back