OMG! 20 pin Saturn!

Hello folks,

I just opened up my 'new' Saturn (bought it 5 days ago), model MK-80200-50 PAL. The white ribbon cable on the side has 20 pins!
sad.gif
Moreover, beneath the shielding I can see a rectangular IC! Damn and other curses thousandfold!

Any chance I can still mod this baby? I'd like to play backups as well preferably without the swap trick.

If you are certain that it has 20 pins, then there is almost no chance of finding a modboard for it. Boards advertised as "20/21 pin compatible" are false - the only commonly available ones are for 21 pin Saturns. Sorry.
sad.gif

darn. End of all hope? I heard there was some way to make 21 pin work on 20 pin (I've seen both pinouts); or is there any cart thing that makes imports possible?

Nope, sorry - there is no known way to modify a 21 pin board for a 20 pin Saturn. It was under investigation here for a while, but nothing positive has eventuated...yet. If it's just imports you wish to play (originals, not copies) then you need to use a device like the ST Key or the Action Replay.

I'm assuming, from the pin count, that you have a model 1 Saturn (oval power/reset buttons)? If this is the case, at least the swap trick (see the Miscellaneous section) should be easier to perform...

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan. 02 2003, 11:13 pm

Nope, sorry - there is no known way to modify a 21 pin board for a 20 pin Saturn. It was under investigation here for a while, but nothing positive has eventuated...yet

And it probably won't be any time soon. Not from me anyway.

I haven't tinkered with any of my Saturns in ages.
sad.gif

Well, if there's any Saturn-collector right here who wants to trade his 21 pin model (country doesn't matter) for my 20 pin... I'll throw in a PAL Megadrive I as well. Anyone?

Back