Opinion: Best 3d Fighter

I'd say graphically Last Bronx, but in terms of gameplay FMM. But's that's mainly as I suck at VF series and FV is made redundant by FMM.
smile.gif

Megamix was the best for me, followed by last bronx. What made Megamix so great for me was they hyper mode. And so much stuff to unlock. That was crazy gameplay.

Graphically I'd say D-Xhird.
Is it really that good? Toshinden URA which was released before D-Xhird by Takara did looked very good in its hi-res graphics and cool levels, however, D-Xhird doesn´t looks as good on screenshots. (I haven´t played it). What do you say? Is it better?

I would say the best Saturn-fighters are VF2, FMM, DOA and Last Bronx.

Screenshots don't do the game full justice. There are areas that need work but consider this, what other 3D fighting game does all that D-Xhird does graphically? It deserves props for that.

You can tell they had to cut corners to achieve it. Characters are very low poly, basically blocks with good texturing, up to a point. From a distance the texturing does its job but get to close or view them at some angle other than the standard sideview and texturing won't hide that they're nothing but thin blocks. But the same flaw could be said of VF 2, except it was much bigger blocks. The character texturing is very pixelly when viewed up close. I'm no expert but it might be low-res and I think someone once said the game is only runs at 30 fps.

A big downside is the pixelly or solid weapon projectile effects. They weren't designed well, such as Lucifer's wall of fire or Venus' trident ground blasts. Some look alright, like Sabrina's or Eiji's projectiles or 2 of 3 of Izanagi's projectile volley.

Some weapon trailing edges should have used different colors, such as Boy, but other than that weapon trailing here is superior to that in Last Bronx.

A lot of levels on URA could have used work, especially the FV background engine they used on it. It was never synched for perspective. D-Xhird fixes that problem. Perspective shifts downwards only though. Some backgrounds on D-Xhird could have used some more work, such as Sabrina's stage. The sky should be colored black rather than brown. Some stages are fairly dull, like Schnieder or Karen's but there are better looking levels. Sanjuroh's stage background reminds me of URA's Verm stage. Boy's stage has nice looking scrolling clouds, some rain effects. Saotome's stage is pretty unique and seemingly fitting for the character, transparent shapes scrolling around. Kohjin's stage uses a transparent cloth for its walled arena. Venus stage is bit too bright with the purple. Izanagi's stage however is perhaps the most impressive of all. The background is the Horsehead Nebula, pretty nice effect goes on here, with the nebula gas. Asteroids also just fly by the stage. They start from the distance and then decrease in size after they go off on thier merry way. Eiji's stage is very colorful and pretty. You see transparent clounds circle the tower of Babel through the windows.

There's even a extra stage, Ice or soemthing where the match takes place in an enclosed ice arena. Layers of transparencies can occur here if you angle things right. Tilt the view so you can view through two ice walls, at the angle they meet, and look at the ice mist, even the extra ice ceiling, if you can angle it right. It works without glitching or dissappearing sub-layers.

There's even a trick ot get Karen't to have a transparent skirt, which uses some type of effect to achieve, though nothing major.

You need to play through the game to notice some of the effects used per stage. Not a whole lot per stage but when you take them into account collectively...

Almost forgot, light sourcing is a plus but downside of it is the characters having to have cruddy looking FV style transparent effects for shadows.

Originally posted by E Nice@Jul 22, 2003 @ 05:54 AM

I'm no expert but it might be low-res and I think someone once said the game is only runs at 30 fps.

VF2 most definately runs at 60fps... or 50 in PAL of course...

But I must admit I've never played D-Xhird... I remember it getting terrible reviews, in the 20% region, some even saying it to be as bad as Fight for Life on Jaguar...

But what you say does intrigue me, I think I'll check it out
happy.gif

I meant D-Xhird's texturing being being low-res and running at 30fps.

It isn't one of the best 3D fighters but it isn't that bad. At least has some semblence of AI, unlike Tsd URA. It's just all of what Takara tried to do with the new fighting engine didn't pan out as hoped. Like Toshinden games before it, you can button mash you're way through it, so long as you don't play as Schneider bacasue it then gets a lot more difficult to try to do to his moves. Almost anyone can pick up Toshinden and play but D-Xhird is less friendly. True to Takara style, button responsiveness is sluggish and directional imput is a lot pickier.

fighter megamix was realll nice.... Vf2 is sweet, but recently I was playing Last Bronx, and I think thats a sweet game, that doesn't get much hype... That game was nice... still though, FM is my top choice, also VF kids was a cool addition.

:agree

The first game I ever played on Saturn was Megamix. But that's not what got me to buy the Saturn. VF2 was what got me to buy the Saturn. Before I got my Saturn, I must've pumped well over $20 or so into the VF2 machine at my arcade, owning everybody with Sarah using my skills I got from the MegaDrive version of the game.

I voted FMM. VF vs FV. Plus, it's as close as we're all gonna get to VF3 on Saturn (Sarah has all her VF3 moves besides her evasion only ones. So she's really only missing three or four moves).

Outside of VF4/Evolution/Final Tuned, FMM is the best fighting game ever.

I love Dead or Alive though. Since it runs off a modified VF engine. Seems just a BIT too button masher friendly though. Then again, I think I recall Des saying they fixed that in DOA3.

As of this day, I still have NEVER played DOA3... :( I play DOA2 on DC almost as much as I play VF. Although DOA is really just for fun (Jann-Lee owns you!) VF is all business!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 25, 2004 @ 02:26 AM

Before I got my Saturn, I must've pumped well over $20 or so into the VF2 machine at my arcade, owning everybody with Sarah using my skills I got from the MegaDrive version of the game.

:lol: though I suppose it is possible dependent on several reasons/factors. :huh

I think E Nice was just expressing surprise at the fact that Cloud was able to transfer his skills from the Genesis version of VF2 over to the arcade, since they are very different.

Back