Organizing music across a couple computers

Does anyone know of a good way to keep track of albums stored on two computers? I don't want to keep music stored on just one drive or the other. I'd like to be able to see from either computer a full database of the albums available on the network.

Is there such a program or a method for cataloging albums like this?

I think iTunes could do that.

I just started to use it to organize music.

I have all mine one one drive, but I think you can keep track of directories from all over.

Yup. I have all my mp3s on my Linux machine, but my Mac downstairs can access all of them through iTunes. The only thing you have to do is uncheck the 'copy files to music folder' box... if you do that, iTunes will just make a link to the files and put the track info in its database. This can cause it to become confused if files are moved or deleted, but in that case when you try to play that file, it will just ask you if you want to locate it. You can also remove the database entry if you want, of course.

Yeah, my main concern with iTunes its inablitiy to dynamically update it's database when you add/delete files -- like Picassa does with my photos

That's true, but it's quite easy to add them manually. And, of course, if you're ripping your own CDs, iTunes will do that for you automatically.

Is it possible to keep the database on one machine and have each installation of iTunes access that same database, for consistency?

Edit: I have it working. Thanks for the reccomendation, guys.

So the sharing wasn't a problem?

I'm planning on doing this same thing eventually.

I'm just not sure if my laptop will run iTunes very well.

No, the sharing is pretty much flawless. All you have to do is use one computer to create the main library, then enable sharing in Prefrences.

In fact, a laptop is what I used to remotely access the library. But that is a 2.8ghz laptop.

Back