Panzer Dragoon Gaiden for Saturn on Kickstarter !

vbt

Staff member
photo-original.png

The Panzer Dragoon Gaiden project is a third party video game action rpg being developed for use with the Sega Saturn.This is a fan-made continuation of the Panzer Dragoon saga, combining elements of all three Panzer Dragoon games into a new bold experience.

Being developed specifically for use with the Sega Saturn, Panzer Dragoon Gaiden will bring an old beloved series out of retirement without straying too far from original concepts and mechanics that made the series so unforgettable.

Kickstarter link :

This sounds exciting.

Though as of now, I'm very... skeptical.

If the money raised is being used for the rights, wouldn't it have been better, prior to starting the KS, to have already some valid screenshot to prove that the team is capable of producing a game on par with PDS?

Where are the textures? Models? Simple demos running on the Saturn? What are the team's credentials?

We're supposed to take this on faith and just hope after the goal has been met, that the team will produce a full 3D Saturn game?

I just realized that 6 days have passed. Yeah, not very good. I thought that this was day 1.

This is not how you run a KS.

well, it's first time i see a saturn game KS, the budget looks really low to make a new PDS.
we will see if the author adds more comments and updates.

Looks like KS trolling to me.

I'll keep my wallet safely tucked away thanks.

Why not make use of the funds towards a game in spirit of PDS instead of the money towards obtaining the actual rights.
Looks like KS trolling to me.

I'll keep my wallet safely tucked away thanks.

Exactly. After reading the FAQ, it just screams scam.

vbt, how did you find this?

There's no effort made to make the project look even halfway credible, so I'd me more inclined to believe it's just some kid with a pipedream fantasy than an outright scam. You see them every once in a while, and there's been more than one thread even on this forum started by someone who's just bought an old Saturn devkit and thinks that's all it takes to make cool games. Now they just have a platform to start selling their games before they're even started.

There's no effort made to make the project look even halfway credible, so I'd me more inclined to believe it's just some kid with a pipedream fantasy than an outright scam. You see them every once in a while, and there's been more than one thread even on this forum started by someone who's just bought an old Saturn devkit and thinks that's all it takes to make cool games. Now they just have a platform to start selling their games before they're even started.

I completely agree. Just looking at the credits for the game, you begin to realize just how absolutely absurd the KS is.

If it's a kid, I can just let this go. At least they're thinking about making games. You see a lot of those threads everywhere. It always starts out by looking for programmers. There's an awesome thread of a guy recruiting people to make a SNES game on the ASSEMbler forums.

This also reminds me of someone years ago, wanting to make a FF VII clone on the Saturn.

I sent the guy some questions, here's what he replied.
1. Who are you?
Toronto based film maker/graphic artist/conceptual designer named Mark
2. Do you have any development experience?
Yes I have worked on concept designs and world building for small Canadian film & animated productions
3. Do you have any game development experience?
Yes several of us have worked on a homebrew mod for Panzer Dragoon Saga that altered the gameplay and enemies health/damage
4. Do you have any Saturn development experience?
Yes we have an experience Saturn homebrew developer working with us
5. Do you have a budget, business plan or timetable?
We were planning to breach our target goal to allow the project to see completion
6. Are there more people involved, or is it just you?
We have a small office and a team of 7 people
7. Have you actually been in contact with Sega regarding licensing?
Not yet since not enough interest in the project has been generated.

#5 doesn't actually answer the question at all. Sounds like they're going to figure things out after the fact they obtain the money.

That's not going to happen.

I'd be less skeptical if the KS wasn't so barren and it was a game in spirit to the Panzer Dragoon series and not attempting to use Sega's IP.

for 5k$ they will do a mod of pds as they are able to do that :) Maybe the canadian developer is Amon :rolling eyes:

Also remember that Kickstarter, the payments processor and the taxman all take their cut of the money, and producing and shipping backer rewards isn't free either. And apparently the actual development work isn't going to require any money.

Also remember that Kickstarter, the payments processor and the taxman all take their cut of the money, and producing and shipping backer rewards isn't free either. And apparently the actual development work isn't going to require any money.

They're probably going to make another KS for that...

and thanks Antime for the "interview", if they really want to success they should update the KS, thow the team, the target, make a simple video, or instance tower 57 () has 25 updates and it will reach target with some difficulties.

Back