Sega Saturn Patcher

Sega Saturn Patcher Discussion Thread 1.91 BETA

Give SSP v1.95 a try, it's included with the Wachenröder entry in the Sega Saturn 27th Anniversary Game Competition:
https://segaxtreme.net/threads/sega-saturn-27th-anniversary-game-competition.25009/post-182099
Well a little journey there but success it seems in the end. Thanks for the recommendation privateye.

Attempt 1 - patching the translated SF3 scenario 1 disk with the difficulty patch. 1.95 completed successfully... only the BIN file was significantly smaller than expected so 99% of data had been lost.

Attempt 2 - apply the difficulty patch to my original iso image of the disk (made with magiciso iirc) and was essentially untouched. 1.95 tries but then crashes.

Attempt 3 - apply the difficulty patch to the same iso image now mounted (via elby clonedrive) as a virtual drive. This is the version that succeeded and left me with patched BIN/CUE files that the translation patcher could patch with.

For the record I tried to recreate attempt 3 with v1.91 of the patcher but that also crashed the patcher. I'm not sure if the above is helpful to anyone but I thought it worth documenting.

KnightOfDragon I continue to be super impressed with your skills, many thanks.

Well a little journey there but success it seems in the end. Thanks for the recommendation privateye.

Attempt 1 - patching the translated SF3 scenario 1 disk with the difficulty patch. 1.95 completed successfully... only the BIN file was significantly smaller than expected so 99% of data had been lost.

Attempt 2 - apply the difficulty patch to my original iso image of the disk (made with magiciso iirc) and was essentially untouched. 1.95 tries but then crashes.

Attempt 3 - apply the difficulty patch to the same iso image now mounted (via elby clonedrive) as a virtual drive. This is the version that succeeded and left me with patched BIN/CUE files that the translation patcher could patch with.

For the record I tried to recreate attempt 3 with v1.91 of the patcher but that also crashed the patcher. I'm not sure if the above is helpful to anyone but I thought it worth documenting.

KnightOfDragon I continue to be super impressed with your skills, many thanks.
I would recommend joining the Shining Force 3 discord with these questions. RikaPSO should be the creator of that mod.

Hi,

I tried to apply the region free patch to Virtua Fighter Remix (USA version), but the resulting image can't boot on any emulator (Yabause, SSF, Kronos) nor on a modchipped Saturn.
The same source image worked with Sega Saturn Patcher v3.0 Gold Edition, although I could just patch it to one region.
Tried with SSP 1.91 and 1.95. Knight0fDragon, could this be related to the number of area codes you can put on an image?

Thanks in advance

Not every game can be made Region Free. It depends entirely on what all is done in IP.BIN. Grandia for example uses almost all of the IP.BIN area to have a lot of commonly used code and functions that the game regularly references. If you try to make it region free it can end up causing problems if the additional region data spills into additional code in IP.BIN. I don't know much about Virtua Fighter Remix, but it could be a similar situation.

Unless you need to play this game on multiple different region Saturns, just use the Region Patcher to patch it to the region of your Saturn.

Not every game can be made Region Free. It depends entirely on what all is done in IP.BIN. Grandia for example uses almost all of the IP.BIN area to have a lot of commonly used code and functions that the game regularly references. If you try to make it region free it can end up causing problems if the additional region data spills into additional code in IP.BIN. I don't know much about Virtua Fighter Remix, but it could be a similar situation.

Unless you need to play this game on multiple different region Saturns, just use the Region Patcher to patch it to the region of your Saturn.
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I did in the end :)

Would it be possible in SSP to let the user choose the regions from a limited number of options based in IP.BIN? Pretty much as the Region Patcher does.

In my case I have a 60hz modded pal and a japanese model 1. So I would love to be able to choose those 2

Cheers

My region patcher does allow for all regions to be added, there is no reason to select distinct regions. What Trekkies is talking about does not apply to my tool. The public betas region patching is broken, the offset is wrong by 16 bytes. I already have this issue fixed on my end.

My region patcher does allow for all regions to be added, there is no reason to select distinct regions. What Trekkies is talking about does not apply to my tool. The public betas region patching is broken, the offset is wrong by 16 bytes. I already have this issue fixed on my end.
When will the next version be released?

Hello Knight0fDragon!

I'm trying to create a new patch for Shinobi-X (Europe) (Redump verified image) with SSP 1.91 BETA and every time I build an image from my patch, it generates 1 extra audio track.
I really don't know what is going on.
I also tried to generate an image without a patch (vanilla Shinobi-X image) and it also added an extra track. The extra track contains the same audio as the first audio track.
I tried building an image without multitrack (only bin/cue) and with multitrack (bin/cue and tracks) and I got the same results.
Is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.
My best regards.

Hi,

Found another potential bug using v1.91 beta. Whilst patching the regions for Daytona Championship Edition (USA version), the built image had double number of tracks.

Now the patcher is working here, on Windows 7!
Just install the SDK 5 again and 6 too.

Running it again, worked flawlessly in 2 tries.

Thank you very much!

Hello, first off, thank you for taking time to code this. I was able to patch Dracula X. Unfortunately I am unable to patch other games like Asuka 120% and Policenauts. I am receiving the following error using versions V.1.91 and 1.3. Please help, thank you.

The following is the code for the CUE file I am using for Asuka:

CATALOG 0000000000000
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 01).bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 02).bin" BINARY
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 00 00:00:00
INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 03).bin" BINARY
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:01:74
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 04).bin" BINARY
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 05).bin" BINARY
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 06).bin" BINARY
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 07).bin" BINARY
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 08).bin" BINARY
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 09).bin" BINARY
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 10).bin" BINARY
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 11).bin" BINARY
TRACK 11 AUDIO
FILE "Asuka 120% Limited - Burning Fest. Limited (Japan) (Track 12).bin" BINARY
TRACK 12 AUDIO

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 108
Hello, first off, thank you for taking time to code this. I was able to patch Dracula X. Unfortunately I am unable to patch other games like Asuka 120% and Policenauts. I am receiving the following error using versions V.1.91 and 1.3. Please help, thank you.
Please check the bottom of the Reddit post for the solution ;)

Please check the bottom of the Reddit post for the solution ;)
Thanks, I was able to find that Reddit post you were referring to. For future reference if anyone else has this issue the TLDR is you need to use the updated version of the patcher located here: Link.

Hi, I find myself stuck with the patcher. Let me explain.
I modified the game DARIUS 2 so that it can be played entirely in French, a single file of 700KB.
I created the patch so that it can be applied to PAL, NTSC-J and NTSC-U versions. The basic iso is about 400mb, once the patch is applied, the iso is doubled, I no longer have the music that works why? I have a problem as soon as I want to modify games with CDA tracks, this one contains 17, is there a manipulation that I miss?
Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Hi, I find myself stuck with the patcher. Let me explain.
I modified the game DARIUS 2 so that it can be played entirely in French, a single file of 700KB.
I created the patch so that it can be applied to PAL, NTSC-J and NTSC-U versions. The basic iso is about 400mb, once the patch is applied, the iso is doubled, I no longer have the music that works why? I have a problem as soon as I want to modify games with CDA tracks, this one contains 17, is there a manipulation that I miss?
Thanks for your feedback.
are you using 1.3?

the other issue is any game with 10 or more audio tracks will screw up because of how files are ordered

Hi,
Problems are often with games with lots of audio.
With the team we have problems with Darius 2 (17 track), Tomb raider (56 track)

(track multiplication. Sort of audio tracks)

There are also problems with my FMV translations (phantasmagoria, frankeinstein) Many files are translated.

(sometimes more than 400 files)

The patcher Loses files.

Some files are missing.

It deletes them on its own.

It's not a reproach,

This is a bug return.

But you will manage to settle all this as you go along.

Best regard

kitchen

Back