Phantom Console to be unveiled at CES

Cloud121

Established Member
Yo! I was checking out GameFAQs earlier today, and found this link in the headlines. Since I couldn't find the old "Too Good To Be True" topic, I decided to start this one. From GameSpot:

Phantom unveiling at CES

Infinium Labs announces that its Phantom Gaming Service will be unveiled to the public at the Consumer Electronics Show this week.

Infinium Labs has today announced that its elusive Phantom Gaming Service will be unveiled to the public at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which gets under way on January 8. The Phantom will be a featured product at the Microsoft Windows Embedded Device Showcase exhibit and will also be shown during a special gaming session on the first day of the show.

"We're very excited to be showing the Phantom Gaming Service for the first time at North America's largest trade show," said Timothy Roberts, CEO of Infinium Labs. "This show gives us the unique opportunity to present the Phantom firsthand to both consumers and industry insiders."

We'll bring you more information on the Phantom as soon as it becomes available.

I wonder what exactly it is they will be showing?

Hm well this'll be interesting. We'll just have to see if this thing is as big a flop as we all anticipate

well these idiots apparently had a 'press conference' a while back, and were supposed to show off some of the PhanDUMB's capabilities, but they kept beatin around the bush, and never showed anything other than a phantom box with an 'on' light.

Also, they kept going around the questions they were asked.

Ill believe it when I see it for sale at wal-mart.

And if it indeed is real... i smell Nokia N-Gage all over again.

I dont get why it runs XP why not 2K or XP PRO. Those are the only two versions of windows worth running IMO

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jan 7, 2004 @ 07:37 PM

I dont get why it runs XP why not 2K or XP PRO. Those are the only two versions of windows worth running IMO

XP Pro has more options wrt file permissions, and multiprocessor support.

Why the fuck should they spend extra when XP Home will work EXACTLY THE SAME WAY?

why the f*ck would they use a consumer version of windows anyway? The system isn't gonna be used as a full-fledged PC is it?

The Phantom materializes

Infinium's long-awaited PC game console finally shows itself at CES. First actual photographs inside.

After months of speculation and occasional derision, Infinium Labs has finally unveiled their Phantom PC game console at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Although the presenters never actually turned the machine on, they did display the first physical example of the console for the press to ogle.

The sample Phantom looked much like its concept art, a sleek if not ideally stackable package, with the now-infamous Viking-helmet logo on the front and an impressive array of video, audio, and data connections in the back. Visible were: optical, coax, and RCA audio outputs; S-video, composite, and component video outputs; and 4 USB ports, a 10/100 LAN line, and a cable modem input.

Once rumored to be an elaborate hoax, the Phantom promises to be a "new way to deliver content," according to Infinium Labs. When it eventually becomes available, the console will support regular PC gaming on monitors or televisions, as well as a proposed online game rental service via an "always on" broadband device. The Phantom's proposed technical specs and more information on its capabilities are available on its official Web site, Phantom.net.

Article and Pictures Here

Jebus and people complain the Xbox is huge. That thing is a monster.

Oh and I'm sure people are gonna love the whole buy it in a store but really wait a week while they mail it to you deal.

they never turned it on, there is no way to know if that thing they displayed is even an actual phantom system.

fun fact: someone posted detailed proof that the guy running phantom has pulled shit before, like getting up some business idea, taking lots of money from sponsors, and then disappearing "cause it wasn't doable".

phantom is a scam.

Originally posted by Arakon@Jan 9, 2004 @ 09:15 PM

fun fact: someone posted detailed proof that the guy running phantom has pulled shit before, like getting up some business idea, taking lots of money from sponsors, and then disappearing "cause it wasn't doable".

phantom is a scam.

I've heard that too

Did anyone else notice this, but whats up with the power connector on that thing?

Like they need 20 pins to provide power.

Why not use an industry standard AC power cord like most PC's use, or some AC power cord like the PS2 uses.....

Back