Too Good To Be True

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Jan. 22 2003, 9:44 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Jan. 22 2003, 9:44 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well that's stupid...

...I'm not going to make inferences on the life and longevity of a system on the basis of one press release.[/b]

true, and the fact that i was deprived of sleep and food for 2 days may have played a role in my baised judgement. thanks for a slap back into reality, mtxblau.

<!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau
@Jan. 22 2003, 9:44 pm

It's not microsoft, so what's the rationale for this nonsense? Because it's not Nintendo? Or Sega? or *gasp* Sony?[/quote]

i'm really not opposed to console manufacturer names either (being a sega fanboy to a moderate extent). i guess i'm just afraid of change and the whole console race is just too fast paced for me. oh well, if theres ever a good system on the market, i might consider buying it. so i guess i'll just have wait and see.

Originally posted by g8crapachino@Jan. 23 2003, 1:19 am

...for a console that hasn't been released yet and nobody knew about, how could it possible have that many titles?

Maybe they're really shitty games like "press any button to win," after which it displays "WINNER" and changes background colors.

This thing has to be a fake. It just has to be. If it's not, I'll eat my hat.

If it emulates all these other consoles, then by compiling the games that it emulates you will have the games that it plays, so assuming that it does emulate all these consoles, that factor is not too far off most likely.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Jan. 24 2003, 10:45 am

This thing has to be a fake. It just has to be. If it's not, I'll eat my hat.

I'll hold you to that....

The reason behind my scepticism is due to the supposed concept. The console market isn't what it used to be, when the PC simply couldn't compete with the power of the original PlayStation. Now, a console has to offer something special for it to make any impact on the market - something like exclusive content (PS2), or advanced graphics (Xbox, GC). If this new "console" is just a stripped down PC-in-a-box that uses a TV instead of a monitor for display, then it offers nothing the PC market doesn't already offer. Any fool with a bit of cash can buy a graphics card with a TV output and play their games on the big screen. Unless the device is offered at an extremely competitive price (e.g. $99USD), then nobody with a halfway decent PC is going to bother buying it.

Another thing to consider is how well it'll play the latest games? Will it run UT 2k3? Battlefield 1942? Doom 3? As i say, unless it offers some degree of "future proofing" what would be the point? If it is "future proof" (i.e. high specs), how could they offer it at a competitive price? They won't have an easy time generating revenue through software sales if it offers PC compatability and exclusive downloadable content.

All speculation, of course.
smile.gif

That "interview" at HomeLAN sounds almost like they didn't have a real interview at all. It sounds like the responses were fabricated by them by using information from Infinium Labs' homepage. Maybe it's just me. ???

Well it looks like even Penny Arcade picked up on the phantom and they too are saying what a crock of shit it is and I guess what i'm gathering from the internet is that no one really knows WHAT to make of this thing. I mean it's so veague and if you look at the picture, for all we know it's a dell tipped on it's side with a usb controller. Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if it was a black box with a smaller pc inside it and a tv out card...

I'm feeling dejavu. Wasn't there a hoax similar to this sometime between the release of the Dreamcast and the PS2? Just as the Xbox and Dolphin were generating excitement, a site popped up and some "interviews" got published, all for a hoax? If I recall, that hoax was figured out when people realized that the controler in the picture was a Mad Catz controler for PC.

Originally posted by SegaFreak@Jan. 24 2003, 3:14 am

That "interview" at HomeLAN sounds almost like they didn't have a real interview at all. It sounds like the responses were fabricated by them by using information from Infinium Labs' homepage. Maybe it's just me. ???

Hehe, I thought the same thing, the responses seem very artificial
sarcasm.gif

And the console itself... a cheesy render. Come on boys, you can do better than that!

only thing that will realy answer if this is a fake or not is to follow thier event dates and see if there any buzz generated from that - if those events are real ive heared of a few of them but not all

More news:

It seems that the console or whatever it is will cost about 600-700 bucks
laugh.gif
and it won't have any CD/DVD drives because you'll have to download the games from Infinium's server (well, at least it's broadband, hehe). We'll have to wait for further news, boys and girls
smile.gif

for that much i can upgrade to a nice P4 why would i buy a console that is doomed to death becuz who wants to have to pay per play every time you have to clean your hard drive.

Heh, for that price I could get one helluva video card, top of the line cpu, and have some money left over for a couple games
biggrin.gif

That's outrageous. What kind of retarded monkeys do they have running the show? Someone should be smacked upside the head.

Might I ask where this news is from? You didn't cite any sources.

(Edit - is there a spell checker or something? Strange error...)

I was just watching G4 and they were saying that it is a hoax most definately. There is only one number for each department! Probably some guy name joe living in his parents basement watching babalon five is the receptionist.

Back