Planning a trip to Japan

Hi,

as part of my university studies i am planning a trip to Japan some time next year. (cause thats the only time i can get my travel allowance!). I want to stay over there for a fair while and hopefully go and see the Tokyo Game Show and well as AOU. I was just wondering where the best places to stay are for students over there. I wanted to stay for at least a month so accomodation has to be cheap. I still want to be on the main island though and not too far from the major cities.

I also wanted to buy a fair bit of stuff while i was over there,... Pioneer Laser Active, Atmark Pippin, FM Towns Mart etc. What would be the best way to bring all of that sort of stuff back with me so i dont get slugged by customs?

Cheers!

I also wanted to buy a fair bit of stuff while i was over there,... Pioneer Laser Active, Atmark Pippin, FM Towns Mart etc. What would be the best way to bring all of that sort of stuff back with me so i dont get slugged by customs?

Probably the best way would be to mail them back to yourself in Oz one system at a time. That way you'd have several (lots?) of low value packages which would pass by under the threshold easily rather than one larger, higher valued package that could get nabbed.

Mind you, when I got my Indy 500 board (model 2) sent from Japan it was valued at over US$500 and it got to me without any problems. :banana

I did study it for seven years when i was in school, but ever since i have started uni i havent really had much of chance to speak it anymor and have since lost the ability to. But im pretty shure that i will come back to me if i put in the effort before i go. However, i was not very good with reading kanji :(. It would be great if i could find somehwere where there were other english speakers though.

At my university i know that they plan trips to Japan all the time through the school of LOTE and Nursing, so it might be wise to tag along with one of those.

I was lucky that the primary school that i went to began teahing Japanese in grade 5. Then when i got to highscool, i took it up again from years eight to twelve.

It was the same here; depending on what school you went to affected what language you learnt. In primary school we learnt Latin (shitious maximus!) and Japanese. In high school we could either do Japanese or French (which comes in handy for Eurovision!)

Other schools in the area also did German, Chinese and Vietnamese if i can remember correctly.

Jeez, we only have Spanish and French at our highschool. There is really no point in taking either, because the teachers are too incompetant to teach anyone a new language. What did I learn in 3 years of Spanish?? I might be able to go down to Mexico and buy 1-29 tacos.

But back on topic; I'd do what mal said, send multiple packages to bring your stuff back. For a cheap place to stay, just find a sleezy hotel somewhere, or if you really want to go cheap, get one of those hotels where they stuff you in a drawer.

I'd love to go to Japan...can you get some Gore Flicks DVDs for me? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mountaindud+Jun 2, 2004 @ 04:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mountaindud @ Jun 2, 2004 @ 04:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>What did I learn in 3 years of Spanish?? I might be able to go down to Mexico and buy 1-29 tacos.[/b]

Wow, you must have had more dedicated teachers than I did.

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@Jun 2, 2004 @ 04:57 AM

or if you really want to go cheap, get one of those hotels where they stuff you in a drawer.[/quote]

This reminds me a lot like of an episode of Seinfeld.

There are youth hostels in japan, I've never stayed in one but that's probably the cheapest place you're gonna find. Do a search on the web and if you can't find anything, post a reply and I'll see if I can hunt down a brochure somewhere.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Jun 2, 2004 @ 02:45 PM

I don't, haha. Fill us in ;).

It has another, more often used meaning besides "splashing water on someone's face".

Back