Upgrading Home Theatre

I've been pretty happy with my 5.1 setup, but I was pondering upgrading to a 6.1 setup. The new setup I'm looking at has more optical inputs, which is a plus, as well as dolby pro logic IIx, Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS ES Descreet 6.1, Neo 6, etc.

Is the quality/difference going to be worth the upgrade? I actually just upgraded from Dolby Surround and Pro Logic to Dolby Digital, Pro Logic II, and DTS, but I'm planning on taking the receiver I just bought back to upgrade to a 6.1 setup, not just because of the extra back speaker, but mainly to have more optical inputs. I'm pretty pleased with the quality itself.

I know that there aren't any true 7.1 DVDs out there, and from what I've read, 7.1 is actually 6.1, with the rear surrounds just amplified twice from 1 signal. I imagine some of the more expensive systems have some type of algorithms that make use of the extra surround though.

But there are a few 6.1 dvds out now, that should make good use of the technology. So, any thoughts, please share! thanks

I know that you can also get the 6th channel by connecting the two rear surround outputs to a pro logic decoder (another surround receiver), and use the front left, center, and right output as the three surround back/rear channels. This would give you matrixed 6.1, or dts es/digital ex, and probably Pro Logic IIx, but not discreet 6.1.

My digital receiver doesn't have preamp outputs for the surround speakers, only for the sub, but I was just letting you all know this, incase some of you have a 5.1 setup and want to go a slightly cheaper route than buying a 6.1 receiver/amp.

Tomorrow night, I'll probably be getting my new system. The only two things I'll need to get to complete it are a powered subwoofer and an all-format dvd/(S)vcd/divx/mp3 player.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my marantz DTS laserdisc player to one with ac-3, but they seem to be fairly expensive, especially for stuff like pioneer elite models, which are what all the home theatre enthusiasts want (if laserdiscs at all). I wouldn't mind just sticking with DTS, but there were only a little over 100 movies released with DTS, yet over half support AC-3 (Dolby Digital).

But there are a few 6.1 dvds out now, that should make good use of the technology. So, any thoughts, please share! thanks

I wouldn't mind upgrading my marantz DTS laserdisc player to one with ac-3, but they seem to be fairly expensive, especially for stuff like pioneer elite models, which are what all the home theatre enthusiasts want (if laserdiscs at all). I wouldn't mind just sticking with DTS, but there were only a little over 100 movies released with DTS, yet over half support AC-3 (Dolby Digital).

[post=132153]Quoted post[/post]​

#1 Gladiator off the top of my head

#2 youll also need a ac-3 decoder as well its a big pain in the rear

Hey, is it still worth getting Laserdiscs? I don't know too much about them, but aren't DVDs better than Laserdiscs? Just curious...

Well, DVDs seem to offer superior video quality, but it all depends on each pressing. I've got around 200 laser discs, and some are grainy, some are good, and a few are great (Jurassic Park being one of the best quality LDs I own) However, from what I've seen/heard, sometimes, DVDs can actually have lower/worse audio quality. Compare Christine or the Shining (original) to both DVD and LD versions of their movies. In fact, it is said that a good majority took their Shining DVDs back to the stores, thinking they were defective, because of the very low noise output.

As far as other movies, I keep hearing that the Definitive Star Wars trilogy on laserdisc is probably the best quality "theatrical release" of any VHS or DVD out. That's because, of course, there is no legit original theatrical release on DVD, and I believe these are in CAV format. The retail price was $250 for it, but it can be had on EBAY for around $80-$150, depending on who's looking for it.

On another note, yeah, I'm trying to weigh in my options as far as AC-3 output for LD. It seems like it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend $300 on a used LD player with AC-3 RF Output, and then have to spend another $100 for an RF-Demodulator to go into my DTS receiver. Pro logic does a pretty damn good job at surround, especially with movies like Jurassic Park and Daylight!

Originally posted by Malakai@Tue, 2005-03-29 @ 01:18 AM

Well, DVDs seem to offer superior video quality, but it all depends on each pressing. I've got around 200 laser discs, and some are grainy, some are good, and a few are great (Jurassic Park being one of the best quality LDs I own) However, from what I've seen/heard, sometimes, DVDs can actually have lower/worse audio quality. Compare Christine or the Shining (original) to both DVD and LD versions of their movies. In fact, it is said that a good majority took their Shining DVDs back to the stores, thinking they were defective, because of the very low noise output.

As far as other movies, I keep hearing that the Definitive Star Wars trilogy on laserdisc is probably the best quality "theatrical release" of any VHS or DVD out. That's because, of course, there is no legit original theatrical release on DVD, and I believe these are in CAV format. The retail price was $250 for it, but it can be had on EBAY for around $80-$150, depending on who's looking for it.

On another note, yeah, I'm trying to weigh in my options as far as AC-3 output for LD. It seems like it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend $300 on a used LD player with AC-3 RF Output, and then have to spend another $100 for an RF-Demodulator to go into my DTS receiver. Pro logic does a pretty damn good job at surround, especially with movies like Jurassic Park and Daylight!

[post=132242]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont see why you cant find a ac-3 laserdisc player for under $100

You can, if you want an "AS-IS, untested, unguaranteed, or worn out" one on EBAY. I guess one could always get lucky and find it at a flea market for $20. That's where I actually found my last 8 or so players at, but none of them had ac-3 rf output.

First Impressions of 6.1 surround:

Well, I got my system in yesterday, and got the 6th channel hooked up today. My processor features Dolby Digital, DD-EX, Pro Logic, Pro Logic IIx, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-ES Descreet 6.1, and Neo 6. I've only got 3 DVDs that feature DD-EX and/or DTS-ES Descreet 6.1, and from what little testing I've done (Final Destination 2, Watcher in the Woods, Star Wars: Clone Wars), it doesn't seem like the 6th channel is being taken fully advantage of, especially in watcher in the woods, where there is very little back channel sound.

From listening to Dolby Surround, Pro Logic, and etc stereo sources, the system seems to have a more full sound, of course through Pro Logic IIx and Neo 6, but occasionally at a cost, and that cost is that there seems to be less directional sound coming from the side surround speakers. So, things like tires squeeling and such don't sound as loud or directional (aka cool) as they do in 4.x/5.x surround/logic.

Other than that, there are only a few extra features I would like to have, like video upconversion and a better control-all remote, but I'm pretty satisfied with it otherwise.

Now, I'm pondering getting a Sony RMAV3100 home theatre remote, as I've heard it'll control anything and everything you'd ever want (lights, a/c, receiver, ld, 18 components total).

Well, I just bought a Laserdisc play, with digital optical and AC-3 RF output. Spent more money than I wanted. So, I won't have be able to get an RF Demodulator for it this week or month or whatever lol.

Also, trying out some DTS CDs on the setup. Pretty nice. In fact, some of the quadrophonic conversions seem to be more channel-distinct than some of the retail ones.

I ended up buying a Denon AVD-2000 Dolby Digital processor, for my AC-3 RF Demodulator. This doesn't do DTS, and it's not a stand-alone RF demodulator, but I'll figure out a way to rig my two processors up and do DTS and AC-3.

I hope that the digital optical out will decode the ac-3 before passing it through to the main receiver, but if not, it also has preamp outputs. My receiver also has preamp inputs, and it won't touch the processed signal if hooked up that way. So, either way, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Next thing to tackle: a powered subwoofer.

Just curious, what type of room are you setting all this up in? Acoustics play a big factor as well.

I'm setting it up in my living room. It's probably medium sized. I do have carpetted floors though. So, from everything I've read on some of the home theater forums, they say to get a front firing subwoofer, because I suppose the carpetting would absorb too much of the sound.

Everything sounds great though, especially Daylight. It has quite a bit of stuff playing on the surrounds, as well as some good booms. The only thing that doesn't sound too good is mono sources.

Back