POLICEWARE

Thanks Galstaff.
laugh.gif

Originally posted by Curtis@May 9, 2003 @ 08:47 PM

There is one flaw in your arguement, though Gameboy. What about things that you do legitimately that you don't want anyone to know about? Nobody (nobody sane that is) allows or would want cameras in their shower for instance - it is a legitimate thing that we want total privacy for in most cases.

There are similar circumstances when you use a computer too. Use your imagination.
smile.gif

I wouldn't want them either. Notice how I specifically said PUBLIC places. Your shower is not a public place.....thank god.

Sounds like a bunch of crap that'll never pass.

You know all of those congressmen are drunken wifebeaters.

Curtis doesn't speak for all of us.

Just so you guys know several states have a Super DMCA law in place already and some more are in the works. The wording of these laws is extremely restricting and in fact makes personal routers and firewalls illegal. Sure glad I don't live in the US.

Super DMCA

Originally posted by gameboy900@May 10, 2003 @ 01:20 AM

"Yes having software on YOUR computer is not good but having software on your isp's computers to scan your activities is not illegal in any sense."

"Privacy is an illusion people hide their bad acts behind. If you're not doing anything wrong (which somehow doesn't seem likely for most of the people who visit this site) then what do you have to worry about?"

an isp is not public - if it was then my taxes should be paying for it and not me - all webssites are not public either -- not even all the lines the information travels on

"Privacy is an illusion people hide their bad acts behind. If you're not doing anything wrong (which somehow doesn't seem likely for most of the people who visit this site) then what do you have to worry about?"

yes that is true but still there are still some people left that havent been brain washed and dont care if they dont do any thing illegal --they just want their privacy -- personaly i will never understand people who dont care -- the way i look at it is -- its like there is some one standing behind you watching what ever you do -- no body would like that - this is exactly the same thing, just with the illusion no one is there

If you're not doing anything wrong (which somehow doesn't seem likely for most of the people who visit this site) then what do you have to worry about?

Mob justice?

an isp is not public

That is why you privately agree to a usage policy that typically states that they are allowed to monitor your activity and cut you off for virtually any reason ("abuse of the network", worded so that it can literally be defined as anything they want, is a popular implementation). Beyond that, you decide where and how to send your data; if you don't want others seeing it, the most advisable course of action is to avoid sending it where and how it can be easily seen. If you think this hurts your ability to use the Internet effectively, welcome to the wonderful world of trust problems. If you think this is something endemic to the Internet, you haven't been paying attention.

if it was then my taxes should be paying for it and not me

If it was funded through taxes, you'd still be paying for it...

Getting back to the original topic, the problem with creating some scary demon like "Policeware" is that the politicians (elected and hired alike) supporting such measures will just push it piece by piece, correctly asserting that each particular piece isn't "Policeware" because it's still up to somebody else to implement it / choose to use it / enforce it. What's more, they'll be oiling the PR machine the whole time so that by the time the final pieces fall into place, public opinion could very well end up being in favor of the measures.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 14, 2003 @ 07:49 AM

if it was then my taxes should be paying for it and not me

If it was funded through taxes, you'd still be paying for it...

LOL yea i worded that wrong

Getting back to the original topic, the problem with creating some scary demon like "Policeware" is that the politicians (elected and hired alike) supporting such measures will just push it piece by piece, correctly asserting that each particular piece isn't "Policeware" because it's still up to somebody else to implement it / choose to use it / enforce it. What's more, they'll be oiling the PR machine the whole time so that by the time the final pieces fall into place, public opinion could very well end up being in favor of the measures.

i tried to say that -- but you said so much more nicely -- definately agree -- that would and certainly will happen

qqq

I would argue that on the Internet, anywhere I go that requires me to create/use a personal login and password, as well as anywhere I go via an SSL-encrypted connection, is a private place and not public.

Certainly my eBay and PayPal accounts are not public. My email isn't public (meaning what's in my personal inbox and sent folders, not what's in transit).

The services may be public but so are banks and various offices. Plus there are laws protecting YOU in case THEY abuse their monitoring powers.

Back