Problems with my new DVD Drive

racketboy

Established Member
The drive itself seems fine but none of the software does.

I installed the PowerDVD Software that came with it.

It starts up, but if I try going into preferences or try playing a DVD it instantly crashes.

I tried using EasyDivx for the first time, but whenever I try going to a different options screen it gives me an "'ed' is not a valid integer" error. (Not sure if this is related or not).

I didn't hook up the "digital/audio" cable that came with the drive. Only the IDE and the power cable. Is that a problem?

Well, that's weird. What OS were you running again?

As for the audio cable, that's just used for playing CD audio tracks, so if you're not planning on doing that, don't worry about it. (You don't need it for ripping CDs either, just playback)

Hmm, that is strange. I have XP and don't have any problems running PowerDVD.. my guess would be conflicting software, but I have no idea what it could be.

As for the audio cable thing, that depends on the software. For instance, I have two drives in the machine I'm typing this post on, and IIRC Windows media player will play cd audio even on the drive that doesn't have the cable hooked up.. I guess because it's reading the CD and sending the info to the sound card on the fly, in the same way a ripping program would read it. OTOH, Sega CD/Turbo CD emulators won't work correctly with it, because like most software, they just send the 'play' command to the drive... and for that to work you need the cable (except on certain SCSI drives IIRC).

Keep powerdvd installed and try using WMP9 to play the DVD. WMP needs the decoder that powerdvd has but it does all the menu stuff itself. I've found that it can often be more stable than other software players.

To play a DVD in it simply got to the Play menu and click on the "DVD, VCD or CD Audio" option. If you have more than one drive, that option will not be selectable but will expand to show each drive in a submenu. Just click on the drive that has the dvd in it.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Dec 19, 2003 @ 06:52 PM

Keep powerdvd installed and try using WMP9 to play the DVD. WMP needs the decoder that powerdvd has but it does all the menu stuff itself. I've found that it can often be more stable than other software players.

To play a DVD in it simply got to the Play menu and click on the "DVD, VCD or CD Audio" option. If you have more than one drive, that option will not be selectable but will expand to show each drive in a submenu. Just click on the drive that has the dvd in it.

yup that worked fine :)

thanks

Back