Problems with Official 4MB Ram Cart

slinga

Established Member
Hey guys,

I just recently bought a second hand capcom 4MB ram cart. The system is not detecting the cart. Every time I try to boot a 4MB game, I get a screen in Japanese which I assume is saying that it can't detect the 4MB cart. I was hoping buy buying the official cart I wouldn't have this problem. Any advice?

I don't think it's my saturn, my regular save backup cart works fine. The contacts for the ram cart are dirty as hell, any advice on cleaning agents? Thanks in advance.

I see the word 4MB in blue. Also, shouldn't the game still continue instead of kicking me back to the cd-player screen?

I know that this may sound obvious, but clean the cart using metholated spirits or kero. Don't wipe of the excess, instead place the cart (with damp connectors) in and out of the system a few times when its not turned on. If that still hasn't worked then when you put the cart in the system, push it down to the bottom and then pull it up about 1mm, that generally works for me.

I'll try that when I can get my hands on some of that stuff...

I bought this from eBay, so if that doesn't work, what should I do, demand my money back from the seller? I bought this with X-Men vs Street Fighter, everything else seems to be ok.

ARGH

This is really getting to me, the guy sent me another 4MB ram cart, same problems. This cart is in a lot better condition than the first, the first was pretty green and corroted.

I've tested on two saturns, one a beat-up US saturn, and a pristine JAP saturn. I get the same screen on both, saying 4MB Ram Cart not found in Japanese.

Any other advice? :damn:

I usually like to own offical hardware, could someone post a picture of the offical 4Mb ram cart and box to if you have it so i know what i am looking for. I have seen a lot of carts in searching but none that i could be sure where the offical cart

official 4MB RAM cart has transparent blue shell.

Also look at the connector. Official ones piled the bottom end bit is narrower so when you stick in the cart the connector won't damage Saturn cart port pins.

When I get home will see whether I have picture of 4MB RAM cart somewhere on my home PC.

cheers

This is slinga's thread about the problems he's having with 4MB carts.

If you want to talk about what they look like please start your own thread. <_<

BTW, slinga - it sounds like you've done everything right. I can't really think of anything else to try.

mate

thought it was little bit related with the original poster's problem. maybe he can see whether he has the official 4MB RAM cart or 3rd party one.

you are right the original poster did everything that can be done except getting new Saturn. ;p Seriously getting one of official 4MB RAM cart and see if it works IF his is NOT official cart might be the last option...

cheers

Originally posted by slinga@May 1, 2004 @ 04:54 AM

I just recently bought a second hand capcom 4MB ram cart.

Hmm, sounds like an official one to me mate. :sarcasm:

I guess I'm just tired of people threadjacking around here. It's one thing to do it in the general forum, but it's another altogether when discussing a specific hardware problem.

then probabaly his Saturn cart socket is busted. :)

if it is then the original poster will need new Saturn or new cart socket if he's good with soldering and can source a spare cart socket...

cheers

Sorry about that mal, a bit perdantic perhaps, as it is related to the item in question. I thought maybe someone answering his question could slip in a picture , maybe even the topic starter, many things are sold on ebay with dodgy discriptions, Yesterday I saw an offical japanese white 4 megabit backup ram cart been sold as a 16 megabyte memory cart.

As for the screen the original thread mentions, I have seen the same screen, it happens in Vampire Savior when I don't plug the action replay i have in. This leads me to believe either the cart is question maybe isn't the offical one, or its knackered. Does the official cart have a bios screen, options menu or anything. The more info I have on the item the more likely i am to help, what games are you trying the cart on?

have you ever used a Gameshark on this system before, or has anyone that had the system before? Well you see when I used to work at Funcoland about 5 years ago, an coworker told me to never use the gameshark because the pins were thicker than a normal Sega Saturn memory card, and would cause the cartridge port to expand and have trouble reading official carts. However, there is a really simple fix:

Insert your 4 Meg cart, but don't push it all the way down (almost but not completely). This will cause the memory cart to make a better connection and you should be good. I had the same problem, but find that by not inserting fully, it causes the pins to push up on the cart a little better. I am almost 99% sure this will work unless your cartridge port is damaged (does any other peripherals work)?

Originally posted by slinga@Apr 30, 2004 @ 01:54 PM

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a second hand capcom 4MB ram cart. The system is not detecting the cart. Every time I try to boot a 4MB game, I get a screen in Japanese which I assume is saying that it can't detect the 4MB cart. I was hoping buy buying the official cart I wouldn't have this problem. Any advice?

I don't think it's my saturn, my regular save backup cart works fine. The contacts for the ram cart are dirty as hell, any advice on cleaning agents? Thanks in advance.

oh and BTW, that is exactly what that message is saying, it is telling you that it isn't detecting a 4MB cart.

Originally posted by fistandantilus@May 31, 2004 @ 07:14 PM

Sorry about that mal, a bit perdantic perhaps, as it is related to the item in question. I thought maybe someone answering his question could slip in a picture , maybe even the topic starter, many things are sold on ebay with dodgy discriptions, Yesterday I saw an offical japanese white 4 megabit backup ram cart been sold as a 16 megabyte memory cart.

And there you go again, dragging the thread off in your direction.

Quit it or I'll have to get the big stick out.

Is this the cart in question?

Why is it off topic, I am trying to work out if he actually has the "official" version. I have seen loads of capcom looking carts even unoffical ones with street fighter pictures on an such. Your been too harsh for someone trying to help.

Ban me if you wish. with temp hotmail account and a floating isp I will be back in 10 minutes anyway lol

Attachments

• SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 69
  • SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 80
  • SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    SSX_4MRAM.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 74
You see this is been sold on ebay at the moment, is this the offical version, if it isn't its easy to see how people become confused? An unofficial version might not be compatible with all games.

And if you don't see how this is related, then duhhh you

30_1_b.JPG

jeez i thought aussies were meant to be chilled out

Originally posted by fistandantilus@May 31, 2004 @ 07:42 PM

jeez i thought aussies were meant to be chilled out

We are.

Even the Dalai Lama (who seems a really cool guy) would get tired of dealing with the idiots here on a daily basis.

Back