• Rise from your gwave!

Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Discussion in 'Saturn Dev' started by vbt, Nov 4, 2015.

1. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Re-thank you :)

SegaSaturnShrine likes this.
  2. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

I received feedback about Return Fire not working with latest Pseudo Saturn Kai : can someone confirm/infirm this fact ?
    I will give a try here on next week, but if someone else could help in testing, that would be great :)

Edit : problem fixed, it was a bad dump/bad burn. Sorry to the people(s) who tried this game in the meantime.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. ontariostone

ontariostone New Member

Just got my Saturn + AR and got PSK installed. Created an account just to say thank you @cafe-alpha for your work. Thank you!

The best way I can describe the swap trick:
    1. Place your target disc in the drive, power on
    2. Wait until disc slows down, swap to real disk
    3. Wait until drive head reads outer ring, speed up the disc, then it will jump to inner ring and read quickly (1/4 second)
    4. Swap target disc before "produced under license" appears
    The trick is to swap between steps 3 and 4. Took me a few tries but I got it.

cafe-alpha and SegaSaturnShrine like this.
  4. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Thank you too, and please have fun with your Saturn ! December is the good moment to play Christmas Nights :)

5. SegaSaturnShrine

SegaSaturnShrine New Member

I've still yet to ever play Nights period, such a sin. I'm going to have to give it a go over winter break!

6. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Yes, that's the good moment to play it. If you can't play during winter, it's still possible to modify Saturn internal clock too :)
    BTW, it seems that I received my first Saturn 20 years ago (Christmas 1996) ... I feel old ^^;

Unrelated edit : what is the default file extension for SSF save file ?
    I use ".SSF" in my Save Data Manager when importing SSF saves, but it seems that ".SAV" is used too.
    If somebody using SSF can help me, that would be appreciated :)

dibz and SegaSaturnShrine like this.
  7. Thales Peres

Thales Peres New Member

Here in Brazil its Summer :smile2:
    And its getting so hot latelly, that gets tiring :sarcasm:

I'm a little late to give feedback on Return fire... But its working here too... But it is an unreleased game on the Saturn so its Buggy as hell :stupid:

8. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Don't hesitate to send some sun here : in exchange, I can send you some rain or wind :D

Ah ah, Pseudo Saturn Kai doesn't fixes games bugs, unfortunately ^^;

9. SegaSaturnShrine

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone! Finally played Christmas Nights yesterday, so much win!

10. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Great ! I just saw your video :)
    Finally in winter vacations here ! Happy holidays everyone too ♪

11. vbt

vbt Staff Member

finally i'm doing some debug using devcard+pseudo saturn.
    i've burnt a fba cd with ip.bin. i want to do some debug and need cd access. two solutions :
    - i boot with "start game & USB"
    - i boot with USB DMA transfert type

with the solution 1, it says cdrom unlocked , you can upload any program
    => finally it worked, i load 3/4x the same binary and it boots
    with the solution 2, the cdrom is not unlocked and if you try to unlock it, the saturn tries to authenticate the CD

so what's the best way ? sol1 with some retries or sol2 but it lacks cdauth ?

12. SegaSaturnShrine

Sorry, just trying to understand your question (no offense, but the wording is weird, ik English is a second language for you, so I understand :) )

So you need access to the CDROM drive for debugging FBA, correct? With solution 1, it works most of the time. With solution 2 the cdrom drive is inaccessible?

Also is your saturn chipped? If so, depending on the modchip, the cd shouks "authenticate" no oroblem everytime ;). Mine is one of the really old ones, that only wirks at boot up and shuts down, requiring a reboot to load another cd-r.

Grabbing a newer modchip that doesn't shut down after boot up, might be a good solution for you, if your Saturn isnt already equipped with one.

If you need your Saturn chipped, if you get one (I don't stock them at all) Im willing to install it for free (just pay shipping) for all your hard work on fba :).

Last i knew Rob Webb had chips in stock here: consolegoods.co.uk

13. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Sorry for the delay.

It is not that simple : solution 2 (DMA transfer) doesn't initializes CD block at all, hence a modchip won't help.
    Solution 1 allows to do iterative test with only one CD-R (vs one CD-R for each build when only a modchip is used), but this is still a bit experimental.
    (I tested Planet de Pon with the "one CD-R for each build" method because I only had one modded Saturn for dev at that time ... and I'm happy antime developped his USB dev cart atfer that :) )

Solution 2 is absolutely not designed for testing of applications accessing to CD-ROM : it is convenient when developer wants to test something just after BIOS gave execution to cartridge (after that, Pseudo Saturn Kai main menu changes contents of RAM and some registers. Theses are reset to initial value when executing a program from USB, but not when reading data from USB).
    I personally use this mode when USB transfer doesn't works after making changes to USB Pseudo Saturn Kai sources ^^; Since source for DMA transfer mode are separated from Pseudo Saturn Kai, at least this mode still works as long as Pseudo Saturn Kai boots.

Solution 1 is the best way in order to test applications accessing CD-ROM : I added this feature for that :)

> i load 3/4x the same binary and it boots

Can you describe in details what's not working correctly ? If something doesn't works (and if that's fixable), I will fix it :)

This feature requests fba burned on CD-R, with first executable, drivers, and data : if it boots fine with Pseudo Saturn Kai loader, then it is OK for "Start Game & USB" feature.
    After enabling "Start Game & USB" feature, you are ready to execute first executable via USB, and it will be used instead of the one on CD-ROM.
    Please note that it works only with first executable, so testing of drivers requires a CD-R each time (or to make driver bootable without first executable.)

14. vbt

vbt Staff Member

here is what i'm doing :

SatLink.exe usb_dev_cart.ini -l d_slpfgh.bin 0x060B4000 -x sl.bin 0x06004000 -exit

i have a batch file for each driver, i disable the driver loading from the cd then load driver + main binary.
    Satlink executes successfully the task (no error in the log) but then saturn ignores data. i retry the same thing till it works. it's like a dma transfer failure (that's why i rarely used dma).

15. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Seems to work well with latest build of SatLink on vbt side.
    Reason why old version of SatLink doesn't works is unclear, but I suppose that is was similar to this bug detailed in my blog.

If someone wants to do similar testing (burn only one CD-R with initial program and data, and do iterative testing on initial program via USB : no need to burn CD-R each time), please let me know in this thread.
    (I really need to finish SatLink and do a proper release of it someday ...)

BTW, are (is ?) there people other than vbt and me using SatLink ?? Don't hesitate to post here (even if it is just to say hello) if you're still developing things on Saturn :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017