PSX

Myname

Established Member
Some of you will have no doubt seen this today. Info here and here.

To me this looks like good news for Nintendo (and possibly Sega in the long run), since MS and Sony seem intent on making multimedia systems rather than gaming ones. Hopefully the pure gaming market will be left a little more to those who actually care about it.

the links only give me an error. Maybe you should paste the text
blush.gif

Can't you use your initiative? Follow the link back to the site
tongue.gif

Sony has recently faced some financial woes, as its shares fell to the lowest point in nearly eight years this month. But Sony always seems to have a trick up its sleeve to win the trust of investors, and this time around the trick is a rather interesting one: the PSX.

The PSX? No, it's not the Playstation or PS One, which was often referred to as the PSX. No, this PSX is a version of the PS2 hardware that comes fully equipped with a built-in tv tuner, hard drive, and a dvd recorder. Obviously, some of these new features will allow users to download content from the internet.

This new system will hit Japan this winter, and is said to be coming stateside next year. The details are still a tad sketchy at this point, but the fact remains that this is an exciting bit of news. We will definitely have more on this news shortly. Check back with us in a bit!

There's pictures on there too.

BTW the system is aimed at being a high-end piece of HT equipment, so it won't be cheap at all. From the specs I would guess well over $1000 if it came out right now.

Actually.. I hope it does. Why? Sony will lose A LOT of money off of it! I mean... who's gonna buy that, when I can just get an eMac or iMac with a SuperDrive? Like I've said before. This happened to Atari, Nintendo, and Sega, and it WILL happen to Sony. Their arrogance, will be their downfall.

Ok.. I know Nintendo is a tad bit arrogant. But I still don't see their downfall on the horizon. Their profits have dropped some, and the GC isn't selling like expected, but they're still raking in about 550mill a year. I don't know about you, but to me that doesn't sound like a company that's goin' under.

Also, I don't necessarily see Sony going under either. The way Sponge is reporting they make it sound like PS3 is going to fail. But I've read enough about this new cell technology to know that a boxed PC(X-Box 2) won't be able to hold a candle against it. I've never been a huge Sony fan, but I think the PS3 will be a new revolution in gaming. And the other 2 companies (MS, Nintendo) are clamoring to get a head start, well, I think we all know that a head start doesn't always mean success.

But yah, to keep something on topic here. I won't be buying the PSX, sounds like a huge waste of cash to me.

as long as PS3 is backwards compatable with PSone and PS2 games it should be fine.

But as Spong pointed out, they will probably be the last to come out with the nextgen system.

Big N is already working on their next console and I'm sure XBox2 is already being planned.

Like Spongs also said, MS just has to scrap a bunch of PC parts together for the most part as opposed to Sony's $$$ spending working on the "Cell" processor.

Maybe we are to the point where console makers sould just use PC processors.

That way they don't have to spend tons of money in development and research -- let Intel, AMD, nVidia, and ATI do it on their own.

Well, from the current batch, the PS2 is the only with full in-house technology. The GameCube uses modified, but existing, hardware. The video is ATI, the CPU is IBM, and so on. It's similar to the way the DC was built: Sega used custom versions of existing hardware.

And... the PS3 won't be using Cell technology anymore. This was on the news a while ago, and I can't believe nobody else read about that. They said they had to scrap the idea because the Cell technology won't be avaliable until 2007, and it was stated it would take a while to decrease the initial costs.

Sony doesn't want to wait that long for their PS3.

The way I see it......the PSX wont be around for long. It is a bad move by Sony but I dont really care cause they have nothing to give to the industry other than competition (which makes for more powerful systems). Someone like Nintendo and SEGA would be HUGE loses to the industry if they went under, merged, or broke up kinda like rareware did.

actually, I would like to see a bit of a trend of high-end versions of consoles.

Maybe its a little early for the industry, but I think it would be better for adults that have a HT and want a nice piece of gaming equipment.

It would be nice if there could be a different version of consoles that would have the standard size of AV equpiment. and maybe had better load time, better hookup capabilites, and some other misc features.

I would pay a decent amount for a high-end Dreamcast.

On second thought, having a rectangle DC would be weird.

Anyway, you get the idea.

However things like the PSX and the way the XBox is going, they want the console to be an all-in-one box, which I'm not real fond of. I want a DVD player for DVD, not my console.

Now playing compressed video and music files would be nice (DivX, MP3, QT, WM, Ogg).

Although then you have the RIAA and the movie industry after you.

Just wanted to point out that Microsoft has been really big on making the Xbox a gaming console only. That's the reasons why you need to buy a seperate controller for DVD playback and why they don't want a keyboard or mouse for the system.

Originally posted by gameboy900@May 28, 2003 @ 07:34 PM

Just wanted to point out that Microsoft has been really big on making the Xbox a gaming console only. That's the reasons why you need to buy a seperate controller for DVD playback and why they don't want a keyboard or mouse for the system.

LOL, a seperate controller. What a joke. The hardware is obviously capable of playing it. Extra hardware is just extra profits. Though I agree that Microsoft tries hard to make it look like a game machine.

I read Sony is trying to make a processor 1000X's faster than the PS2 one. Is that the "cell" chip people mention here?

and what is "HT?"

so if im reading this right the PSX is just a PS2 with added features -- no update in graphics or main prossesor -- right -- i wonder if games made for that new copyright protection will play on old ps2s

Originally posted by googlefest1@May 29, 2003 @ 04:07 PM

so if im reading this right the PSX is just a PS2 with added features -- no update in graphics or main prossesor -- right

correct

Back