Radiant Silvergun

Originally posted by jeff-20@Dec 5, 2003 @ 11:19 PM

I thought the running guy (final boss) in RS was kind of poetic and very cool...

or at least original.

thanx jeff for telling me the final boss...i was gonna play this game for the first time today...fuck.

Very interesting & challenging game is Carrier Air Wing / Un Squadron on CPS-1.

The only Shooter with a shop I like. (I hated Disposable Hero on AMIGA for this!)

Complete the first 2 level without buying anything, that way you'll always have enough money for the rest of the levels to completly fill up your fuel tank, utalize secondary full powered weapon & maybe even small shields.

Of course you have to make sure to shoot down all enemies in the levels.

Best aircraft is the A-6 Intruder.

Cool game.

Capcom knows how to make Shooters!

:thumbs-up:

Originally posted by lethal_illuminati+Dec 6, 2003 @ 01:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lethal_illuminati @ Dec 6, 2003 @ 01:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-jeff-20@Dec 5, 2003 @ 11:19 PM

I thought the running guy (final boss) in RS was kind of poetic and very cool...

or at least original.

thanx jeff for telling me the final boss...i was gonna play this game for the first time today...fuck. [/b][/quote]

I'm sure you'll still manage to enjoy it

just played it, cant even get pass the first level but damn..that's some amazing graphics, best shump i've played but i haven't played too many though. The 2nd best shump i like is for psx, Einhander but that game doesn't compare to RS for saturn.

Yeah, Einhander is a sweet game too. It's like 'whoa- Square made a shooter! and it's good!'.

Kinda OT, but speaking of PS1 'shooter' games, anyone ever play that game 'One'? That was a cool game... way underpublicized. Kind of like Expendable on the DC but way better. I can't find a copy of it anywhere, unfortunately.

At least when the Playstation was new, Square experimented with many genres (eg. Tobal No.1, one of the oldest beat-em-ups for the platform). For another equally surprising game, check out Omega Boost, a pretty cool mecha 3D shooter made by Polyphony Digital (the Gran Turismo people).

Originally posted by retroborg@Dec 5, 2003 @ 02:05 PM

I would still love to see this game visually enhanced using an emulator. PSX games look so much better on ePSXe Emu than on the real Playstation. Imagine R.Silvergun with more polygons and hi-res textures.

You can run RS in a few Saturn Emulators with a few graphical and sound bugs. Radiant Silvergun is one of the best SHMUPS I've played. :eek:mg:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=13850

I'm all for a minimalistic shooter, so I rate RSG as one of the best I ever touched. One thing I absolutely loved about the game is that it does a slightly different take on the shmup genre, I can't point out exactly what.

When I played it for the first time, back in 2000, I had one of those "gaming moments", that get imprinted in your brain for ages to come. Controls visuals and sound seemed to work damn well together in this game, and it sucked me in, that I played all way to dawn when I first got it. Even if I were to die a lot in some areas, it was not bothersome or tiresome, and I liked that.

As mentoned before, RSG puts makes you feel totally responsible when you die, and I freaking loved that. It was not that damn enemy that gets confudes with the scenery, or a bullet that killed me because the game wanted so, or that damn bullet that is WAY faster than the bunch, or because I was in the wrong side of the screen and the boss threw so many bullets at me that not even a grain of sand cound make it between them. No. There is always a way on the levels and bullet patterns.

RSG was the first shmup where I got really "in the zone", like in Tetris. I can't do the same with R-type, as example.

And the added bonus that RSG has a story of sorts, and the ingenuous way it's told (the first level is level 3, level 2 is a flash back, and so on) are really welcome.

Originally posted by M3d10n+Dec 7, 2003 @ 06:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M3d10n @ Dec 7, 2003 @ 06:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm all for a minimalistic shooter[/b]

What's a minimalistic shooter?

<!--QuoteBegin-M3d10n
@Dec 7, 2003 @ 06:18 PM

One thing I absolutely loved about the game is that it does a slightly different take on the shmup genre, I can't point out exactly what.[/quote]

Perhaps the fact that there is no powerups, and you have mulitple different weapons accessible from the very start of game... and the fact that you need to charge up your 'smart bomb' (sword) by absorbing the enemies bullets.

Yeah, I know it's not as bullet crazy as dodonpachi, but it's still up there. I'm thinking about the foe guarding the 2E boss - he shoots a missle which explodes into a whole lot of bullets. The bullets are rather slow compared to many other shooters (the bouncing ball bullets are extemely slow).

gigawing is VERY hard, I think it came out on the dreamcast, but I've only ever played it at the arcade. you have a shield that can reflect bullets back at enemies, but since you have access to that, there are times where there is so much on screen that you can't avoid it, you have to use the shield. That and all those bonus points you pick up don't stay with you unless you finish the stage without dying after you get them :(

Originally posted by antime+Dec 8, 2003 @ 09:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Dec 8, 2003 @ 09:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-CrazyGoon@Dec 8, 2003 @ 11:21 AM

What's a minimalistic shooter?

I'd guess the opposite of manic shooters (eg. Do Donpachi) [/b][/quote]

Just to make it clearer. A minimalistic shooter is one where the focus is in micro-dodging and being accurate can help you big time in not dying. Ships and bullets are a bit slower than manic shooters, and the player is required to focus in a small part of the screen (or get "in the zone" and dodge small things while looking at the whole screen, without looking at your ship - you simply *know* where it is). The level design and bullet patterns are nearly maze-esque.

In a manic shooter you macro-dodge masses of bullets/enemies: passing through them is next to impossible. Ships fly at high speeds, and both the player and the enemies fire large barrages of bulllets. Usually winning the game means being in the screen quadrant with the less "bullet per pixel" density and firing the super bomb (that usually clears the screen/wipes the boss out and gives massive invincibility) as often as you can.

One major difference in RSG is that it is a minimalistic shooter AND a vertical shooter. As a rule of thumb, most vertical shmups are supposed to be manic, and minimalistc ones were only found among horizontal shooters in the past.

BTW, I downloaded one of those videos (RSG level 2 sword play). That mothafucka found some safe collision areas I never found that were possible. Sometimes it almost seems he's invincible or something, but then he proved me wrong by dying a few times. He plain *toyed* with the bosses and made 'em his bitches! And all that in arcade mode (no weapon level saving).

Back