READY FOR CUBE?

Gamecube now, maybe Xbox later, probably never for the PS2.

I like Gamecube. I like the system itself, I like the games, it apears to have the most support from Sega, it has a lot more 3rd party support than N64, it's cheap, and I think (and this is only my opinion) it could be Nintendo's next SNES.

I kind of like the Xbox. I like the system, I like some of the games, I like that you get what you pay for (i.e. comes with a hard drive, ethernet port, and 4 controller ports). I don't like M$.

I don't like the PS2. It's not worth the money. It really doesn't have enough good games to make it worth it yet. It lacks in many areas, and other consoles that are cheaper or the same price have most, if not all of those things. And I bet Sony created that chip shortage when the PS2 first came out. Sega, Nintendo, and other companies could produce enough chips around that same period of time. Why couldn't Sony?

yeah of course sega is supporting nintendo, look who is appearing in samsh bros melee! wait could it be?

yeah its SONIC!!!! yeah man, I am still getting a gamecube! ps2 is alright, but xbox blows, I hate MS down with the box!!!!

"yeah of course sega is supporting nintendo, look who is appearing in samsh bros melee! wait could it be?

yeah its SONIC!!!! yeah man, I am still getting a gamecube! ps2 is alright, but xbox blows, I hate MS down with the box!!!!"

Dude...Any kind of fanboyism is bad, regardles of how strongly you feel about it. There is absolutley nothing wrong with the Xbox...It has the best hardware with the best features, the most third party support (aside from the PS2), and the most Sega support. Don't believe me?

NGC confirmed releases:

Super Monkey Ball (original)

Sonic Adventure 2 (port)

PSO ver. 2 (port)

2K2 sports franchises (original)

(Pretty sure there's more but don't know what they are...)

Xbox confirmed releases (11 titles in total):

Gun Valkyrie (original)

Crazy Taxi Next (original)

JSRF (original)

House of the Dead 3 (original)

Panzer Dragoon (!) (original)

Sega GT 2002(original)

2K2 sport franchises (original)

As for Sonic Team, they (like everybody else) wants money...They'll go where they can can get it. The fact of the matter is that they have NEVER announced themselves to be exclusive to the NGC.

"Sonic the Hedgehog Advance is targeted for the GBA platform, we want Sonic to be available on every platform." -Yuji Naka

Sonic Team will eventually annouce Xbox support just like they will eventually announce PS2 support...It's just a matter of when (and money). I have nothing against the NGC and I will probably pick one up eventually get one but there is NOTHING wrong with the Xbox. Just my $0.02

EDIT: More proof of Sonic going multi platform...

"...SEGA does expect Sonic to become a million seller again, but this is also on multiplatform." -Sonic (Sega beta tester)

http://bbs.pcstats.com/beyond3d/messageview.cfm?start=21&catid=5&threadid=675

(Edited by 3rdman at 1:03 am on Sep. 21, 2001)

3rdman, I wholly agree with you. Except on the "best hardware" part. Keep in mind, I WILL buy on X-Box on launch, and i'm DYING to play some of those awesome X-Box games, so I'm definitely not biased against it. Actually, I want one pretty bad. That being said though, I need to comment on the hardware.

OK, so the X-Box will have more RAM than any toher console. And super-fast RAM at that. And a super fast DVD-ROM drive. And a super fast Nvidia graphics chip. And a hard drive. Very Impressive. But then we get to the processor. Based on the PIII right? A 733 PIII if I remember correctly. Well, isn't a PIII just 32-bit? OK, so it's faster than all the other console cup's. But it's STILL just 32-bit. Isn't this a step backwards? DC, PS2, and GC are all 128-bit. With all the other "super fast" hardware items on the unit, I find myself wondering if the cpu will be able to handle all the info being thrown at it without hiccuping. A console needs to run smooth, not buggy or choppy like a Window's PC. It can't stutter or freeze while trying to sort out all the data thrown at it. I believe that the box will be awesome, but that it will get maxed out hardware-wise pretty quickly, at the limitation of the cpu. I don't think the rest of the hardware will be able to live up to it's potential. I wholly expect to see slowdown in a bunch of games because of this, not at first, but as the developers start pushing it harder and harder.

All this is not to say that the X-Box will not be kick-ass, because I think it will, but I just have my doubts about it's longevity and long-term performance.

Of course, as I have not actually played an X-Box personally, I could be completely wrong on all of this, and Microsoft could've figured out ways around these problems ages ago. It's just my personal opinion based on looking at the specs.

Truthfully, only by having the console itself will I be able to see if my fears are justified or not. And come launch date, I'll be the first in line. :)

zx7ninja, I understand what you're saying as I've heard this arguement before. However you are assuming the CPU is meant for 3D aplications when that is just not the case.

The CPU as it sits in the Xbox is strictly used for AI and system functions. All Graphic related functions will be handled by the NV2a.

From IGN FAQ...

"A 733MHz PIII processor is incredibly fast for a game console. A separate graphics processor adds the extra need for speed, by taking the load off of the processor. Graphical data will be sent to the graphics processor while that spunky little 733MHz PIII will be able to focus solely on the computing powers at hand, instead of just pushing pixels."

From TeamXbox Hardware guide...

"3D operations in games are *incredibly* FPU intensive. Toshiba's "Emotion Engine" certainly mops the floor with the Pentium 3's FPU, performance wise. However, the large majority of floating point work performed by the Xbox will be done by the NV2A graphics processing unit (GPU), not the Pentium 3 CPU. In fact, the NV2A's FPU performance outmatches that of the "Emotion Engine" significantly. "

So, in theory, the CPU "limitation" shouldn't make a difference as it is not meant for 3D applications.

Man, I'm also sick of everyone hating the Xbox for no #### reason!

If I get a new console, Xbox would probably be it. Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon 4 (...or something along those lines), and most importantly: Virtual On Force.

Well, maybe VOF won't happen. But if it gets a console port, I think it'd be to the Xbox.

really, I don't care which wins. As long as I get to play my beloved SquareSoft games and Virtua Fighter games, I don't care. (as you can, see I'm leaning toward PS2 :)) And yes, I do support XBox. I'm only interested in Metroid Prime for NGC.

(Edited by Cloud121 at 6:41 pm on Sep. 21, 2001)

Hmmm....3rdman, I never looked at it from that angle. The "PC angle" I guess. As that's what typically happens when you add a faster video card to a pc. It frees up the cpu to do other, more important things. Thanks for enlightening me to that side of the equation.

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised come launch date. :)

Still Nintendo wins! Game Boy Advance has everyone, even SQUARE! they are remaking all the FF, well FF1-FF6

but hey any square game on advance is ok right?

and than the GAMECUBE will do alright, Im not talking hardware, I am talking gameplay buddy! and the price.

plus you are supporting microsoft, WTH?

are they really making ff to advance?where did u read that? well about fucken time, square would be stupid

not to. consider gameboy advance is the famous handheld.

re: cube X 2?

well i get consoles mostly for games alone. I baught a saturn becuase i had ordered a sailor moon and that 3d Dungeon master game...

anyway's I've already preorded the xbox. getting 5 games and most likely will get 4 more games before too long as well.

Right now there is maybe 4 gc games i want, M-Prime, SSMB, PSOv2, SA2.

reguardless of spec's or how each company is advertising there games right now i'm most excited with X.

ps2, well thats ahem a "good system" but will be outdated and fall out of the market before to long, then sony will shift higher gear for ps3.

my computer is alittle worse then the xbox spec's well most of them. PErsonally i'm also looking forward to GC and Xbox emulation, maybe some sega CD emulation with the xbox or sometihng... that HD could do save states or sometihng ^_^

i tihnk the first GC game i want doesn't come out till december(SSBM), even then i'm going to wait for the dvd combo system besides i'd want to wait till i find a mod cihp to play different regions and cdr(or dvdram's as well). rather the xbox does well or not i'm mostl ikely going to spend the most money on it then the gba&gc combined(that say's alot considering i imported my gba as soon as it came out in japan).

btw there are sqaure games for GBA. infact ff2 was relased on the wonderswan color awhile ago.

"Bits" (as a system-wide value) never really meant anything to anyone but marketing departments. The SNES CPU, for example, has only an 8-bit data bus and 16-bit registers/ALU. The M68000 used in Genesis and Neo-Geo (as well as numerous other arcade systems) has a 16-bit data bus and 32-bit registers/ALU, but it's common to hear them both called "16-bit". I've even heard claims thrown around that the 2600 is a "4-bit system" (it uses the 6507, which has an 8-bit data bus and 8-bit registers), or that some early Sega systems like the SG-1000 are "4-bit" (they use Z80, one of the most powerful "8-bit"-era processors, though it could be argued that much of it is 16-bit internally). Really, it's all a bunch of BS until you start talking about actual concrete features of the machine. The only thing that "system bits" is really useful for at all is defining eras of game systems by what the companies wanted you to believe about them.

Why bother trying to compare the systems to figure out witch is better, everyone has their own opinion and each system will have their own unique games witch the others won't and then they will have others that are ported over to each of the systems. I've got 2 saturns, a NES, a SNES, game gear, gameboy, N64, PSX, Genesis, Dreamcast, and most recently my PS2 (which i got on the first launch day at 4 a.m.) And I enjoy everyone of them, sure some may have better games than other ones but they all have certian games that make the system stand out and unique, so instead of having such a negative opinion on a system think of the great features about it and be happy with what you have (or what you are getting) instead of putting the others down...

Back