Recommend me a cheap/used Palm

racketboy

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting a used Palm.

I haven't gotten one yet because I just can't justify paying $100 or more for an organizer.

But I've been checking out some older used models on eBay and such and seeing some prices that are acceptible IMO.

Now I just need to know what model would be the best fit with a balance of price/features.

Here will be mine main uses for it:

Typing notes in class (w/ add-on keyboard)

Reading e-books?

Reading text files

Work with spreadsheets?

Playing simple games like Boggle

Syncing Emails with Desktop?

Normal To-Do, Calendar, etc

Sync with USB?

those with question marks would be nice, but not necessary

Also I'm not sure what kind of power/OS are needed to play MP3s.

Also having the option of add-on storage would be nice, but not necessary.

Being able to sync with Mozilla (mail?, calendar, todo) would be a major plus as well. I don't use Outlook.

What I really want to get down to is figuring out how much these features will cost me in order to decide if it's worth spending the extra dollars.

I'm only looking to spend $30-55.

For easy reference, here's a good selection of used PDAs for decent prices

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=PDA

If you are interested, I have an old Palm VII lying around. Its complete with cradle, stylus, case. Also, I have two packs of screen covers for it. If you are interested, let me know. I would be pretty flexible on the price.

My dad used to have a Palm VII when they were new, but his work started a policy of pretty much searching through everyone's info. Yes, it actually was somewhat necessary, but that's beside the point. Point is, before he turned it in (avoiding the hassle altogether), I got to play around with it for a bit. It is better than a Palm III, but I was not remotely impressed. I wouldn't count on MP3 capability if your budget is so limited. However, with that said, a Palm VII or similar would be fine for all the basic stuff. Apparently after using it for a bit you can even get proficient enough that you won't need a keyboard for entering small stuff in - obviously I wouldn't want to do that for taking notes, but maybe if you're walking around you could add something to your schedule, etc.

For the price you can probably pick up a Zaurus SL-5500 cheaper than a palm. Syncs very well with Outlook (If you use it), otherwise syncs w/ the prepackaged software. Full color, lots of (free) software, and there is software for sale, as well.

It has Mp3 and video playback, as well as a number of nifty accessories. I'm running a NES, Gameboy and a Palm (Vx?) emulator on it. Multitasking is a breeze, and you can customize the look. Semi decent battery life, 3 hours with display on, 10 hours max with it off (I use it as an mp3 player when I'm biking). Can open text, word, pdf, exel, powerpoint (Hancom software).

Interestingly, it has a keyboard (physical) built in. I've gotten pretty proficient with it (30wpm, I guess). But there are full size keyboards available (that roll up, into a little tube, no less).

I got mine for $115, but I don't know if that's the regular going price these days.

He says he's trying for $55 max. So unless the going price is significantly lower now, that doesn't look ideal. He probably just wants something for the basics, that will sync easily with Windows, and any extras are just that. Gasoline not included.

(Racket, you're needing all sorts of help lately, practically dominating the hardware help requests ;))

Originally posted by schi0249@May 28, 2004 @ 03:06 PM

If you are interested in my Palm VII, I may be interested in trading it for some of the stuff you have for sale.

very interested -- lemme know what you are thinking in specifics.

just post what you are interested in on my garage sale thread.

on the Palm VII, does the antenna thing get in the way?

I doubt I would use it since I don't have the cash to burn for the service.

Also, how is the battery life. Is there an easy/economical way to use rechargables AAAs or should I just keep buying batteries?

Remember, I hope to type notes in class often with this

The antenna doesn't get in the way at all. If you use the service it flips up. Its only about 3-4 inches long. The battery life isn't too bad. I was using rechargable batteries before. I had two sets. I always kept one ready for when the others were dieing.

how easy is it to type long outlines (for class) and read fairly large text files, spreadsheet etc on an older Palm.

I'm just trying to determine if I should just stick with a paper notebook and pen for note taking, etc.

Originally posted by racketboy@May 28, 2004 @ 07:49 PM

how easy is it to type long outlines (for class) and read fairly large text files, spreadsheet etc on an older Palm.

I'm just trying to determine if I should just stick with a paper notebook and pen for note taking, etc.

I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend it for that sort of thing, myself. It is pocket-portable, so you'd want to use it whenever you aren't lugging around your laptop. If you have access to power outlets, I'd take notes on the laptop, or else go low-tech with paper. It's outdated, and it doesn't have games, but it isn't painful to look at for hours on end (well, unless its math).

Back