Region Switch

I was just reading info on some saturn country switch guides and I am kinda confused.. They say that for US jumpers 10 and 7 are closed and for Jap jumpers 11 and 6 are closed. But no where mentions the jumpers for Pal..

Secondly, if i were to make a switch that allowed you to toggle between the three, what kind of switch should I use?

Im just toying with the idea of trying this mod, so just trying to get more info.

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@Fri, 2005-03-11 @ 06:40 AM

I was just reading info on some saturn country switch guides and I am kinda confused.. They say that for US jumpers 10 and 7 are closed and for Jap jumpers 11 and 6 are closed. But no where mentions the jumpers for Pal..

PAL is a video standard, not a geographical area. You want the Europe setting.

sorry thats what I meant..

what kind of switch would be used to switch between the 3 regions? I know a standard dpdt switch would work for switching between two, but im not sure about 3.

Ok, well... either you can HUNT down a DP3P switch... but thats rather difficult to get a hold of for a reasonable price.

Instead I used a SPDT center off switch and a hex inverter. this way it takes the off position as being a connection. www.mmmonkey.co.uk describes it quite well... but don't follow their 50/60 hz switch, its rather tricky.

huh?

I got my DP3P switch from local Jaycar?

didn't know it was hard to get?

we are talking about the one with three position so you can toggle between top-middle-low, right? I've wired mine for US-JP-EU although it's usually at JP position.

well it may be easy for you in australia... here I can't find them except on the internet and price wise its not reasonable. I can get a hex inverter, PCB and a SPDT center off switch all for about 4.50 right across the street. Where id have to pay like 7 bucks plus shipping to get a DP3T switch.

but don't follow their 50/60 hz switch, its rather tricky.

[post=131656]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I see what you mean.. I wonder why they think its better to try the leg on the chip.. the way I see it if you mess up and ruin that leg you just trashed the saturn.

I also was looking for DP3T switches, and I cant find them either. Even online they are kinda hard to find.

I am pissed as all hell.

I modded up another saturn with all the works. Region, 50/60, battery, and bootleg. Everything works great except one stinken thing. When I flip the region switch to JAP it just won't even turn on. The thing shorts out or something. I hit power and no light, no NOTHING! I have been searching it for bad solder points, bad anything. Nope seems all good. What the fricken hell? It works in US and Euro regions though???

Got it to work, too. :p

But I cut the legs of the chips from the saturn mainboard and soldered the wires for the switches directly on the legs of the chips - instead of cut the jumpers and solder the wires on the mainboard. This was easier for me because I didn`t have to trace the "lines" on the mainboard and I did`nt have to find the right solder points. I also used a hex inverter with two switches...

For the Region Mod you have to cut some jumper connections. I didn`t know exactly which ones, but I cut all jumpers from the "System Manager and Peripheral Controler Chip"! :hehehe:

Back