ROM Modifications on SUPER UFO 32+

Cecilia Chen

Ban Hammered
Hi,

I recently got intrested again, so I tried to load a ROM image which was modified from the original (Language Patch). I padded the image out to the next highest megabit, and continued as normal. When I loaded the game on my SUPER UFO 32, it stopped at the 3rd disk, and tried to load the game (Without the last 4th disk). Of course the screen stayed black.

Is the UFO reading some internal header information which leads it to beleive it is a ROM of a diffrent megabit? Is there a way to strip the header and make a new one based on the ROM the way it is now, so that it matches the file? Im not sure how to do this part. Emulators load the Image fine though.

I recently got intrested again, so I tried to load a ROM image which was modified from the original (Language Patch). I padded the image out to the next highest megabit, and continued as normal.

Why do you need to pad the ROM? Does the language patch do something to alter its size to a non-standard one? Also, you might want to try padding it to the next 4Mb or 8Mb boundary.

Is the UFO reading some internal header information which leads it to beleive it is a ROM of a diffrent megabit?

That sounds like it's what is happening. However, I think some of the copier units (don't remember which ones) base this on the filenames instead of a header...

Is there a way to strip the header and make a new one based on the ROM the way it is now, so that it matches the file? Im not sure how to do this part.

Have you tried SNESTool? I think it can do this...

Thanks for your suggestions!

I think I will try to pad up to the closes 4 megabits. Thats about 512Kb or something right? I think the copiers need the megabits to be a round number for some strange reasons. Having images that are 16.35 megabits seems a bit odd to them I suppose? About the file name idea, I think thats also a good point. The game im trying to get running is 26 megabits and a 1/2, so I padded it up to the closest megabit which is 27. If it did use the filename, they need a round 2 digit megabit number to fit in the name. About the programs, yes I have tried all the latest versions. Im still puzzled on why it stops at disk 3, but judging from your comments, maybe I can change the filename or something to see how it goes.

Let me know if you have any more ideas! I really appreciate it!

super ufo uses magicom file format, plays anything reguardless of its name. yes files do need to be padded to a valid size. if the rom is infact in magicom format (.smc/swc) just remove the first 512 bytes. game doctor games don't have headers, only the filename to tell the size of the game and if its disk a/b/* or the only disk

Hi kyuusaku,

I have tryied everything, and Im out of luck. (^.^);

I have taken the image, which is SMC (Wildcard), and the first thing I did was pad the 26.25 megabit file out to 27 megabits. Then I used Ucon64.exe to convert that file into a GameDoctor file and split it up. The result is a file called:

SF28FROX.078, where x is the letter of the disk (4 disks)

The UFO shows the game name correctly, but at the end of the third disk, it loads the game without asking for the last.

So what I did was I changed SF28 to SF32 on the file to fool it to think it was a 32 meg game and ask for another disk. It asked for the 4th disk this time, but it still failed to load. I tried patching the file for copyprotection, I fixed the CRC data, and I even tried ripping the header from the SMC file and splitting it up. That created the 4 megabit magicom files, but when I tryed to load them, I still had no luck.

You sound like you have a UFO as well. If you do, mind if you hack at a game and see if you can get a working image going? It seems you probably know more about this than me.

I have tried using the un-edited image of the game, and it loads fine. When I patch it with the Language Pack, it doesn't work anymore. The intros, or extra game lines maybe mess it up? Im at a loss!

Hey Cecilia, I use the Super UFO Pro-8 too. It's an excellent copier. Plays anything without SDD-1 compression chips and Tales of Phantasia (unless you add RAM, but why would you wanna play TOP anyway
smile.gif
)

You might have luck using inSNESt by Rigamortis. YOu can get it here.

All you need to do is use two of the options in it. First:

insnest o ROMANAME

This will pad your ROM to a valid megabit size for copiers. Then run:

insnest c ROMNAME

Select Pro Fighter/Super UFO 8 from the list and enter a new filename. Then you can just split that file with inSNESt or SNES tool and load it up on your copier. I've never had a problem yet and I use my UFO regularly
smile.gif

A few quick notes, if it shows th egame name wrong in most cases this means your discs are not properly formatted for the UFO. If your game is multi-part to begin with, join the parts then use the above steps I mentioned with inSNEST to get ir running on your UFO.

I've had problems running GameDoctor format images on my copier, that's why I only use Pro Fighter/UFO format. It works every time. If you need any other help witht he copier just let me know.

Hi,

Well, I fixed the problem myself. Most converters don't actualy change the file format. They only delete and replace the 512k header on the roms, which is bad. Im sure thats why you may have trouble with some Game Doctor files, as it requires Game Doctor 3 files, no more, no less. That includes interleved files above 24 megabits I think.

Most of the time you can just pull the game out of the CDs that come with the unit, but if you download a patch and fix the game up, it may not work so good. I think it has to do with the headers not matching the actual attributes of the rom. But Pro Fighter/Partner roms seem to explicity spell out things which may be why roms work better. Also I find its better to explicitly tell the UFO the foramat rather than the auto-boot.

Those CD's only come with UFO units in Hong Kong
smile.gif
No ROM CD's otherwise.

I have the Game Doctor image format specs around here somewhere but the file name has a lot to do with it as well as the header. Game Doctor is a hard one to convert to properly. But inSNESt does it. It's one of the few tools that actually do what it says instead of jus thacking on a new header. That's why I always reccomend it (that and cuz I've known Nailbomb and CoRPSe for like 6 years :
wink.gif
smile.gif

I really just prefer pro fighter or UFO format images because they're so much easier to work with.

Im curious now, where did you get your UFO if you didn't get the stuff with it? Second hand? Did you have it for the longest time, or is this something you just picked up?

I've had my UFO for two years and ordered it from CD64. It came new in the box. The manual never mentioned it coming with any CD either.

When I saw them in stores, they came with Red, Green, Blue and Yellow CD's. Multi-Game packs. I guess english stores don't offer any extras because theres a bigger chance some US agency or something will try to shut them down for piracy. At least without the extra software, they can claim its for development.

Well, I guess most people like the CDs because:

A. Its free.

B. Comes cataloged with more games than anyone ever needs.

C. Its already split up and converted, ready for CD --> Disk(s).

The only thing they don't have is translated games.

Back