Rpg's, i just don't get them....

I never really owned any RPG's because they didn't appeal to me. I remember my friends as they played Resident Evil and sunk 4 hours per day for 3 weeks into this game. Stupid things like they must "find the key to open the car to get the wrench to fix the hose to put out the fire so they can get accross". Talk about a mouth full.

Anyway, I thought those games were ridiculous and just a waste of time. I can't play a single game that much unless I REALLY like it. I read reviews about how great some of these RPG's and Strategy games are, so I figured I'd try one.

I downloaded Shining Force III. I was basically hoping that it would be a game with action. So after I "strategize", I could go kick some a$$. But that wasn't the case. To my disappointment, all you do is assign the attack and it plays a little clip of you attacking. That is stupid! It isn't fun at all. Not only do I have to sit through boring dialogue, but I can't even fight because the game does it for me. I was hoping there would be some cool action sequences, boy was I wrong. If any of you know a good RPG where you control the action, let me know. Something like Zelda was for NES. You have to think, but you constantly get to fight. Now that is the way I think RPG's should be. I'd like to find one that I can enjoy.

Due to my dislike of RPG's, I can't consider myself a "gamer". I don't sit and play for hours trying to figure out some game. I'd rather find a friend, play him in a Fighter, and be done. I also love sports games. Shooting games are cool too. I just don't like RPG's, though this probably makes me an outcast to the rest of you.

If you know any good NON-RPG games, let me know(fighters, sports, shooters, adventures, etc.). And if you know any RPG's that are action filled, please let me know as well. I'd like to enjoy a RPG, but I am wondering if I can.

Kind of off topic, but has anyone ever played NHL Breakaway 98 for Saturn? I have been looking for this game for a long time now, and am wondering if it is worth it. If you ever played it before, can you give me a small review? I am a huge hockey fan but am looking for an Arcade-style hockey game that is just flat out fun. I am not looking for realism, just fun.

If you like action RPG, try Legend of Oasis. Although I've not played this game yet, I've heard it's sort of like a Zelda type action RPG.

As for non-RPGs (i.e., fighters), I'd recommend Street Fighter Alpha 2; it's the best one in the series (SFA, SFA2, SFA3). It was the reason why I got a Saturn in the first place.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@May 21 2002,09:25

If you like action RPG, try Legend of Oasis. Although I've not played this game yet, I've heard it's sort of like a Zelda type action RPG.

As for non-RPGs (i.e., fighters), I'd recommend Street Fighter Alpha 2; it's the best one in the series (SFA, SFA2, SFA3). It was the reason why I got a Saturn in the first place.
tongue.gif

Thanks, I'll try to get both of them.

Legend of oasis is really great if you like that. Just like zelda. Fighting, but involves leveling up, spells and items. Very great game. Damn hard too, but you will love it.

I have yet to play it. Is the storyline anything like Defenders of Oasis? I used to love that game.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@May 21 2002,10:54

Legend of oasis is really great if you like that. Just like zelda. Fighting, but involves leveling up, spells and items. Very great game. Damn hard too, but you will love it.

Thanks, I hope your right. If not, I will give up on RPG's and stick to mindless fighters and shooters, lol.

You sound just like the typical american gamer, ppl like you are why we never see any sweet Jap games. hehe. Anyways, if you want an RPG that you can control the fighting, try Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2 for PSX. Games kick ass, they are long, and you control all the fighting. It goes into a side scrolling thing where u beat the shit outta ppl. and ToD2 is two players also.

Another game I would recommend for you is Guardian Heroes, you would luv it. Hope this helps, later.

Hi !

I´ll suggest you two games:

a ) Panzer Dragoon Saga: lots of action; an epic history; amazing graphics, sound, and gameplay. If you don´t like it, you are not a human.

b ) Magic Knight Rayearth: great RPG, similar but much better than Zelda. Great sounds, great graphics, good argument... and pure action. A must have ( at least for me ).

Bye !

BJammzz:

I don't own PSX, so that game isn't very likely. But Guardian Heros, coincidently enough, I already downloaded earlier today but have yet to play it.

CHE:

Isn't the Panzer Dragoon Saga 4 Discs long? I found an FTP with all four. I'd rather buy it, but this may be the only way. I will try to obtain Magic Knight Rayearth too.

Thanks for your responses!

Originally posted by CHE@May 21 2002,12:05

Hi !

I´ll suggest you two games:

a ) Panzer Dragoon Saga: lots of action; an epic history; amazing graphics, sound, and gameplay. If you don´t like it, you are not a human.

b ) Magic Knight Rayearth: great RPG, similar but much better than Zelda. Great sounds, great graphics, good argument... and pure action. A must have ( at least for me ).

Bye !

You saying I'm not human?

Originally posted by BJammzz@May 21 2002,14:02

You sound just like the typical american gamer, ppl like you are why we never see any sweet Jap games.

Actually the reason we don't get a lot of these "sweet Jap games" is because they're not so sweet. Barring Seiken Densetsu 3 and Romancing SaGa 2&3, America was not screwed out of any sweet Jap squaresoft games like everyone seems to think. Most of them were experamental titles. It was a time when Square was trying different ideas in games. Sometimes it went well, usually it went shitty resulting in games with interesting gamesplay but terrible story and music (Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure Hunter G, Rudra, it goes on and on).

Many other "sweet Jap games" we didn't get were because frankly they sucked. I cite Elfaria 1&2, G.O.D., and a multitude of other SNES RPGs that just didn't offer anything special.

This really carried over to Saturn and PSX as well. I'd say for every 8 games we don't get, only one of them was moderatly worth getting.

Try to look at it as a company. If you release all your games in Japan, you can find out which ones people enjoy the most and sell best. Then take and sell those best-of-the-best titles overseas. Granted some titles like Dragon Quest V and VI don't make it over because companies like Enix just don't have any faith in American markets, most companies are rather good about it if you look at Square, Capcom, Konami, SNK, etc.

The only games you really completely miss out on are ones by companies with no US contracts like NEC Interchannel. With companies like that your only hope is someone finds the games impressive enough to bring over. That's where you see companies like Atlus bringing over Sammy series like Guilty Gear X or Working Designs bringing over whatever Vic's flavor of the month is (remember when they spontaneously stopped doing RPGs to release a bunch of shooters they fucked the difficulty on? *points at Thunder Force V*).

Not everything made on those four tiny islands is gold. But the majority of the stuff that is does tend ot find its way over in one form or another.

If you're really interested in games we never see, you may want to look into Korean and Taiwaneese markets. There's a lot of really creative, impressive new material coming out of there that America has had zero exposure to.

I couldn't have said it better, myself. All too often people assume just because it was made in Japan, has sw1zz33t anime character designs and anime FMV, and hasn't come out over here, it means it's a great game. Oddly enough, I've found that many of the really poor games I've played fits that description completely. There's a larger percentage of bad console games than one might think.

Originally posted by DBOY@May 21 2002,18:42

WAT IS UP WITH BAHUMAT!!!

ARGLE (SWORD USER)

HE COMES FROM A SMALL VILLAGE OF PEOPLE. HE MEETS YOU AFTER YOU RAID THAT VILLAGE AND DANCE AROUND THE FEMALE STATUE. HE IS A GOOD CHARACTER AND USES A SWORD.

YUO SER AER A TARBLE TRANSLATR!!! NE 1 CN CEE IT IS A SASOOSHYASO, NTO A SWORD!!!

Originally posted by DBOY@May 21 2002,23:44

YUO SER AER A TARBLE TRANSLATR!!! NE 1 CN CEE IT IS A SASOOSHYASO, NTO A SWORD!!!

WTU R YOU TAKING ABOUT I TRANLZTE BATTAR THEN YOU KAN BECUZ I LIVED IN JPN FOR A YER WHEN I AS BURN

BrindA17

There's no need of a RPG to keed you playing several hours straight. I played Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 for 3 hours per day until I finished them zzz

Originally posted by Gear@May 21 2002,23:50

BrindA17

There's no need of a RPG to keed you playing several hours straight. I played Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 for 3 hours per day until I finished them zzz

Have you tried Guilty Gear X?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata+May 21 2002,20:52--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterAkumaMatata @ May 21 2002,20:52)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Gear@May 21 2002,23:50

BrindA17

Have you tried Guilty Gear X?
biggrin.gif
[/b][/quote]

Sure, have you tried Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo ?
biggrin.gif

Back