S Video Cables not working

Hi! I bought a set of S Video Cables for my Saturn off EBay (they are an off brand...I am not even sure if Sega made any official ones)

Here is the link on the ones I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-SATURN-SVHS-S-Vid...1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not getting a picture or sound with them, but when I plug in my Composite A/V Saturn cables...it works fine.

I noticed the connector going into the Saturn on my composite A/V cables is 3 pin...but this is 9 pin.

A friend told me that should not matter and they should work...

I know it's not my S Video on my TV as the Genesis S Video A/V cables work fine...

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Hey DrGamer! Welcome to SX :D

Seems like I had this problem once -- but it was so long ago I can't remember what the issue was...

Have you tried it on more than one TV?

The problem is most likely with the TV. You need to make sure you are looking at the correct channel. Most modern TVs have several A/V channels so you might need to then all. Can I ask what model and make of TV you are using?

Well he said he tested the TV with his genny (he must have his genny modded though as the genny doesn't have Svideo) It could be the cables. I once got Svid cables for my DC and all that displayed was the luminance and no Chroma (so the pic was all black and white) It was because the dumb people hooked up the wrong pins. (which Im doubly pissed about, what if they hooked chroma to the 5v, it would of popped the tube on my TV and 300 dollars down the hole! bastards)

So possibly it could be they wired the cables wrong.

OR

The cable could just be bad

OR

the saturn could be busted on those pins

The cable has 9 pins though because they used a general pin head so that it could be wired for any cable (RGB, Svid, composite, anything that it puts out batively).

I would think it unlikely that the cable is in such bad condition that nothing works. If it was sold on Ebay then surely it was tested before it was sold? Everything points to the Saturn then. Try another Saturn. :p

It cant be my Saturn because my composite A/V cables work fine...gotta be the cables...

And hi racketboy....we meet again! :D

And the Genny was modded and works fine as S Video on the same TV

I'd say it something to do with the cable. It just seems really odd that you're not getting vision or sound...

The only other thing I can think of - is it connected to the Saturn properly?

It may be that because the lead is 3rd party that the custom plug that the Saturn uses isn't quite perfect and would take a little extra effort to insert properly. *shrug*

Originally posted by Kuta@Thu, 2005-07-28 @ 10:21 PM

I would think it unlikely that the cable is in such bad condition that nothing works. If it was sold on Ebay then surely it was tested before it was sold? Everything points to the Saturn then. Try another Saturn. :p

[post=137479]Quoted post[/post]​

I wouldn't say as much... the DC Svid cable I bought that only put out Luminance was from ebay.

Also just because the A/V cable works doesn't mean it wouldn't be the saturn. The pins used for Svid are different.

satpin.jpg

Take a look, A/V RCA cables use "composite", composite is pin 8. Svid used "luminance and Chroma", those are pins 9 and 10. What if pins 9 and 10 are bad!

But like I had stated before, it is most likely the cable. But you can't say its not the Saturn.

3rd party plugs can be hoaky, they might not use that correct parts, do wrong pinouts, the sort like that. Just like Mal says.

Now adays with the lack of old console support, small companies have taken it upon themselves to make these cables. Sometimes these companies are guys like myself making them right out of there own house(not that I sell, but I do make). They don't have the time to test every single one.

I once had a Saturn that would not output using r/f but displayed fine using S-video.. The r/f unit worked on a different Saturn, so I can only believe that it was the Saturn at fault.

Make sure it is inserted correctly, as Mal said the special connector shape is not perfect and it is possible to insert it wrong. One saturn I had to wiggle the cable a bit and then the picture showed fine.

Back