Satourne

Originally posted by fivefeet8@Oct. 12 2002, 3:37 am

Here is a link to some screenshots I made of Satourne running some of my saturn games..

Thanks dude those were sweet -- glad to get some more info.

Does anybody know if duel processers could be utilized? Does it use much of the graphics card?

If they could utililize multiprocessors it could help a ton since the Saturn has many processers to emulate simultaneously.

Multi-processing in PC's isn't really all that great. You only end up with a 40-ish percent increase in speed due to the overhead of keeping the cache synchronised. You only get that if you know what you are doing. Given the application, I don't think you would see significant increases in speed. Also, this would limit the program to people running an NT core OS (NT, 2K, XP) - how many people even bother running two CPUs anyway?

As for the GC, I don't think the current version is using it much at all. I achieved higher frame rates on my 1.2Ghz laptop (Celeron, really crappy video card) than I did on my 900Mhz desktop (Celeron, GF2 MX400), indicating that the CPU is the determining factor. Most likely VidCards will only be used for filtering and buffering GFX in later releases.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 13 2002, 6:35 am

Multi-processing in PC's isn't really all that great. You only end up with a 40-ish percent increase in speed due to the overhead of keeping the cache synchronised. You only get that if you know what you are doing. Given the application, I don't think you would see significant increases in speed. Also, this would limit the program to people running an NT core OS (NT, 2K, XP) - how many people even bother running two CPUs anyway?

Yeah I know that much.

Normally, you don't see much of a difference in dual processors unless you use an application that is designed to use both (multithreaded processing).

I know most people don't have dual processors let alone an NT core, but it was just a thought. However, just because it would support dual processors doesn't mean it wouldn't run on anything less.

So is there only the two sound processors left to emulate on Satourne?

How does it compare to GiriGiri and SSF?

In case you can't tell, I will be so excited when the day comes when I can play any Saturn game on a PC and be able to clear out my entertainment center of one more system and have better load times. (I'll probably still keep the system around for old times sake though
smile.gif
)

Back